Your Favorite Remote or Keyboard setup for HTPC

Guido02

Limp Gawd
I am trying to find a good setup for my HTPC. I dont know if I should go after a remote, or a wireless keyboard with a mouse built into it. Or maybe something else completely, but I was hoping to get some input from everyone who has their rigs running already.

So what are you using to control your HTPC?

I use a logitech 880 remote to control my media center and all my other AV equipment. I also have a logitech PS3 media board wireless keyboard with touch pad under the coffee table in case I need to do something outside of XBMC. Has worked out really well so far.

I use, with a high WAF, a logitech 890 RF remote with the lenovo HTPC keyboard/trackball.

90% of the time we use the 890, but every once in a while you just need a keyboard n

I use this IOGear Multimedia Keyboard

not to small and not to big. the track ball is not to bad. when I game i use a wireless mx1100 mouse. i dont have a remote for my htpc....

I use this same keyboard in addition to a $25 remote.

Most of the time I just use the remote. If I ever need to break out the keyboard it's there and waiting.

I use, with a high WAF, a logitech 890 RF remote with the lenovo HTPC keyboard/trackball.

90% of the time we use the 890, but every once in a while you just need a keyboard n

Same reason I got the 880. Wife said she was tired of using 3 remotes and a keyboard. Have it all programmed on the remote, but I still have the keyboard for doing windows updates and getting software and such.

I have a Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5000 keyboard and mouse combo set aside for my HTPC because it's RF instead of IR. Longer range and no line of sight required. Those are kept under my couch in case I need them. 99.999% of the time I only need my Harmony One remote for everything.

The only time I pull out my keyboard is if I want to browse the web from my television. Using Media Center Studio, I've integrated Kylo to the media center. It's an awesome media center-friendly web browser.

The reason I chose the Comfort 5000 is because the blue laser mouse will work on anything - couch, your leg, anywhere. You don't need a flat surface.

Last edited:
i rarely touch the keyboard on mine, just have a usb one plugged in and hidden away. it is easy to get to for any urgent issues, otherwise updates are done via remote desktop or automated.

as for remote control i prefer to use my xbox 360 for windows wireless controller. the dpad works well for navigation and the stick acts like a mouse with software. i have buttons setup for various functions, even volume control and some windows key functions like alt+tab if i get stuck.

then i use it to play racing games like GRiD, DiRT2.

I just picked up the Saitek Eclipse. i started this thread to see what the general consesus was with HTPC, and somethings that were important to me were having a backlit keyboard, having the mouse on the keyboard, having a rechargable battery, and bluetooth. The Saitek meets 3 of the 4, it isn't bluetooth, but we will see if the range is a problem. The case I purchased comes with a Media Center remote, but I will very likely be getting a Harmony as that is what I have on my other TV right now.

Back