Your favorite OS for mining?

Win10 1709 is tolerable for mining to get the 12-GPU support *if* you remove the stock crapware (store, phone apps and games, edge, Cortana, Xbox overlay) from the install iso with MSMG Toolkit.

But I keep 10 far, far away from PCs with any kind of important files, especially all the office PCs.

Last edited:
I'd love to get you guys on a 6502 version of GemOS.

That's all I'm saying.

I'd love to get you guys on a 6502 version of GemOS.

That's all I'm saying.

so far i havent found any "mining os" that realy works better then just ubuntu or centos and most have gave me issues installing drivers. does anyone get a noticalbe hash rate improvement of those?

2x Win 10 Pro updated as of Feb. 2018 and unactivated
2x O&O Shutup10 Dec. 2017

I was running nvOC (Ubuntu 16.04 based), and while it was very stable, the lack of central management and running 10+ rigs, I switched to win 10 Pro (de-bloated using MSMG Toolkit) and then purchasing Awesome Miner and running that on my workstation (not mining), has been great. I can flip all my rigs to a different coin/pool with a couple of mouse clicks.

I ran a couple of identical rigs (9x 1080Tis) for 48 hours, both mining the same coin to the same pool, and the Windows rig edged out the Ubuntu rig by a tiny bit. Both were rock solid and running the same clocks.

Yeah, SMOS is on my to do list to try out. Can you install your own miners in SMOS, or are you at the mercy of him updating his releases to include new miners?

You have to wait for his updates. But with he has a lot. The last time I checked he had all the versions of DSTM, I still use v0.5.6 but there is 0.5.6 an 0.5.8. I like it just cause my rigs have been going ever since I started use SMOS. and when I'm at work I can check on them. There are times I forget there running. I just don't have problems. Out of the 4 rigs 1 will reboot by itself once in a while.

Yea, there's a good handful of miners on SMOS, and you don't have to worry about anything, it's all handled by the OS. you can do a free trial for a few days, or spend 2 bucks a month for 1 month just to try it out. The initial setup takes a bit because it has to download and retry a few times until it's on the latest version but since then I haven't had to do anything to those 2 rigs in months. Any reboot or update, all handled on it's own. My other 2 rigs are already existing Windows machines with a purpose so I just do it in windows on them, occasionally I run into a snag when Windows acts dumb but SMOS has been 100% hands free for me post setup. And I can change anything via the web interface anywhere. I was on the fence about it for a while but once he added miner groups (you can run different miners on different rigs now, used to be all or nothing) I was all aboard and put in a years payment up front for both boxes (which was great because I did it when ETH was at 1300 lol

my returns are a scratch lower than they were in Windows, and the power options aren't quite as good (but close if you flash your AMD cards before putting them in the system) but the stability factor was much better so my overall hash was higher. I had tons of issues getting 5 cards to all work and OC differently in Windows 10. Nothing wanted to work quite right and sometimes the system would just hang and I'd have to manually reboot.

I threw SMOS on my test rig (single 1050Ti) and it works out of the box. Setup was dead simple. I do see these errors at startup on the local console:

SMOS_console.JPG

I wonder if that is due to me running a 1050Ti which does not support pulling power usage info with recent drivers?

Doesn't impact its ability to hash. I'm also not running any OC atm while I'm getting a feel for it.

I guess there is really no way to interact with the rig locally, everything is controlled via sanctioned commands from "the cloud", correct?

Well, I resolved my issue. It turned out to me Linux advance error reporting issue. I just disabled the the error reporting for PCI errors in grup config file. It was a long research but finally figured it out.

I'm not a Linux person, but I think you can interact with SSH. I use PuTTY to read logs.

I threw SMOS on my test rig (single 1050Ti) and it works out of the box. Setup was dead simple. I do see these errors at startup on the local console:

SMOS_console.JPG

I wonder if that is due to me running a 1050Ti which does not support pulling power usage info with recent drivers?

Doesn't impact its ability to hash. I'm also not running any OC atm while I'm getting a feel for it.

I guess there is really no way to interact with the rig locally, everything is controlled via sanctioned commands from "the cloud", correct?

Never tried to do anything locally, just push the commands to the miner from my gaming rig and away it goes. I would suggest leaving a monitor on it and having it near by while you dial in the OC, makes restarting after hangs faster if you do it by hand rather than wait for the system to do it, after that I run them headless

I'll tell you my least favorite OS for mining -- Windows 10. Windows defender crap with auto-deleting miners and DLLs until you exclude a directory, forced updates rebooting my system without my consent, etc... But my system is gaming-first, so I'll deal with it. :)

I'll tell you my least favorite OS for mining -- Windows 10. Windows defender crap with auto-deleting miners and DLLs until you exclude a directory, forced updates rebooting my system without my consent, etc... But my system is gaming-first, so I'll deal with it. :)

Truth. I have a few rigs on W10 CU, and they needed to stay that way because FCU has a PCIe resource allocation bug on certain motherboards and means not all GPUs work properly. But this f'ing Windows Update Assistant kept reinstalling itself and trying to auto download FCU, which crashed my miner since it ran the drive down to 0 disk space.

I even had windows update disabled in services.msc, and had "Defer feature updates for 365 days" set in GPEDIT. MS ignored both with their malware like update bullshit and full screen pop-up nag.

The whole episode has pissed me off enough that I'm testing a couple Linux based miners (HiveOS, SMOS) as well as Ubuntu for my main desktop so I can dump Windows completely. I've been a windows guy since Windows 3.0 but that really was the last straw.

Last edited:
I think Update farked me last night. noticed a couple of my cards weren't hashing, code 43 in device manager. Until, Win10 was working great. Tried to blow away the install to try again last night, but now I can't get the Win10 usb installer to work. Blargh. I need to try a linux OS. Last time I used them for scrypt mining on AMD cards it worked great.

While I was away for an overnight somewhere, I noticed my rig went offline. Thought we had a power outage. Nope. Windows decided to update itself again, yay! Best part, the miner refused to work. After some poking around I found a suggestion that reinstalling my graphics driver would fix it. Uh, ok? But hey, it worked! Man, I miss Linux.

Back