Votes: 5 3.0%
  • The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

Votes: 8 4.8%
  • The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

Votes: 24 14.5%

• Total voters
MrBojangels said:
Cell shading isn't art.

Cell shading is the "sophisticated, cultured and gay" style of art in games. I agree that it looks more like the kind of stuff a six year old doodles in kindergarten.

Oh geez. I don' t know how you could play windwaker and not think the art was top notch.

oh and just a note...nobody has voted for zelda 2 :) I remember that being probably my greatest letdown in video game history. First zelda was so incredible, then this side scrolling turd came out and I was crushed.

Technoob said:
Oh geez. I don' t know how you could play windwaker and not think the art was top notch.

If I want art, I'll go to an art museum, or play a Final Fantasy game. I want graphics in my games, not art.

krameriffic said:
If I want art, I'll go to an art museum, or play a Final Fantasy game. I want graphics in my games, not art.

I think you've got some kind of bias against cel shading; while I agree that nothing in gaming (including Final Fantasy...fucking worthless) is really art per se, cel shading has created some excellent visual style for games like Okami, DBZ: Budokai, Killer 7, and the Viewtiful Joe series. I'm not saying that it makes the games good, but it certainly gives them their own character.

krameriffic said:

Graphics = art. I'd say twighlight princess is excellent art as well. So is gears of war. All three have great graphics. They're not mutually exclusive. And like the other guy mentioned, see okami for another great graphical/artistic show of force.

quadnad said:
I completely disagree. I love the graphical improvements as well as the older and more mature look of TP.

There's nothing "more mature" about an elf kid on a quest to save the world *regardless* of how you present it. TP is just *ugly*. Aside from the characters, who are well done, the environment textures are muddy and low-rez and just plain look bad. Wind Waker didn't suffer from those problems *at all* because of its art style.

I'd have much rather seen the "grown up" link presented in the style of WW. They could have used some darker colors and otherwise designed the game exactly the same as TP (in terms of gameplay, not graphics) and it would have been worlds better.

krameriffic said:
Cell shading is the "sophisticated, cultured and gay" style of art in games. I agree that it looks more like the kind of stuff a six year old doodles in kindergarten.

As has been stated before, WW was NOT Cell Shaded. Ignorant graphics n00bs alone call it Cell Shaded because they don't know the difference, which is *night and day*. And moreover, it's not about being "sophisticated, cultured and GAY", you bleeding homophobe, it's about presenting the game's art in a way that is fresh and unique. Wind Waker accomplished that, while Twilight Princess--which is still a great game--takes several giant steps BACKWARDS and ends up looking more or less just like the 10 year old Zelda games and goodness knows how many imitators and retreads since.

I vote for A Link to the Past. Besides all the forementioned points, and the fact I was the right age to really enjoy it, I really like how you just immediately start playing. I just got a wii with zelda yesterday, my sister asked my when I was going to start playing, and I had to reply "not for a while, I need to set aside a good hour or two just to get through the standard beginner's bullshit before I can actually get into it"
ALthP:
You wake up
Telepathically realize the princess is in trouble
grab that sword and go!

TP:
Talk with your dad
grab your horse
herd some cattle
save a cat
knock down a beehive with some yet unexplained hawk friend
get a cradle back from a monkey dancing on some lone boulder
get a fishing pole
presumably get a slingshot?
...who knows, I had to quit before I OD'ed on lameness and my legs were asleep anyway

chomsky said:
I vote for A Link to the Past. Besides all the forementioned points, and the fact I was the right age to really enjoy it, I really like how you just immediately start playing. I just got a wii with zelda yesterday, my sister asked my when I was going to start playing, and I had to reply "not for a while, I need to set aside a good hour or two just to get through the standard beginner's bullshit before I can actually get into it"
ALthP:
You wake up
grab that sword and go!

TP:
Talk with your dad
grab your horse
herd some cattle
save a cat
get a fishing pole
...who knows, I had to quit before I OD'ed on lameness and my legs were asleep anyway
qft.....this game does start out slow...though i'm sure it gets better when you get passed the first dungeon.

retardedchicken said:
Rupees useless in TP? Say that to the 3598 it takes to buy the magic armor...
Which isn't at all necessary to win.

I faced the end boss before I realized the game was ending. I went back and did the cave of ordeals then got the magic armor.

chomsky said:
TP:
Talk with your dad
grab your horse
herd some cattle
save a cat
get a fishing pole
That's the first.. oh, hour or two of a 45-hour game. It slowly builds momentum but it never gives up.

retardedchicken said:

What? I got the magic armor for 500 or 600 at walo mart in the castle town.

Devnull said:
What? I got the magic armor for 500 or 600 at walo mart in the castle town.
But you need to pay for the bridge and the shop, which accounts for the other 3000.

DragonMasterAlex said:
I'd have much rather seen the "grown up" link presented in the style of WW. They could have used some darker colors and otherwise designed the game exactly the same as TP (in terms of gameplay, not graphics) and it would have been worlds better.

A grown up version of Link wouldn't have worked in the cartoonish style of WW, at least not in my opinion. The look is too young...

What I meant about the story was that it was darker, and less altruistic and happy-go-lucky in the way it was presented. I think graphically it is a good looking console title, even though I'm normally a PC gamer.

kumquat said:
But you need to pay for the bridge and the shop, which accounts for the other 3000.

If you do the hot spring water quest, it only takes 200 rupees instead of 2000 at the second point of donations ;D

Has to be OOT. No Navi interaction hurt TP. Plus growing through 3 stages and many other goodies made OOT amazing.

What an amazing game.

DragonMasterAlex said:
It wasn't Cell Shading. It was a SIMILAR technique, but it would take an art ignoramous to make that claim. Wind Waker was FAR more attractive to look at than TP is. The specific technique is called "Toon Shading", and if you can't tell the difference between it and Cell shading, you really need an education in art.
Cel shading and toon shading are the same thing.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cel_shading
First line. While wind waker was nice to look at TP, imo, is a much better looking game and not only due to art direction. The environments are more complex and alive, the models are more detailed, the textures are more complex, the lighting is leaps and bounds above WW, and there is simply more diversity in what you are looking at (due in part to the game not being set in an ocean).

Link to the past > all

Minish cap is also good because it's basically the same game. I hope they make more with the same gameplay as these.

I really enjoy A link to the past, but I recently picked up twilight princess for the gamecube, and from what I have seen so far, it may well dethrown a link to the past, as my favorite.

retardedchicken said:

you don't need that many rupees to buy the magic armor.

and you really only need it for the cavern of trials, anyway.

retardedchicken said:

3598 rupees? I haven't figured out how to get more than 300. Where did you get the fat wallet? I keep having to put rupees back in chests because my wallet is almost always full. :). Or did you just actually take the time to add up how much you spent throughout the span of a quest?

ryan_975 said:
3598 rupees? I haven't figured out how to get more than 300. Where did you get the fat wallet? I keep having to put rupees back in chests because my wallet is almost always full. :). Or did you just actually take the time to add up how much you spent throughout the span of a quest?

Take a couple golden bugs to the girl in the castle town. She will give you a wallet that holds 600. Once she gets all the bugs you get an even larger wallet.

also, I don't think it costs that much for major armor. If you talk to the dude outside of walo mart in kariko village and you run the hot spring water for him its only like 1200 or something.

ryan_975 said:
SPOILER WARNING!

1000 is the maximum you can hold. The bug girl gives you the bigger wallets in exchange for bugs. Tip: go to the bug girl with empty pockets (donate to the priest in Castle Town or to the Bridge Fund in Kariko Village) because she gives tons of money for the bugs. If your wallet is full but you have more bugs to give her, go donate your money and then go back.

chomsky said:
TP:
Talk with your dad
grab your horse
herd some cattle
save a cat
get a fishing pole

Judging TP, on what amounts to the tutorial level is rather lame, in my opinion.

Draax said:
Judging TP, on what amounts to the tutorial level is rather lame, in my opinion.

qft

All the areas in the first village as well as parts of the first dungeon are basically an intro to the playstyle of Zelda for those who don't know the puzzling ways :D

A Link to the Past is still my favorite game, overall.

Why?

Grab that sword and go, as previously mentioned.

I *DID* however, enjoy OOT an *amazing* amount. Going through the quest to get the Biggoran Sword was a trip, and well worth it, imho. I loved that sword.

And yeah, I think N did a great job with the grown-up Link. The time travel brought a very nice element to the game, but I still think ALttP edges it out :)

BTW - am I the only one that *loved* Ganon's personality in WW? I just thought they did an AMAZING job with Ganon!

It wasn't Cell Shading. It was a SIMILAR technique, but it would take an art ignoramous to make that claim. Wind Waker was FAR more attractive to look at than TP is. The specific technique is called "Toon Shading", and if you can't tell the difference between it and Cell shading, you really need an education in art.

So what is the difference between cel shading and toon shading? As another poster said, Wikipedia says they're the same thing. Of course, Wikipedia is not the undisputed authority on art, so I'm curious to know if there really is a difference. A quick google search didn't give me any answers. I'd appreciate it if you could show some examples that illustrate the difference, or at least explain it.

By the way, I do have education in art.

ALthP:
You wake up
grab that sword and go!

TP:
Talk with your dad
grab your horse
herd some cattle
save a cat
get a fishing pole

Complete Agreement. I just got done playing through A Link to the Past again. Probally on my Top 10 list of all time favorite games.

I voted Ocarina of Time as it was one of the most influential games I've ever played in my life. It was also the first game of its kind (ever!) and really shifted the market to where we are today. Although I was tempted to vote for Links Awakening, I did not see it up there...

My favorite has always been the original zelda 1. Still have my original nintendo with the zelda gold cartridge ;).

I voted for OOT, because i thought the ending rocked!
I liked Link to the Past much more in terms of gameplay, but the ending... well...

After Zelda II (which I'm trying to beat right now) Twlightlight Princess is my 2nd to least favorite, just boring and annoying... maybe I'm jaded?

ICO and Shadow of Colossus were frickin' amazing though, and I just played them recently (after TP) couldn't help thinking it would've been cool to see the zelda games take this sorta direction instead...

I also never got into majora mask, not sure what made that game fun at all, too stressfull I think!

Back