Your Laptop Picture [H]ere (read first post for rules please)

5gErzFZl.jpg

Sager NP-8268-S i7 4810MQ @ 2.8, 970M 6GB, 8GB DDR3, 750GB 7200RPM, adding a 256GB SSD

I will post more pics cause this is the same pic I took about a month or two ago.

Just got my BenQ 24" 11Z. 1ms 144hz. Right now that's just my old desktop hooked up to it with my MSI laptop next to it. Waiting on a DVI Dual link > mini DP adapter to get the laptop on it. Gonna be badass! :)

294s6s5.jpg

10941847_10205741860295611_8483486038898395433_n.jpg

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/3746091

My laptop
System Spec EUROCOM Panther 5 LCD Display 120Hz; 17.3-inch 1920x1080; MATTE VGA Graphics CrossFireX; 8GB; 2x 4GB GDDR5; AMD Radeon HD8970M Memory 16GB; DDR3L-1600 PC-12800 1st Hard Drive 1TB; 7200rpm; SATA3 (6Gb/s); 32MB cache; Hitachi Travelstar 7K1000 2nd Hard Drive 500GB drive 3rd Hard Drive 500GB drive Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 Professional 64-bit; OEM; w/ DVD Media Disk Optical Drive 8x Multi DVD +-RW/-RAM Burner; Wireless LAN 2-in-1; 802.11b/g/n WLAN + Bluetooth 4.0; Bigfoot Killer Wireless-N 1202 Standard AC Adapter 660W (2x 330W) AC Adapter; Auto-switching ;100-240V w/Converter Box (for Maximum XTU/OC/SLI Performance)

unboxing video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITNc8uCwqzY

Last edited:

Always wanted one of these... 8740w with the DC2 panel.
...wish HP/Dell/etc'd stayed away from the MBP-style designs with the recent generations... + full-size keyboards, 16;10 screens, you name it.

Got myself a Surface Pro 3 this week. It's a lot more portable than my Envy 17. :D

i5, 8gb ram, 256gb SSD configuration. Pretty nice deal at Best Buy right now. $100 off sale + $100 off EDU discount + free year of Office 365.

http://i.imgur.com/DT1TUXi.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It depends on the game. On the most demanding games it gets pretty loud, but the heat is typically within spec. With the Cooler Master U2 I've not had it throttle anything yet.

I game with a headset on so the fans don't bother me in the slightest. It's a small drawback given how powerful it is and the convenience of the form factor.

I think going with the 1080p version vs the 4k version helps the heat and noise quite a bit too.

HP 15z beats special edition with 1080p screen, 16GB RAM and 960GB corsair SSD. Pretty quick, get's the job done. Naysayers gonna naysay. :)

IMG_20150628_183436.jpg

IMG_20150628_183505.jpg

IMG_20150628_201000.jpg

some nice inspiration here, recently swapped over to just being a laptop only user

New Lenovo Y50-70.
Core i7 4720HQ
8GB ram
FTX 960m (2gb)
15" 1080P matte screen
1TB+8GB hybrid drive

unnamed.jpg

So far so good (it came in last night). It's really very fast, the gpu is solid (not a lot of gaming done yet, just some Minecraft on the train this morning. The speakers kind of suck, but it has a Dolby app that allows you to mess with them, and I suspect that will fix it. My old Samsung Chronos 7 has AMAZING speakers, and tiny bezels, so this one is taking some getting used to. For $800, I couldn't find anything even close, let alone with a matte screen. That said, the battery life is... rough. 2.5 hours doing little things. That's a LOT less than what I was expecting. Though, I rarely need that much time for non-work activities, so not a huge issue in real use.

Last edited:
How's the fit and finish? Are the keys on the keyboard backlit? I'm kinda looking at getting one, and would like to know more about it before I jump in.

How's the fit and finish? Are the keys on the keyboard backlit? I'm kinda looking at getting one, and would like to know more about it before I jump in.
Yes, and interestingly enough, unlike some keyboards, in full lit rooms, the keymarks show white, but are shown through red when the backlight is on. So in that pictures, you can see the white key marks. But they are red when they are backlit. I will take some pictures later and post them.
Fit an finish is superb. Top lid is black metal. THe bottom is plastic, but dense. The palm rest is a soft-touch I'll have to get used to but is very comfortable to type on. The fan is audible but low-pitched, with a subtle ramp up. i.e., it doesn't go from 0-100%. Very little bloatware. Essentially McAfee IS and about 5 Lenovo apps. 4 are useful system utilities and updaters, the last is a photo app that some people like and others do not.

The hybrid SSD/HDD is nice. It's not as fast as an SSD, but clearly faster than the standard 5400rpm drives OEMs use these days.

The screen is also fantastic. 1080p, but matte finish without any pearlescent effect that can come on cheaper panels. It's IPS so, great viewing angles and deep blacks. It's a TAD saturated/vibrant, but enough to make things pop without overly distorting photos.

Alas, big bezels. My last laptop was this:
Samsung-Series-7-laptop.jpg

So that's something to get used to.
Again, battery life is not awesome. These are Haswell chips, and the reviews show that you can expect, at most, 3 hours of light use. But quad core with HT is nice.
Odd thing, it did not come with Nvidia drivers installed.
tumblr_inline_ncdp0jkPTq1sp8zt4.gif

More info-
http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/lenovo/y-series/y50/

Refresh the page. [H] auto resizes. Ctrl-shift-R if it doesn't.

Er no, in the ten+ years I've been here, I've never seen [H] auto-resize a post, your other ones are fine, just that last one of the keyboard is fuckhuge.

MSI GE72 Apache Pro-242 with 1tb spinner and no ssd, i7 5700 and 16g ddr3l with a 970m... I'm planning on adding a pair of MyDigitalSSD 240GB (256GB) 80mm SATA III 6G M.2 drives to it and raid0'ing them up for the OS disk. Or maybe a single 500G PCIe M.2 disk in the single combo slot... not 100% sure yet but I am going to make use of the M.2 slots one way or another for an OS disk for sure. It's fairly fast on the spinner but that's holding this thing back from being a lightning fast device. I like the keyboard, sound, and display a lot. It's a really solid laptop - just needs some M.2 ssd love.

GE72 Apache Pro-242
CPU Intel® Core™ i7-5700HQ
OS Windows 10
Chipset Intel® HM87
Memory 16GB DDR3L 1600MHz
CPU Speed 2.7 - 3.5GHz w/ Turbo Boost
Screen Size 17.3" Full HD eDP Wide View Angle
Resolution 1920x1080 (16:9)
GPU NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 970M
Video Memory 3G GDDR5
Storage: 2x 250G m.2 ssd (Samsung EVO 850) raid0 (added by me) for OS and 1TB spinner (default drive) for data

IMG_1625_zpsyn2dsidn.jpg

IMG_1624_zpscfzkwra4.jpg

IMG_1622_zpsgqz0vj9g.jpg

IMG_1637_zpsamhuk0sy.jpg

The 17 is HUGE... I am still getting use to it and almost returned it for the 15.6 but I like the extra screen real estate. I think it will be worth it in the long run.

edit: I installed two Samsung 250G 850 EVO m.2 sata ssd cards today and raid0'd them up for the os drive. whoa... 1100mb/s read and 1000mb/s write speeds. I go from power on to a usable win10 desktop in roughly 10 seconds. Queue Andy Samberg spooge face. :eek: :D
I was condsidering a pci-e m.2 card in the combo slot but reading too many posts about issues booting from the pci-e m.2 cards... This'll do for now. ;)

Last edited:
A customer brought in a nice MSI GS60-2PL and I commented how nice it was. He then asked if I wanted one. I didnt take him seriously at all. The next day he came in with one sealed in its original shipping box. We negotiated until we decided on $650 bucks... Holy shit its a good deal and what an amazing laptop. Its insanely light weight and thin, The fact that the coolers are on different sides and suck from the top by the keyboard and shoots them out of 2 vents EACH. this thing stays super cool.
i7-4710QM
850m that can overclock beter then stock 860m numbers.
12gb ram
256 m.2 SSD with another m.2 slot and a full HD slot for upgrades. (in fully ready windows in sub 10 seconds, its amazing)
I was worried I wasnt going to be happy with its gaming performance but I was wrong, Im balls deep into MGS:V, FFXIV, and Rocket league.
IMG_0416_zpsutl3d7y4.jpg

IMG_0426_zpsymhc6ynn.jpg

IMG_0427_zpsb3c837e3.jpg

IMG_0428_zpsfkohjrhi.jpg

IMG_0429_zpsmsytmprq.jpg

I know, right? MSI is making some nice gaming laptops. I got mine for 1099 but it's a little more stout with a 970 and larger screen a little more memory and the cpu might be a bit of a wash depending on what you're doing.. but that slim form-factor is nice. That's a steal for 650. I have to emphasize these things scream with the OS on an SSD - it's nice that comes with one.

My only gripe honestly is the shit-tastic battery @ 1.5 hours to 2 hours of normal use. That and that when you open the laptop up the normal HDD bay doesnt include the cables to hook it up. The 256 m.2 fills up fast when your a MMO player. I called MSI and they banged me 25 bucks to ship the HDD cables which isnt the end of the world. Im IN LOVE with this laptop

Yeah mine is the same 2 hours (6 cell internal battery). Oh well. I love the build quality, screen, keyboard, it's so fast with the OS on raid0 m.2 ssds its almost ridiculous. :)

Yeah 256 would fill up fast. Toss another 500g m.2 ssd and you'll be good for a while.

Just got it yesterday, have already wiped it and gone clean Win 10, keeping very little extra. Road testing it right now ;)

Dell XPS 15 (9550)
i5-6300HQ
2x4GB DDR4
256gb Samsung pm951
GTX 960m
4k IPS Touch Display

Loving it. Expensive for what it is but the build quality leaves nothing out. Not a weird flex or creak in this thing, and it's what I buy for. Gotta last or it isn't worth a damn.

NVOciax.jpg

lMICD9t.jpg

I know the screen looks awful in that top photo, but I just couldn't get a decent shot. It's definitely sharper than my u2711 at home from a usable distance.

This is my HP DV7 4060US 17'3" Laptop that I got for free. Friend bought a similar model with an Intel CPU from a co-worker and had me look at it and it needed a new mobo.
He bought the one pictured below as a parts machine for $50, is an AMD CPU and was only lower body, and we aslo bought a 17" screen for $15 from the same guy, had to fix another laptop
for my friend for another co-worker of his.

After sending his board out to be fixed and having the same issue, black screen when the performance GPU is enabled, he decided to just buy another used board online.
So for me having to tear his machine apart a dozen times and replacing the screen on the other laptop, he offered to buy the parts to complete the AMD one and I could keep it instead of him paying me.
So I went online and bought all the remaining parts, Screen, Lid, Bezel, hinges, drive cables, and drive cages. He reimbursed me for the parts I ordered and I got a decent laptop.
I put in a 128GB Crucial M4 SSD I bought on craigslist for $30, a WD 750GB Black, and 8GB of ram.

This machine doesn't work with Windows 10 as there are no drivers for this machine to enable the dual GPU's, the performance GPU won't enable so it can't even play full screen youtube videos.
Other than that, it has been working great, although I don't use it much as I built a desktop to use in the garage in December of 2014.

hp-dv7-diablo3.jpg

20160514_004721_zpsk9jd2ti8.jpg

20160319_221829_zpsvhzncsuv.jpg

20160319_221837_zpsjeuupbhw.jpg

20160315_234113_zpsh30rw2sb.jpg

Alienware 17 R3
Intel Core i7 6700HQ
8GB DDR4 2133MHz Ram
nVidia 970M GTX 3GB GDDR5
128GB Samsung M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
17.3" 4K IPS Display

ASUS RoG Strix GL502VS-DB71 Gaming Notebook

i7 6700HQ / GTX 1070

I am really happy with this laptop for the $1700 price it had. Fairly light (around 5lbs) so I can take it with as a 2nd computer on work trips (MacBook Pro shown is my work computer). The performance is insane. Screen is just good, build quality is good/great, keyboard is good.

I highly recommend it. Happy to have a great mobile gaming option now (hopelessly addicted to ARK: Survival Evolved, heh).

[click to enlarge]

More pics/specs/benches here.

ASUS RoG Strix GL502VS-DB71 Gaming Notebook

i7 6700HQ / GTX 1070

I am really happy with this laptop for the $1700 price it had. Fairly light (around 5lbs) so I can take it with as a 2nd computer on work trips (MacBook Pro shown is my work computer). The performance is insane. Screen is just good, build quality is good/great, keyboard is good.

I highly recommend it. Happy to have a great mobile gaming option now (hopelessly addicted to ARK: Survival Evolved, heh).

<snip>
[click to enlarge]

More pics/specs/benches here.

Does that thing get warm?

Watched a review on an older model (the one with the 970M) that the back exhaust ports are blocked when the screen goes up and it gets quite hot.

Planning on picking up the 1060 variant, though I find the highlighted WASD keys a little too gamerish.

My other option is waiting for the Lenovo Thinkpad P50 successor with Kaby and a decent Pascal chip

Does that thing get warm?

Watched a review on an older model (the one with the 970M) that the back exhaust ports are blocked when the screen goes up and it gets quite hot.

Planning on picking up the 1060 variant, though I find the highlighted WASD keys a little too gamerish.

My other option is waiting for the Lenovo Thinkpad P50 successor with Kaby and a decent Pascal chip

Same problem exists with this model - temps haven't exceeded high 80s while gaming (fan profiles don't work, yet in Afterburner - so that's with stock fan curve).

Isn't the 1060 variant just $300 less? No SSD, 1060 versus 1070...seems worth it for the extra $300 but to each their own.

If the WASDs are your only problem - you're in good shape. :) It is gamer as F. I guess it could be worse. But I am OK with it. I still can't believe it was "only" $1700. Great value.

Didn't notice the omission of the SSD on the 1060 model. For 300$, the SSD and the extra 1070 is indeed good value. Thanks for your input. =)

I can finally contribute here! Will never buy and/or build another gaming desktop again after my experience with my new Razer Blade. Macbook level build quality (not exaggeration), decent battery life for a quad-core "gaming" laptop with a GTX 1060 inside @ about 5 hours on-the-go. I honestly am amazed they were able to fit all that in a laptop this thin. Fantastic keyboard, great trackpad. Could not be happier. Have it paired up with a Razer Core with a GTX 1080 inside so when I am home I can do some serious gaming. I put a black carbon fiber dbrand skin on the lid to hide the glowing Razer logo, but it looks sick too.

zhKypLP.jpg

rVgjMuY.jpg

vQKj2MW.jpg

Playing some music...

DJ8TSp6.gif

And finally, the completed at-home setup with Razer Core:

OaCyV6N.jpg

gFBGDkG.jpg

Last edited:
Back