Your home ESX server lab hardware specs?

Discussion in 'Virtualized Computing' started by agrikk, Dec 18, 2008.

1. TeeJayHoward

TeeJayHoward Limpness Supreme

It is in the basement. The subpanel’s upstairs in the garage.

2. ND40oz

ND40oz [H]ardForum Junkie

They must do things differently down south. I keep all my equipment in the basement room with the HVAC, subpanels right there and I don't need to worry about sound.

3. Spartacus09

Spartacus09 Gawd

There aren't many basements down south, we dont need to build below the frost line for foundation stability because whats a frost line.
    That combined with all the rivers, swamps, and lakes the water table is usually pretty close to surface level makes it a liability for flooding and costly addon.

If you put the electric panel in a basement thats gonna flood and fry the panel as a matter of when not if.

4. ND40oz

ND40oz [H]ardForum Junkie

I'm talking south of Denver in the Springs...

5. Spartacus09

Spartacus09 Gawd

If you get snow yearly you ain't in the south :p.

6. TeeJayHoward

TeeJayHoward Limpness Supreme

My wife insists that southern Texas isn't "The South".

Me: It's one of the furthest points south you can get and still be in the US...
    Her: No, 'The South' is like North Carolina.
    Me: But North Carolina has 'North' in the name, how is that 'The South'?
    Her: Texas isn't 'The South' or 'Deep South' it's just Texas.
    Me: Well, OK. As long as Texas is still Texas, I guess.

Then we both agree that Alabama is weird and move on. The way I see it, anything south of the Mason-Dixon line is "The South". (And yes, I'm well aware that NC qualifies.) She thinks that any place that has sweet BBQ doesn't count. Pfft. It's like all the radio stations in Denver that talk about being "Southern Colorado's Number One X Station!". Bitch, you're above the halfway point in the state. You ain't south. You're north. Knock it off.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
  7. Spartacus09

Spartacus09 Gawd

Except for Austin they’re weird too and basically a California extension.

8. Majinhoju

Majinhoju [H]ard|Gawd

I'll make sure to check the bios version before I upgrade. This used to be an old work PC of mine so I think I kept the bios up to date. My 5680 should be coming any day now so I"ll report back if it works.

So far It's been a capable minecraft server for my kids. I just need to decide what other games I want to run servers for...

Susquehannock likes this.
  9. Ready4Dis

Ready4Dis Limp Gawd

Well, it's not ESX, I use Proxmox, but I run a Dell R710 with 2x L5640 (12 core/24-threads) with 96gb of Ram and a 5 disk Raid array. Getting a bit old, but still works good for me.

10. Spartacus09

Spartacus09 Gawd

Texas isn’t even top 3 most southern Puerto Rico, Hawaii, and Florida all have more southern areas :p. (Guess it depends if you count PR though)

11. Majinhoju

Majinhoju [H]ard|Gawd

Installing the Xeon x5680 on my T3500 was a success. I was already on bios A17 so it worked with no issues. Now to think of what VMs to install to actually make use of these extra cores and threads, lol.

12. TeleFragger

TeleFragger Gawd

ive gotta get my stuff back up and running... my esxi boxes aren't the issue... I setup an HP z420 e5 xeon with 64gb ecc ram for freenas.

will have to do pics, etc...

so running a few non server class machines has been so quiet....

HP Procurve 6400CL 6 port and all full...
    1. Server 2019 - file share - i5
    2. Windows 10 - plex - i7
    3. ESXI 6.7u2 - vm lab - e5 Xeon
    4. ESXI 6.7u2 - vm lab - e5 Xeon
    5. Freenas - iSCSI - e5 Xeon
    6. Windows 10 - gaming rig - e5 Xeon

Newest freenas wont see my 10gb ConnectX-1 card... but the older one will...put a ticket in with them and gave logs, etc.. they said...
    Can you try to update to FreeNAS 11.3-nightly to see whether new driver version there may fix the issue? Unfortunately we do not use Mellanox cards widely, so I can't reproduce the problem. If the problem still reproducible in 11.3, I'd recommend you con report it to FreeBSD/Mellanox developers, since we never modified the driver.
    so will have to go back to that version as I want to have an iSCSI SSD Datastore for my ESXI boxes...

13. peanuthead

peanuthead [H]ardness Supreme

TeleFragger likes this.
  14. TeleFragger

TeleFragger Gawd

well I am going to find which machine has the ConnectX-2 card in it and try that...
    these are a proprietary port so not a typical SFP+ or RJ45...
    I'm $75 in on all 6 machines being 10gb and wow is it fast...
    even though old hardware, still runs and works great.

copying files from my win10 gaming rig to my server 2019, I get 1.09gb/s
    copying files from my win10 gaming rig to the freenas older version, I was getting 1.9gb/s !!!!!!

15. jlbenedict

jlbenedict [H]ard|Gawd

The lab servers will be getting rebuilt into Windows 2019 w/ Hyper-V Role.

The DL380 G6's seem to have no issues taking 2019 Server, including all hardware/drivers installed without any fuss. Was only able to run ESXi 6.0U3 on these ; no matter what I tried.. version.. etc.. could never get ESXi 6.5 to work on these without locking up. 6.0U3 ran without issues.. but it's starting to approach the point of it not being "modern".

16. jlbenedict

jlbenedict [H]ard|Gawd

Using Starwind converter, I was able to get all of my VM's converted over to Hyper-V format and moved them over to my other DL380, running W2K19 + Hyper-V role..
    - It seems to import them in as Gen 1 VM's with a scsi disk. Once I detached the hard drive and re-added as IDE, they seemed to boot up fine and discover their "new hardware" on the Hyper-V host.

Unmounted my iSCSI datastore from the other DL380 running ESXi 6.0 and shut it down..
    MPIO + iSCSI setup on the new DL380 Hyper-V host ; connecting to same iSCSI lun that was previously connected to my other DL380 ESXi host.
    Two paths to the target ; Round Robin, both paths show "Active/Optimized".. all good
    Rescan disks in Computer management.. bring online, setup simple volume.. format... boom.. all good thus far..
    Migrated one of my lower I/O respective VM's off the local storage to the new drive that is mounted via iSCSI.. (my Plex server)

So far , so good.. not too difficult to manage from my Windows 10 computer, with the built in Hyper-V management tools (+ additional few commands to get connected to non-domain Hyper-V host)

17. leezard

leezard [H]ardness Supreme

I have a very modest "home lab" I picked up a Dell R710 with 96GB RAMand threw a couple of 1TB SSDs in it. Running ESXi 6.7 as host, one VM running Ubuntu Server that runs my Plex install and Nextcloud. I did have pfsense running on it as well, but mucked up my network "tweaking" it. Now I'm just keeping an eye out for a cheap 1u to run pfsense on as a stand alone box.

I'm new to the Plex game so my media currently isnt taking up much space, but I have 6 empty drive slots to expand in to when needed.

18. peanuthead

peanuthead [H]ardness Supreme

leezard shoot me a PM if you are still looking for a pfsense box

19. rflcptr

rflcptr [H]ardness Supreme

Picked up a Dell PowerEdge R620 with 2x Xeon E5-2640v2, 192 GB DDR3, Intel x540 dual port 10Gb, Intel I350 quad port 1Gb, redundant supplies, and a couple of 300GB SAS drives in a 1U chassis. I'll probably end up replacing its fans with quieter Noctua models, increasing the memory to at least 256 GB, and going for SSDs.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
  20. leezard

leezard [H]ardness Supreme

picked up an old ass Dell CS24-SC 1u server with no drives for next to nothing
    dual Xeon CPU L5420
    32GB DDR2
    added 1 250GB SSD

its running pfsense to handle firewall and routing and pfblockerng for network wide ad and malware blocking

I pay the same amount for elec every month so no hit there. Just need/want to mod the fans to run at a lower speed. Its currently no louder than my gaming PC back in the day, but I wouldntmind it being quieter.

21. Zarathustra[H]

Zarathustra[H] Official Forum Curmudgeon

Where I'm from we consider Rhode Island to be the deep South :p