Your home ESX server lab hardware specs?

Discussion in 'Virtualized Computing' started by agrikk, Dec 18, 2008.

1. TeeJayHoward

TeeJayHoward Limpness Supreme

It is in the basement. The subpanel’s upstairs in the garage.

2. ND40oz

ND40oz [H]ardForum Junkie

They must do things differently down south. I keep all my equipment in the basement room with the HVAC, subpanels right there and I don't need to worry about sound.

3. Spartacus09

Spartacus09 Gawd

There aren't many basements down south, we dont need to build below the frost line for foundation stability because whats a frost line.
    That combined with all the rivers, swamps, and lakes the water table is usually pretty close to surface level makes it a liability for flooding and costly addon.

If you put the electric panel in a basement thats gonna flood and fry the panel as a matter of when not if.

4. ND40oz

ND40oz [H]ardForum Junkie

I'm talking south of Denver in the Springs...

5. Spartacus09

Spartacus09 Gawd

If you get snow yearly you ain't in the south :p.

6. TeeJayHoward

TeeJayHoward Limpness Supreme

My wife insists that southern Texas isn't "The South".

Me: It's one of the furthest points south you can get and still be in the US...
    Her: No, 'The South' is like North Carolina.
    Me: But North Carolina has 'North' in the name, how is that 'The South'?
    Her: Texas isn't 'The South' or 'Deep South' it's just Texas.
    Me: Well, OK. As long as Texas is still Texas, I guess.

Then we both agree that Alabama is weird and move on. The way I see it, anything south of the Mason-Dixon line is "The South". (And yes, I'm well aware that NC qualifies.) She thinks that any place that has sweet BBQ doesn't count. Pfft. It's like all the radio stations in Denver that talk about being "Southern Colorado's Number One X Station!". Bitch, you're above the halfway point in the state. You ain't south. You're north. Knock it off.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
  7. Spartacus09

Spartacus09 Gawd

Except for Austin they’re weird too and basically a California extension.

8. Majinhoju

Majinhoju [H]ard|Gawd

I'll make sure to check the bios version before I upgrade. This used to be an old work PC of mine so I think I kept the bios up to date. My 5680 should be coming any day now so I"ll report back if it works.

So far It's been a capable minecraft server for my kids. I just need to decide what other games I want to run servers for...

Susquehannock likes this.
  9. Ready4Dis

Ready4Dis n00b

Well, it's not ESX, I use Proxmox, but I run a Dell R710 with 2x L5640 (12 core/24-threads) with 96gb of Ram and a 5 disk Raid array. Getting a bit old, but still works good for me.

10. Spartacus09

Spartacus09 Gawd

Texas isn’t even top 3 most southern Puerto Rico, Hawaii, and Florida all have more southern areas :p. (Guess it depends if you count PR though)

11. Majinhoju

Majinhoju [H]ard|Gawd

Installing the Xeon x5680 on my T3500 was a success. I was already on bios A17 so it worked with no issues. Now to think of what VMs to install to actually make use of these extra cores and threads, lol.

12. TeleFragger

TeleFragger Gawd

ive gotta get my stuff back up and running... my esxi boxes aren't the issue... I setup an HP z420 e5 xeon with 64gb ecc ram for freenas.

will have to do pics, etc...

so running a few non server class machines has been so quiet....

HP Procurve 6400CL 6 port and all full...
    1. Server 2019 - file share - i5
    2. Windows 10 - plex - i7
    3. ESXI 6.7u2 - vm lab - e5 Xeon
    4. ESXI 6.7u2 - vm lab - e5 Xeon
    5. Freenas - iSCSI - e5 Xeon
    6. Windows 10 - gaming rig - e5 Xeon

Newest freenas wont see my 10gb ConnectX-1 card... but the older one will...put a ticket in with them and gave logs, etc.. they said...
    Can you try to update to FreeNAS 11.3-nightly to see whether new driver version there may fix the issue? Unfortunately we do not use Mellanox cards widely, so I can't reproduce the problem. If the problem still reproducible in 11.3, I'd recommend you con report it to FreeBSD/Mellanox developers, since we never modified the driver.
    so will have to go back to that version as I want to have an iSCSI SSD Datastore for my ESXI boxes...

13. peanuthead

peanuthead [H]ardness Supreme

14. TeleFragger

TeleFragger Gawd

well I am going to find which machine has the ConnectX-2 card in it and try that...
    these are a proprietary port so not a typical SFP+ or RJ45...
    I'm $75 in on all 6 machines being 10gb and wow is it fast...
    even though old hardware, still runs and works great.

copying files from my win10 gaming rig to my server 2019, I get 1.09gb/s
    copying files from my win10 gaming rig to the freenas older version, I was getting 1.9gb/s !!!!!!