Your favorite Vista tweaks?

VistaGlazz - Does the work for you in hacking the theme files so you can load custom visual styles

DeskHack - Allows you to see the names of your visual styles in the properties instead of seeing multiple Windows Aero entries

ISO Recorder - Awesome little app that allows you to burn ISOs and create them with a right click

Make sure you turn on Block All Incoming Connections in your Windows Firewall properties since its not enabled by default.

Other programs:
Avast AntiVirus (free, just sign up for a key)
CCleaner (free)
7-Zip x64 (free)

- Run all Installs as Admin if you can (.msi files wait until you start the install process and then ask to run as admin) to get rid of any issues.

thats all i got...yeah not really tweaks but good programs to use :)

Just installed it? What's next?

Option 1:

Install some programs and then USE the thing, learning about it as you do so. Live happily ever after.

Option 2:

Follow every stupid 'tweaking guide' you can find, which purports to tell you how to make Vista 'better', then join the long line of other such people who are already whinging and whining about how Vista "sucks" or "doesn't work!"

True story ;)

Turn off Aero (on my laptop), run windows update, enjoy.

Seriously though, I do not have really any tweaks, I like it the way it is and have had plenty of XP installs screwed over by "tweaks" and tweaking programs.

I just got 64bit Business up and running and updated. whats next?

Congrads to you.

My 64 bit Ulitmate try tanked. Now my 32 bit giving me a blank screen. Now, I just want to prove to myself I can do this install. I may not even use it except for Halo2

My fav Vista tweak is:

1)format c: /q ;
2)*presses "y" key for "yes"*;
3)Put XP disc on optical drive and boot from it;
4)Install XP;
5)Enjoy a system without bloatware allover;

There aren't too many tweaks to do. If you are experiencing network file copy slowdowns, you can disable IPv6 in your network properties, and that should speed things up....along with disabling the two entries that start with Link Layer.

Vista works pretty well out of the box, assuming you're loading the right drivers.
Ah yes, spoken true as someone who didn't give Vista much of a chance, if a try at all. I'd love to see this type of misinformation not be allowed. Notice how the people who coomplain about Vista don't really have enough experience with it to even say what they don't like? Maybe 2% of the complaints actually give usable info. Nice.

Yep.. Vista really isn't any more "bloated" than XP was/is.

On my system, Vista x64 is a lot more responsive than XP ever was... and Vista 32-bit was also more responsive than XP.

I disable the built-in Zip file handling -

As an administrator, run Regedit.
Navigate to: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{E88DCCE0-B7B3-11d1-A9F0-00AA0060FA31}\ShellFolder
Edit the value of 'Attributes', changing it from 0x200001a0 to 0x000001a0.
Logoff & log back on.

Then install something like WinZip, WinRAR, or 7-Zip. This gets rid of the clutter (IMHO) with Zip files showing as folders, and it also means Explorer doesn't take the time to look through every Zip file when you browse a folder.

My fav Vista tweak is:

1)format c: /q ;
2)*presses "y" key for "yes"*;
3)Put XP disc on optical drive and boot from it;
4)Install XP;

Excellent advice couldn't have said it better myself!

Yep.. Vista really isn't any more "bloated" than XP was/is.

On my system, Vista x64 is a lot more responsive than XP ever was... and Vista 32-bit was also more responsive than XP.

That may be true on selected cached applications but one look at the process list tells you the true story.

Back