Your Friends Are More Popular Than You Online

HardOCP News

[H] News
Do you ever get that feeling that everyone on Facebook and Twitter have more friends that you do? According to a new study, that's probably because everyone does have more friends than you. The good news is that not giving crap about stupid studies like this still makes you cooler than everyone else. :cool:

No, it's not just in your head — new research says that your friends probably are more popular than you. It's one in a series of findings supporting what sociologists call "the friendship paradox." Basically: on average, you are likely to have fewer friends than your friends do.

How dumb. First that it's about social media and then that they're stating a paradox. Your friends can't have more friends than you on average unless you (meaning every person in the world) are somehow different from them. Since you (any person in the world) is a random variable this 'study' is wrong.

I don't have any friends, so they can't have any more than me since they don't exist. Busted.

How dumb. First that it's about social media and then that they're stating a paradox. Your friends can't have more friends than you on average unless you (meaning every person in the world) are somehow different from them. Since you (any person in the world) is a random variable this 'study' is wrong.
No. Way more people are linked to a group of well known people than they are to each other. There are fewer people with lots of links. Basically this is just stating that you're probably not someone important enough to have a large number of friends. On average people are not important.

Most of those people aren't really 'friends'. They're just contacts of other contacts. Anyone who really believes that every facebook 'friend' or twitter follower is a friend, is seriously delusional; and that includes the folks that do these ridiculous studies.

I have some of real friends that has way MORE facebook friends than mine. Do I feel intimidated by this? Not at all. I don't believe that they really have THAT many real friends IRL. It's just to aggrandize their friend status.

Hi All

As I don't have a Facebook or Twitter account, I'm not surprised.

No. Way more people are linked to a group of well known people than they are to each other. There are fewer people with lots of links. Basically this is just stating that you're probably not someone important enough to have a large number of friends. On average people are not important.
Wrong. They didn't exclude 'well known people' so you (random) means also the most popular person in the planet. By definition the most popular person on the planet cannot have less friends than his friends.

Also having a celebrity as a Facebook 'friend' hardly qualifies for friendship.

Don't belong to Facebook, Twitter, or any "social" networking site, so everyone likely has more so called "friends" than I do.
I don't care about any of that, so I guess that makes me ultra cool :cool:

Wrong. They didn't exclude 'well known people' so you (random) means also the most popular person in the planet. By definition the most popular person on the planet cannot have less friends than his friends.

Also having a celebrity as a Facebook 'friend' hardly qualifies for friendship.
Actually, you're wrong. On average. On average. On average. On average people are not famous. They aren't saying it's true for everyone. They are saying it's true 'on average.' By definition there's obviously no way this could be true for everyone on the planet.

Actually, you're wrong. On average. On average. On average. On average people are not famous. They aren't saying it's true for everyone. They are saying it's true 'on average.' By definition there's obviously no way this could be true for everyone on the planet.
So an average person has less friends than his friends, on average. Again makes no sense whatsoever. A part of people have less friends than average and some more but on average there is only one average.

Most of those people aren't really 'friends'. They're just contacts of other contacts. Anyone who really believes that every facebook 'friend' or twitter follower is a friend, is seriously delusional; and that includes the folks that do these ridiculous studies.
So the title would more accurately be, "On average most people have at least one friend who has more friends than they do"?

people have friends, people who pretend to be friends and people they hang out with from time to time. Me I figure be a good friend to your friends and the rest will either betray you and run off laughing they hurt someone then have no friends while your friends share a beer with you, and the others either become friends or strangers over time. Oh an well their are the girl friends lovers and such but they usually are friends first even if a very short time, followed by either being a good friend for the rest of your lives or they betray and end up hating everyone one... you can help the them just avoid them. The others well from what I can tell if you ever figure out what a woman is wanting she will change her mind to be mysterious, which leads to entertaining but award times. Those usually work out when she figures out how to be mysterious without you guessing what she wants or she marries you and grins when you know what she wants... or well she becomes one of the old poor women you hate everyone because they thought they wanted a door mat instead of a lover... those you see them walking little dogs and glaring at everyone. I try not to giggle at them and avoid them. But life is not something to waste on the people who are not your friends the meaning you get out life is from the people's lives you make better, anyone can be mean spiteful or evil but it takes a tough man to actually admit helping people is good thing, and tougher one to walk the path of being decent to the ones that need not just the pretty faces.

So the title would more accurately be, "On average most people have at least one friend who has more friends than they do"?
No, it's 'on average the average number of friends of your friends is larger than the number of friends you have.'

The last time I used FaceBook ended up with an encounter with my ex-wife. No thanks.

Back