Your home ESX server lab hardware specs?

16gb of that is allocated to the minecraft VM alone, with the number of plugins and worlds i run on it, the ram usage does climb up there. not quite 16gb but i've been trying to see what the peak usage is so i can scale it back. the AD VM only has 1gb, same with the NOC VM. The web-server has 4gb allocated to it as i have it also render the game maps for minecraft and it can use the full 4gb. WHS011 has 2GB, never bothered to adjust it after installing.

i run windows 7(probably should use server 2k8 as well) and have PRTG installed for bandwidth monitoring atm, would like to use it for more. I also have tera term for console access(this vm has serial port passed through), and kiwi syslog server. oh and TFTPd32. soon as i get my CMe reconfigured this will be the primary TFTP for it.

Killed my lab somehow :(

Moving my dual socket 1366 board to my storage chassis to get back into an all-in-one (vmware + storage). Installed motherboard, CPU, ram, video card, boots just fine. Added in my HBA and dual port gig card, got fans to spin for 1/2 revolution then dead.

Started pulling out cards, completely dead every time I tried. Power supply spins up just fine jumping the green wire.

Hooked it up to it's old chassis, and PSU clicks constantly (click click click click) and keep trying to spin the fan (PSU fan runs 100% of the time even when the system isn't powered up normally).

Bought it in 11/2009, so I get to decide to get a new s1366 board to use my old components, or wait for Socket 2011. Was planning on getting a second CPU and more ram, but currently between jobs and shouldn't (but really really want to). My ram isn't DDR3 1600, so it also shouldn't be moved to a s2011 if I do go that route.

Luckily still have my s1156 gear, so I still might have a small functioning lab later in the day.

Killed my lab somehow :(

Moving my dual socket 1366 board to my storage chassis to get back into an all-in-one (vmware + storage). Installed motherboard, CPU, ram, video card, boots just fine. Added in my HBA and dual port gig card, got fans to spin for 1/2 revolution then dead.

Started pulling out cards, completely dead every time I tried. Power supply spins up just fine jumping the green wire.

Hooked it up to it's old chassis, and PSU clicks constantly (click click click click) and keep trying to spin the fan (PSU fan runs 100% of the time even when the system isn't powered up normally).

Bought it in 11/2009, so I get to decide to get a new s1366 board to use my old components, or wait for Socket 2011. Was planning on getting a second CPU and more ram, but currently between jobs and shouldn't (but really really want to). My ram isn't DDR3 1600, so it also shouldn't be moved to a s2011 if I do go that route.

Luckily still have my s1156 gear, so I still might have a small functioning lab later in the day.

check to see if you put a extra spacer where it should not have been, ie the spacers between chassis & board. Seen it done lots :)

If no go, take board out place on a card board box and put bare pieces in in , cpu 1 stick ram * video card if needed * see if post.

check to see if you put a extra spacer where it should not have been, ie the spacers between chassis & board. Seen it done lots :)

If no go, take board out place on a card board box and put bare pieces in in , cpu 1 stick ram * video card if needed * see if post.

It's freaking out even just plugging the PSU power, without hitting the power button. The PSU fan is on 100% of the time, even if the computer is off, and it just clicks loudly when plugged in. This is with the ATX/EPS12v connectors, no video, no ram. If I unplug the ATX/EPS power cables, PSU fan comes on normally. (This is with motherboard sitting on top of case with anti-static bag under it)

With the system I was moving it to, it was 100% dead when plugged in, no NIC lights, nothin.

Fun part is that it booted up fine and I was double checking BIOS stuff. Shut it down, added in 2 cards, and after a 1/4 second fan spin up, died.

It has been fixed by ordering new 2u barebones and other stuff I cannot afford :D. I figured if I was going to spend $500+ for a new motherboard, might as well get a more space efficient enclosure with it.

It's freaking out even just plugging the PSU power, without hitting the power button. The PSU fan is on 100% of the time, even if the computer is off, and it just clicks loudly when plugged in. This is with the ATX/EPS12v connectors, no video, no ram. If I unplug the ATX/EPS power cables, PSU fan comes on normally. (This is with motherboard sitting on top of case with anti-static bag under it)

With the system I was moving it to, it was 100% dead when plugged in, no NIC lights, nothin.

Fun part is that it booted up fine and I was double checking BIOS stuff. Shut it down, added in 2 cards, and after a 1/4 second fan spin up, died.

It has been fixed by ordering new 2u barebones and other stuff I cannot afford :D. I figured if I was going to spend $500+ for a new motherboard, might as well get a more space efficient enclosure with it.

bummer :( sorry to hear, were you using a static strap ? Or was this on your kitchen counter wearing rubber shoes and drinking a beer ? :) lol < sorry seen it happen...

you posting specs and pictures of new goodies ?

bummer :( sorry to hear, were you using a static strap ? Or was this on your kitchen counter wearing rubber shoes and drinking a beer ? :) lol < sorry seen it happen...

you posting specs and pictures of new goodies ?

No beer involved, but I've been tempting fate for way too long on killing a piece of hardware with static. It was sitting on a rubbermaid container in the middle of my carpeted living room :D

First possible static kill in 15 years of building computers. Yes, I will be showing off the new gear and rack.

No beer involved, but I've been tempting fate for way too long on killing a piece of hardware with static. It was sitting on a rubbermaid container in the middle of my carpeted living room :D

First possible static kill in 15 years of building computers. Yes, I will be showing off the new gear and rack.

i always wear my static strap, for work AND for home, you just never know when its going to hit ya goodies :(

Waiting for a sunnier day here around Seattle for pics, but here are the raw specs:

Primary (new!!) Vmware server:
Barebones: SUPERMICRO SYS-6026T-URF4+
CPU: 2x Xeon 5520
RAM: 48GB Reg/ECC
HDD: RAID1 750GB mirror from LSI 9211-8i

Has 4x Intel gigabit onboard, IPMI, etc. There was another 2u barebones with 2 10g ports onboard, but it was out of stock, and SFP+. I was planning on getting newer CPU's before my old motherboard crapped out, but these will work for now (was planning on dual 6 core Xeons). I'm also trying to find my low profile bracket for my dual Intel gigabit NIC to bring it up to 6 gigabit ports.

Secondary vmware server:
Mobo: some old ASUS board
CPU: Core2Duo e6600 (dual core)
RAM: 8GB (maxed)
single 1.5GB local storage
single gigabit link

Storage:
Motherboard: X8SIA-F-O
CPU: Xeon X3470 2.93Ghz
RAM: 24GB unreg/ECC
HBA: LSI 9201-16i
drive/pool: 6x 2tb RAIDZ for CIFS storage/sharing, 4x1.5GB RAID10 for vmware/iSCSI storage with SSD cache and log, along with dedup/compression. Dedup is working for guest images on vmfs formatted iSCSI LU.
Network: 2 onboard gigabit plus 2 port Intel nic

Also delivered was a 2u APC UPS, power has gone out a few times here already in the 2 month's I've lived here. I have my storage hooked up to it now for shutdown, not a huge deal if my vmware box isn't shut down cleanly.

Switch is an HP 1910-24g, found some annoyances but overall a nice switch. Main annoyance is if you remove a VLAN, the ports in that VLAN are still tagged as VLAN and have to manually be set back to default VLAN, and almost zero documentation from HP or 3com.

Running ESXi 4.1 on both hosts, will eventually get the $560 kit for 5.0, but will have to wait to spend more money.

Showing first pass and second pass CPU usage on 8 vCPU encoding VM:

Summary page on first boot:

ETA: found out that default VMware options act like single socket/single core. So when I assigned 4 vCPU to win7 guest, it only showed 2 cores, since vmware was trying to assign it 4x single core sockets, and Win7 only supports 2 sockets. Changed the setting and bumped it up to 8 vCPU, so now it is giving the OS 2x quad core sockets, and encoding times went from 5:30 to 1:40 :)

Last edited:
Looking to build a new server box for my house. For the time being it will be mainly to learn Server 08 among other things. I'll probably go with the free ESXi for now, but is there such a thing as overkill?

I do have some concerns with this build (maximum memory, for one) but I am totally open to suggestions.

I plan on running 2-3 server 08 VMs, a file server, an exchange server (for my health), possibly a couple old school video game servers (diablo II, counterstrike 1.6, counterstrike source, for local/personal use so internet speed isnt a huge deal)

5poql.jpg

I plan on building a NAS next. If someone thinks that I could scale down the server and then add in another custom box that would/could be a NAS and keep the total at around 1500, I'm open to ALL OF YOUR IDEAS! (especially if they include more memory)

Looking to build a new server box for my house. For the time being it will be mainly to learn Server 08 among other things. I'll probably go with the free ESXi for now, but is there such a thing as overkill?

I do have some concerns with this build (maximum memory, for one) but I am totally open to suggestions.

I plan on running 2-3 server 08 VMs, a file server, an exchange server (for my health), possibly a couple old school video game servers (diablo II, counterstrike 1.6, counterstrike source, for local/personal use so internet speed isnt a huge deal)

5poql.jpg

I plan on building a NAS next. If someone thinks that I could scale down the server and then add in another custom box that would/could be a NAS and keep the total at around 1500, I'm open to ALL OF YOUR IDEAS! (especially if they include more memory)

Socket 1155 is dual channel, meaning you want either 2 or 4 sticks of ram. It also does not support registered ram. It needs either unbuffered/ecc or unbuffered/non-ecc, although ASUS website doesn't list ECC support anywhere on its spec page.

Socket 1155 is dual channel, meaning you want either 2 or 4 sticks of ram. It also does not support registered ram. It needs either unbuffered/ecc or unbuffered/non-ecc, although ASUS website doesn't list ECC support anywhere on its spec page.

It's in the manual, it's very alike my server need 2 sticks or 4 sticks ( pairs ) 3 sticks it won't like.

any better option in your opinion (besides the ram change) for a system around that price?

any better option in your opinion (besides the ram change) for a system around that price?

I haven't done much research for socket 1155, but personally I like Supermicro boards with onboard IPMI and onboard video for systems I never plan on using as workstations. However I know Asus has a pretty good reputation for workstation and barebone servers. As long as it has the virtualization options (which your CPU has), it's just brand preference for motherboard/drive/RAM.

I've been using Kingston RAM in my systems, and have been happy with them. Other than the RAM change, your selection looks good. One option you can switch out for lower cost is the case.

<snipped image out>

1x Dell PowerEdge T110-II (E3-1230) $536
2x Kingston 8GB (2 x 4GB) Server Memory Model KVR1333D3E9SK2/8G $160

$700 Subtotal.
$400 for your spec drives
---------------
~$1100 (before tax/shipping)

Only downside: to max out memory at 32GB, would cost ~$1000 - $1600
as 8GB ecc unbuffered modules are insanely priced right now.

If you know you are going to need more than 16GB, then this server is probably
not cost effective - time to look at a system that supports registered 8GB modules.

Forgot ... no iKVM .... but you do get poor mans IPMI (power on/off + some monitoring)

Last edited:
1x Dell PowerEdge T110-II (E3-1230) $536
2x Kingston 8GB (2 x 4GB) Server Memory Model KVR1333D3E9SK2/8G $160

$700 Subtotal.
$400 for your spec drives
---------------
~$1100 (before tax/shipping)

Only downside: to max out memory at 32GB, would cost ~$1000 - $1600
as 8GB ecc unbuffered modules are insanely priced right now.

If you know you are going to need more than 16GB, then this server is probably
not cost effective - time to look at a system that supports registered 8GB modules.

Forgot ... no iKVM .... but you do get poor mans IPMI (power on/off + some monitoring)

Dang, I was kinda wanting to build one but I'll look into this as well.

Dang, I was kinda wanting to build one but I'll look into this as well.

Do you have a rack ? Or does it have to be a tower ?

Newegg just put up the new asus 1u server that is 4 bay for 500$ its silent FAST and cheap to build :)

I love mine, ( both ) only 4 drives tho, but i see that in your original post you are going to use 4 drives.

There is also a model same as what im describing but 100$ more too but quad gig nic's.

Dash- Its only 4-bay, but why not use like 2-3tb drives? you'd get 8-12tb of raw space.

Home Lab: See sig

VMware Workstation 7 (getting 8 soon)

ESXi 4.1 Hypervisor

I am eventually going to get a dedicated server, really grown to like the Proliants I get to play with at work but they are a little pricey.

Work Lab: (2x) HP DL380 G7 w/ X5670, 20 GB RAM, 2x 146GB 15K SAS RAID0

Currently testing vCSHB 6.4 w/ ESXi 4.1 Enterprise Plus

Do you have a rack ? Or does it have to be a tower ?

Newegg just put up the new asus 1u server that is 4 bay for 500$ its silent FAST and cheap to build :)

I love mine, ( both ) only 4 drives tho, but i see that in your original post you are going to use 4 drives.

There is also a model same as what im describing but 100$ more too but quad gig nic's.

don't have a rack but i wouldn't mind having to get one :)

So I'm either going with something like that (see above) but my first choice is to build it myself.

Where is the best place to see if certain hardware works? I tried the HCL but idk what i'm looking at. It doesnt seem to be for individual parts. Trying to build from newegg.com but I dont know what parts I can choose from! I'm wanting to use ESXi 5.0

So I'm either going with something like that (see above) but my first choice is to build it myself.

Where is the best place to see if certain hardware works? I tried the HCL but idk what i'm looking at. It doesnt seem to be for individual parts. Trying to build from newegg.com but I dont know what parts I can choose from! I'm wanting to use ESXi 5.0

what is your budget ? How many vm's you plan on running ? Only reason i linked the asus is because it's cheap easy to build and works with esxi 4+ &^

Edit :

Just so you know i have less than 700$ into this server as it sits with 12 gigs ram, imordering 32 gig's in a few weeks, each stick 70$ so it's really not that expensive to build this server with hdd's ram cpu etc etc.

Last edited:
what is your budget ? How many vm's you plan on running ? Only reason i linked the asus is because it's cheap easy to build and works with esxi 4+ &^

Edit :

Just so you know i have less than 700$ into this server as it sits with 12 gigs ram, imordering 32 gig's in a few weeks, each stick 70$ so it's really not that expensive to build this server with hdd's ram cpu etc etc.

An extremely rough estimate would be..

3 Server 08
1-2 XP for old school game servers
1 some linux distro

So something like 5-7. I was going to try and see if I could build the server + a NAS for ~1500. Would like the server to be as beefy as possible. 24GB ram minimum but 32 would be sweet. Also, I'm not totally opposed to the rack setup but I'd have to purchase the rack etc. For some reason I think I want a tower for now.

I just don't know how I'm supposed to know what hardware will work.

3 Server 08
1 some linux distro

So something like 5-7. I was going to try and see if I could build the server + a NAS for ~1500. Would like the server to be as beefy as possible. 24GB ram minimum but 32 would be sweet. Also, I'm not totally opposed to the rack setup but I'd have to purchase the rack etc. For some reason I think I want a tower for now.

Have a spare desktop machine ? Download ESXI5 install it to a usb stick boot the unit, should work just fine. If it doesn't research why it doesn't work.

The last time i tried it, i installed it on a core 2 duo 4 gigs ram and a 160 gig drive ran perfectly.

Have a spare desktop machine ? Download ESXI5 install it to a usb stick boot the unit, should work just fine. If it doesn't research why it doesn't work.

The last time i tried it, i installed it on a core 2 duo 4 gigs ram and a 160 gig drive ran perfectly.

Are you saying I should be able to do all of that on a spare desktop machine?

I don't have one but thats interesting.

Maybe, but it would need to be a spare with a quad core and 16-24gb ram. unless only 1-2 run at the same time

What do you guys think about this? 2 cases on the list because I haven't decided between either.. Still need PSU.

Anyone?

Sjyol.jpg

looks good to me for a starter, eventually server ram can be bumped up for beefing, but this server looks good.

3 Server 08
1 some linux distro

You'd be fine with 16GB to start off with - just make sure your new build / purchase
can expand to at least 32GB or more.

What do you guys think about this? 2 cases on the list because I haven't decided between either.. Still need PSU.

Anyone?

<snipped image>

The only issue I see is the motherboard seems to require UDIMM and
you have RDIMM on your list.

8GB RDIMM = ~$90 - $100 each
8GB UDIMM = ~$250 - $300 each

Last edited:
PE_T110_2.png

+

3x Kingston 12GB (3 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM ECC Unbuffered Server Memory $345

~$1600 delivered
Two main hosts:
- Remove included memory (2GB) and hard drive (250GB)
- Install 4x4GB in each host
- Install USB drive for booting

One Storage Host:
- Add memory (6GB total in this host) and hard drives (3x250GB) pulled from other two hosts.
- Install FreeNAS or your free storage platform of choice.

Just an idea of what's possible for just the server hardware.
(Dell Deal ended recently but pops up now and again)

Additionally:
Add an extra NIC, for storage traffic.

Add a cheap unmanaged 5 or 8-port switch

I am building a new Citrix lab based off the server hardware above
except each host will have 16GB and solid state boot drives (SSD or USB).
This Citrix lab will become my home "production" setup.

+

~$1600 delivered
Two main hosts:

One Storage Host:
- Add memory (6GB total in this host) and hard drives (3x250GB) pulled from other two hosts.

Additionally:

after working on these things for a living, id defiantly buy one. Very well built and wicked support. Parts show up fast, ( depending on plan ) it's with in 4 hours for me here ..

That kills it for me. Starting over :p

Id just look for a nice desktop board that supports up to 32 gigs ram and go from there. You aren't building a business machine, only something for home use so no need for some heavy dutie skookum machine.

The asus server i showed you takes ram sticks that cost 79$ each 8gig sticks too. 4 x 8 32 gigs..

OR buy the dell server he ^^^ quoted you...

PE_T110_2.png

+

~$1600 delivered
Two main hosts:

One Storage Host:

Additionally:

How do you manage to get Dell servers for so cheap? The cheapest I can see is $380 each, times that by 3 and it's well over the $1,000 price point you've quoted above.

How do you manage to get Dell servers for so cheap? The cheapest I can see is $380 each, times that by 3 and it's well over the $1,000 price point you've quoted above.

The invoice/quote I posted was from Dell and to get the savings,
you had to watch your favorite deal site for a coupon code that
happened to stack with any current promotions.

Example thread where I got the 3 systems for $1200 (delivered):
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1644841

The coupon happened to stack with an ongoing promotion
(see the two items in red print), so I got them for < $400 each delivered.

Pointless to try now ... I have seen the price jump three times in just a few days ...
I am guessing due to supply/demand of drives and other parts from over seas.

Pictures of my new setup in networking thread here

2x 4C/4HT Xeons and 48GB of ram

A client of mine was doing 'spring cleaning' and gifted me an his unused Dell T610 with single Xeon E5530 and 8GB of ram. Wiped the Server 2008 install, tossed ESXi 4.1 on there and have been running Windows Home Server 2011, MineOS and a few other test OSes for practice/studies. She's my babe:

Side off

Already spec'd out a second E5530 and an additional 8GB of memory.

Back