Your most meaningful, best or memorable photo(s) of 2015

MN Scout

Supreme [H]ardness
Which of your photo(s) from 2015 stand out in your mind?

Few ideas:
  • Meaningful to you because you took it for a specific reason. Convey a message, or something bad or great happened and you needed to document it.
  • They are memorable and were apart of a greater trip or experience.
  • The photo is your best work of the year because of technical reasons, or the work you put into taking and or editing the photo.

Post up a couple and give a brief description of why the photo(s) stood-out among all the photos you took this year.

My humble list with a bit too much description story text:

My parents shuttled me from MN into MT to start my 1600 mile bike trip. On the way there we stopped at Makoshika State Park in Glendive MT. I had been there twice before. 1st time with my brother where we hiked the trail pictured as part of a 75 mile hiking trip including Glacier National Park, 2nd time with an ex-girlfriend where a strong thunderstorm rolled in and blew the tent away, and now the third time with my parents and their dog. The trail includes a few climbs from the valley up to the top of the hill, and it showed me I may not be fully ready for this big trip.
2015-06-06_Makoshika - Diane Gabriel Trail - by Adam J Bavier - 1024w.jpg

Stood by this waterfall on US Hwy 2 to get a breather from the very warm day biking from East Glacier to Apgar campground a full 60 miles away. Memorable because it feels like the halfway point of the day, that became a lot longer than planned because of a campsite that was closed due to contaminated water. The day also included a gentleman who talked with me way too long about: his brothel, alien overlords, car culture and how to do deals with the indians.:eek:
2015-06-16_US2 Glacier NP Water Fall by Adam J Bavier 1024w.jpg

My first full day in the Canadian wilderness. Woke-up on top of Galton Pass after a hard day of pushing my bike up 8 miles, and was treated to great views on my way down into the Wigwam River valley. Photo taken on special color infrared film. All living leaves and needles are rendered as reddish pink.
2015-06-23_Poorman mountain viewed from Philip Rd in Canada on the Great Divide Mountain Bike Route by Adam J Bavier 1024w.jpg

Very memorable picture for me. Taken south of the Flathead pass near the town of Corbin. The road was the river bed. This was also the first day I fell with the bike, just a bit up the river from where this picture was taken. Thankfully I was moving slowly, and only had a sore shoulder for a week.
2015-06-25_Flathead RD south of Flathead Pass by Adam J Bavier 1024w.jpg

Other memorable events this year: a whole lot of winter biking from January to April, and taking pictures of my sister's wedding in May.

Great shots^

Wow, what a great year, now that I think about it. It would be impossible for me to pick one. I've done so much learning this year, and done so many awesome things. Thanks for getting me all reminiscent and sappy!

Because I can't pick one, here's a few:

Intipata. Incan ruins in the Andes on the way to Machu Picchu on the Inca Trail. I can't really say anything else that the picture doesn't. I was just figuring out Lightroom for this picture, so some work went into "dehazing" (this was pre-LR6 dehaze) the mountains in the back and making the sharpness/clarity/colors of the grass a bit more crisp.
IMG_7791 by J Horton, on Flickr

Wheaton, Il. Lived there for a brief 5 years for work before moving back to Michigan to be with family. Closed out a big chapter of our lives. So long, and thanks for all the fish. This was a trip around town shortly after I got my new camera. We moved only a couple months later.
Wheaton theater by J Horton, on Flickr

And my boy. Because I love him so, and he's changing every day. I suck at taking pics of people - got lucky with the composition and the expression on his face in this one. Easily one of my faves.
IMG_2342 by J Horton, on Flickr

Last edited:
For 2015, this is 1 of my favorite pics during my trip to Glacier NP. This is the beginning of the Logan Pass Trail.

DSC_9388.jpg

These pictures were taken on my vacation to see my dad in Sedona as well as travel with him and my wife to catalina.

Driving to his place after a long flight (and drive from phoenix) from alaska.
https://flic.kr/p/AYiG6w

First night in Catalina, AMAZING place. Special night out, the trident missle was fired over the ocean that night and had a few people freaked out.
https://flic.kr/p/AZuty2

Taken from my dad's porch a few days after we returned to Arizona. I wish Alaska had these clear skies...
https://flic.kr/p/B5yANF

Last edited:
Back