Your Laptop Picture [H]ere (read first post for rules please)

Thats good then, hope the m11x will be much more fullfilling to you than it was to me! Personally, just ordered the ASUS G53JW, looks very promising, with to my newly developed standards an indestructable hidge :).

I just recently got an Asus G73SW, and since its the same laptop just different size, id like to let you know you will not be let down by its power. :D

DSCN1157.jpg

DSCN1158.jpg

Actually according to his sig that's an M15x not an M18x. HUGE difference.

Not to alarm you, but i purchased an M11X about a year ago, and they had some sort of announcement about the hidge on the screen. I can 100% confirm that the screen hidge is absolute junk. My screen barely closes, and when it does, i need to push it down for the hidge to pop back into place. I don't feel like i was rough on the laptop, always took care of it, if you recently purchased they may have fixed the problem but its something you should be aware of. Im already going to buy a different laptop, i will never purchase alienware/dell < 1500$ product ever again, too cheap of construction.

So I got one of the first shipments of the R1 m11x, I had the hinge issue and eventually called Dell about it.

Support confirmed that it was a known issue and even though my laptop was out of warranty, they could fix it, 2 days later a guy came by the house and replaced the LCD, couldnt be happier.

I was actually pretty impressed with their support.

DSCF1214.jpg

DSCF1216.jpg

DSCF1218.jpg

My contribution
Neither system is exactly 'new', but they both serve well enough
System on the left:
Dell Inspiron 630m
1.73ghz Pentium M 740
2GB DDR2 4200 (Crucial/Micron)
320gb WD PATA HDD
14.1" LCD (originally 1280x800, now 1440x900)
Dell Wifi card (b/g)
WinXP Pro
Got it brand new in 2006, served me well, even after the warranty died on it and I had to buy a new motherboard for it out of pocket. :mad: Upgraded it a bit along the way, originally came w/ 1gb RAM (2x512) and a 60gb HDD.

System on the right is an Inspiron e1405, the 630m's 'bigger brother'
Core2Duo t7200 (2ghz)
2gb DDR2 5300 (Hynix, want to swap it out for 4gb Crucial)
500gb WD SATAII HDD
14.1" glossy LCD (1440x900) (Don't really like it, might switch the one from the 630 in, should work fine)
Intel wifi card (It's basically a Centrino system now, originally had a Dell POS in it).
Win7 x64 Home Premium (Came with Vista)
Gift from a friend who doesn't need it anymore, trading him the 630m for it.

My new rig while I'm at home for the summer. Going from a 23" 16x9 screen to a 17" 4:3 screen is quite the switch.
FTmvZl.jpg

xjAfXl.jpg

My new Acer TImelineX 4830tg and Griffin Elevator (laptop stand) and I'm really satisfied with it's performance and battery time

Specs:
*Core i5, 2410M,
*8gb DDR3 1066MHz
*GeForce GT 540M 2gb,
*80gb ssd intel x-25 g2

dsc9780r.jpg

dsc9784q.jpg

dsc9785.jpg

dsc9786.jpg

dsc9788t.jpg

My little deployment beast:
[snip pic]

1.3ghz C2D-ULV, 335m 1gb, 8gb ram, 128gb SSD

glad to see I'm not the only one that bought an m11x for deployment haha Idk what I'm going to do with this thing when I get back home

1:
Satellite
T7200
2gig (5300)
200fgig

2:
Asus X83V
T6400
4gig (6400)
250gig
9300M
Tosh%252520and%252520Asus.JPG

3:
Lenovo
T2400
2gigs DDR2

4:
Gateway Netbook
Atom N5something or other
2gig ddr2
250gig
Lenovo%252520and%252520Gate.JPG

I would never buy a thinkpad. We have the T410, T420 and x220 at work, and they just feel cheap to me. We have had quite a few hard drive failures too. Not sure if it is user error or a bad batch of drives. If I had to choose a lenovo it would be a x220 with an SSD and 8Gb of ram. But for now, I will stick to my macbook air, and Dell D630.

what model is that.

It's a x220. Specs are,
i5 2520m
4gb ram 1 dimm(will add another later, cheaper than the whole 8gb from lenovo)
Screen with IPS panel
720p webcam
250gb 5400rpm hdd(already planning to replace it with an intel 320 or a c300)
Intel Centrino advanced N 6205
6 cell battery

I returned my x220 not too long ago. It's fan is always on, even at idle, and is loud (although supposedly latest BIOS fixed that), and would rev up and down when on every 5 seconds.

The display, while having great viewing angles and color, lacks brightness very much. You really need to turn up brightness to max settings to be usable, and anything less than 70% is useless even in a pitch black room. To top it off, it has pretty bad light bleed at the bottom of the screen that many users have. It's only noticeable at dark scenes in films and during bootup, but if you watch a movie, it's quite distracting.

Lenovo support is freaking the worst I have ever seen. And each time you call, you are guaranteed a dude from India that can do nothing other than read from a script. But the bonus is that they try hard to frustrate you more than usual in the process.

The laptop build quality is a mixed bag. Better than your run-of-the-mill Best Buy laptop, but not by a lot despite its price. I don't manhandle gadgets and electronics so haven't had a chance to drop it of course, and I've heard stories of those that did and survived without a scratch, but the material really felt quite delicate. It's just that it's so stiff that instead of bending when dropped, it will crack in half.

Their programmers are a shoddy bunch as well. Just recently they released an updated bluetooth driver to certain laptops that when installed, would literally wipe your C: drive without warning. And reading a thread about this in their official forum, it sounds like it isn't the first time this has happened.

But worst really was the customer support.

Keyboard is pretty good, nothing amazing IMO, but definitely better than any other laptop I've used.

Trackpoint (red nipple) is freaking amazing and it sucks using a touchpad now. It's even better than my sold-off 2010 Macbook Pro touchpad. I miss it really bad. Too bad Lenovo fucking sucks and the older Thinkpads from IBM have batteries that last no more than an hour or two

Before X220 I bought the x120e, and had even worse concerns for the build quality. Returned that and got the X220. Fell for it twice, no more.

Before X220 I bought the x120e, and had even worse concerns for the build quality. Returned that and got the X220. Fell for it twice, no more.
I was considering retiring my ipad in favor of one of these two machines you mentioned. Do you have any recommendations?

I was considering retiring my ipad in favor of one of these two machines you mentioned. Do you have any recommendations?

You mean a recommendation between these two or in general? Personally I don't follow laptop news or anything so I don't have one in general. I'm waiting on the Chromebook because I only do things online. I don't install stuff or anything so I'd recommend that if you do the same. Less things to break or worry about (like defragging or backups or viruses)

But between these two I think the x120e was a better value for the money overall. The screen has the worst viewing angles you can imagine, it is practically useless for watching Netflix, but the x220 has it's own many flaws I have highlighted above, it just costs twice as much for not that great an improvement (but I guess big enough if you need the processing power. For browsing and day to day stuff the x120e is more than enough).

But I'd really stay away from Lenovo if I were you. Don't support them, they're a terrible company.

I was considering a Chromebook but it's priced ridiculously high. $500 for a dual core Atom machine with a free OS? Should be like $300 max.

I was considering a Chromebook but it's priced ridiculously high. $500 for a dual core Atom machine with a free OS? Should be like $300 max.

It is high for the components but if you look at similar netbook prices (well, I only looked at Asus), it might even be cheaper.

12.1 I think is the highest Asus offers (same as Samsung Chromebook), and that is $485 (http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-1215N-PU...-Black/dp/B004V93M1A/ref=zg_bsnr_1232596011_4)

Processor is better and GPU is way better but do you really need them in a netbook? Not really, especially the GPU

The Samsung is $499 for 3G and $429 for Wi-Fi only. So for $50 cheaper you get a non-noticeably weaker computer, no Windows key (big thing for me. OCD sucks lol), much bigger trackpad, better battery life, a slimmer (and better looking IMO) body, and i'd say better build quality (going by stock pictures only).

Good deal among Netbooks I think.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Oh wow...

Do they even teach schoolchildren how to spell "thermodynamics" anymore... let alone what they are?

Not to mention, that if that product actually *worked*, it would instigate a revolution in the way physics is understood to act, on a phenomenally significant level. You can only get less out of a working system then you put in -- in other words, you can't get to 100% efficiency, let alone go above it!

OK, I'll get off my soapbox now, just... wow, damn.

Oh wow...

Do they even teach schoolchildren how to spell "thermodynamics" anymore... let alone what they are?

Not to mention, that if that product actually *worked*, it would instigate a revolution in the way physics is understood to act, on a phenomenally significant level. You can only get less out of a working system then you put in -- in other words, you can't get to 100% efficiency, let alone go above it!

OK, I'll get off my soapbox now, just... wow, damn.

Dude, it's a joke. Lighten up. No one said it's an actual product.

It's a x220. Specs are,
i5 2520m
4gb ram 1 dimm(will add another later, cheaper than the whole 8gb from lenovo)
Screen with IPS panel
720p webcam
250gb 5400rpm hdd(already planning to replace it with an intel 320 or a c300)
Intel Centrino advanced N 6205
6 cell battery

Have you ever used the X201? Thats what I have and its the best laptop I have ever owned. Just wondering how much better the screen is on new one?

Back