Your Favorite Game Soundtracks?

Grand Theft Auto 4. It captured New York so so well. Some of the other GTA's have songs I might like more, 4 did the best of capturing the "vibe" of a place and time.

Grand Theft Auto 4. It captured New York so so well. Some of the other GTA's have songs I might like more, 4 did the best of capturing the "vibe" of a place and time.

I think that San Andreas and Vice City do a good job with that as well though SA is probably less tightly focused than the other two since it covers a larger more diverse area. I have to admit that the setting for GTA 4 is the one that I'm least familiar with IRL.

For me SA stands out because the variety of stations mixes well with the variety of areas. Listening to Free Bird while blasting through the desert on a motorcycle just works on multiple levels and they do a good job of having at least one station that fits each distinct area.

One big advantage that GTA games have in regards to music is the ability to change the station when something comes on that you don't like.

Anything by Nobuo Uematsu but my favorites are spread out through all the FFs.

One Winged Angel, Liberi Fatali, Dancing Mad, so many good ones.

TES IV Oblivion OST is something special too. That game was just an adventure.

Funny how this thread showed up just as I was listening to these nice synths here

Original Doom soundtracks, Duke Nukem 3D and the good remastered versions of the same

...a couple of the full 32 map D2 megawads were good also. HR1 and HR2, Blood, Community Chest 3. Reason that I remembered is because since its basically open source, its wasnt a problem stripping the Midi's and Mus files and create a playlist without all of the screams and weapon sounds. Just have to make them loop as many times as you see fit. Others but I gotta look them up.
:cool:

GTA Vice City had the best soundtrack.
I liked that 80s vibe as well. But they removed the best tracks in the android version due to licensing. How can I not hate the music industry?

This one gets stuck in my head all day... and I'm like...

(except not obviously edited to death like this guy does)

GTA Vice City had the best soundtrack.

That is one of those memorable experiences for me i'll never forget. Getting in a car for the first time in Vice City and hearing that music. Instantly brought that era to life.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
That is one of those memorable experiences for me i'll never forget. Getting in a car for the first time in Vice City and hearing that music. Instantly brought that era to life.

Agreed. I wouldn't mind a sequel to it like GTA 5 was "kind of" a sequel to GTA:SA.

Agreed. I wouldn't mind a sequel to it like GTA 5 was "kind of" a sequel to GTA:SA.

I really hope that the next GTA is a "era" game like GTA: San Andreas or Vice City. It's cool we'll get RDR 2 this year, but it's not the same. It'd be great to have a GTA set during the early 20th century kind of like LA Noire or something. It'd be awesome.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
Xeno Gears
Final fantasy 2-3-4-5-7 hell all of them in their own way something square does awesome at is music and art ^.^
Skyrim
Killing Floor 2 (heavier energy type)
Legend of Dragoon
have a name of a fighting game on tip of my tongue and cannot remember it, was one of the first awesome brutal fighting games
Dynasty Warriors also like Final Fantasy they all seemed to have really good music

I remember the first time I saw GTA3, was at friends house and they were playing it and it blew me away. Ran up to Best Buy a little while later to get myself a copy for my PS2.

The original Medal of Honor is my favorite.

Vice City had the best soundtrack out of all the GTA's imho.

Thinking back a bit, a lot of the racing games from the PS1/PS2 era had really fun soundtracks. Wipeout, Need for Speed, Destruction Derby, Ridge Racer, etc.
That's when having real (CD) licensed music was still somewhat new, so they went all-in.
The GTA games took that to the next level, though. Having a ton of different stations was pretty revolutionary.

Let's go a little further back in time. I already gone back quite a bit for my last post, but let's go a step further, the intro music of this games still rings in my ears today:

Grand Prix Circuit (1987 C64)
Lethal Zone (1991 C64)
Turbo charge (1991 C64)

Cyberia (1994) had some amazing ambient tunes, that fit so well with the game - I don't even know which mission had the best soundtrack. You just don't see this kind of detail nowadays as all levels having a different fitting tune.

Bonus: This just came opposite me on yt:

For fans of the Mass Effect music, there are a surpising amount of metal covers of many of the tracks out there. Some are better than others of course, but most I've found are worth listening to.

From Mass Effect 2

From Mass Effect 3

There are also several for the newer Deus Ex games I really liked.

From Deus Ex Human Revolution

From Deus Ex Mankind Divided

oh yeah, lets not forget dark souls. so many boss fights, so many memorable tracks to go with them

hands down Mark Morgan's stuff in Planescape:Torment and Fallout 1/2.

Lately, Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE, but I'm always big fan of the soundtracks for Castlevania, Einhander, & Soldner-X 2. Too many to name really.

Probably the best thing I've ever heard on the SNES... oddly enough I've never actually played the game. IIRC it was originally never released in the US until the PSX port / revamp came out several years later.
I've been meaning to play the English translated ROM for years now and never have gotten around to it...

NFS Underground

Never gets old to me

This would be my second choice!

It's been what... fifteen years since this game came out and it's STILL one of my favorites! A couple of years ago I reinstalled it, patched it to run in real 4k, and played the hell out of it. It's still a BLAST even with 2002 era graphics! It's just a good, fun, arcade racer and there's not been anything I've enjoyed as much since!

Here's a test video I recorded back then just to show off what it looks like on a modern system at 4k, yes, I know I suck.

Transistor
Final Fantasy VII
The Witcher 3
Chrono Cross
Dark Souls
Dark Souls III
Metal Gear Solid 3
Ori and the Blind Forest
Hotline Miami

Borderlands (all 3)
Saints Row series, just right for the game.

Pretty much the entire KI 3 Soundtrack. I like how they mixed the old songs into the new ones.

Twisted Metal 2

Last edited:
^ fuck Pixar! new no version, no sequel, no digital release, all their fault!

I absolutely loved the soundtrack of this game, it was so, I don't know the right word, charming or atmospheric? Each region had it's own tune that matched the atmosphere.

Back