Your Favorite Game Soundtracks?

danc3

Weaksauce
Been listening to many game soundtracks lately, either calming ones or epic ones. Many games have great music producers, creating the immersion and emotions for particular games.

My favorite game soundtracks so far:
  • Starcraft II (WoL, HotS, LotV) - some epic music, especially in LotV
  • The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - calm ambient music while exploring, epic themesong
  • Ori and the Blind Forest - relaxing/emotional tunes
  • The Witcher 3 - epic themesong, amazing exploration tracks

What are your favorites and why? Looking for new sounds to listen to, open to different styles.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
FF VI, but IV also has great music.

21th century stuff? Holy Potatoes a weapon shop. No Man's Sky is one of the most relaxing gaming experience i have had in some time, the music is abou 7/10, but the calming alien landscapes add a lot to the hypnotic (boring?) experience.

Original Doom soundtracks, Duke Nukem 3D and the good remastered versions of the same

Without a doubt Payday 2 and Mass Effect (sans Andromederp) are simply amazing and probably the pinnacle of game soundtracks, apart from that I always liked the Doom3 and HL2 soundtracks as well.

Final fantasy series and Zelda have the best Sound tracks IMO.

listened a lot to lemuria/Sirius b from Therion while playing world of warcraft, does that count?

Reactions: danc3
like this
These threads always make me smile. I'll probably co-sign a lot of what comes up. :)

Anything with the names Jeremy Soule or Jesper Kyd on them for starters.

Recently Austin Wintory's Abzu score. Full symphonic bliss.

like this

/m/ "O" /m/

Anything by Mark Morgan really Fallout 1 & 2 ect.

Last edited:
These threads always make me smile. I'll probably co-sign a lot of what comes up. :)

Anything with the names Jeremy Soule or Jesper Kyd on them for starters.

Recently Austin Wintory's Abzu score. Full symphonic bliss.

Jeremy Soule and Michael McCann are some of my favorite composers.

Never heard of Austin Wintory, but since I'm a fan of symphonic music, just listened to it. Very relaxing.

Thanks everyone for sharing so far, my collection has greatly expanded.

like this
I'm not the only one who cares about this, right...

jacket.png

http://www.square-enix.co.jp/music/sem/page/xenogears/revival/

Jeremy Soule and Michael McCann are some of my favorite composers.

Never heard of Austin Wintory, but since I'm a fan of symphonic music, just listened to it. Very relaxing.

Thanks everyone for sharing so far, my collection has greatly expanded.

Forgot to mention McCann!

I'm not the only one who cares about this, right...

Not at all!

I have a number of favorites, but I'll list a recent favorite of a game I just completed. Bloodborne. Exceptional soundtrack. A little taste, but avoid the comments section...possible spoilers:

Fallout 3 original soundtrack. So far for me, nothing has surpassed the soundtrack.

FF6 & 7, Earthbound. A ton of stuff from that era.

That said, I'm never sure if I enjoy the music because of the memories and nostalgia or simply because it was great music.

Max Payne 3, especially the airport level :)

http://www.rockstargames.com/maxpayne3/features/soundtrack

Track 08, "Max Kill" the track that plays during the boat chase scene is outstanding as well. Crank that. The percussion is unreal.

I have decent MP3s of this that I bought but I might pop for the CD (damn it out of stock) so I can get even better audio quality.

I'd love to have high rez FLACs for this. I see no legit options for this. Too bad.

Last edited:
Final Fantasy VI, for sure. Chrono Trigger as well.. and I'd feel bad if I didn't mention GTA:Vice City.

Some of my favorites

The Silent Hill 2 Soundtrack is probably my favorite of all time:

There is a lot more I like from that album but I am not going to add them all.

Please, do put embedded youtube links behind spoiler tags, so it doesn't slow down the page beyond oblivion.

Don't forget about Frank Klepacki. He has contributed to a ton of video game music. In general, there are so many good and/or iconic musical themes that have been around for a long time. My favorites are:

Zelda and DragonQuest
Morrowind/Oblivion/Skyrim

Some of my standalone favorites are from some lesser known games:

Lands of Lore: Guardians of Destiny (the whole album)
Civilization IV (Title Theme - Babu Yetu)
Megaman/Megaman X

like this
Favorite soundtracks, here are a few exampls:

International Rally Championship Especially Track 4 - Miles
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=781r_vQF3po&list=PLBIM9c9wHuRkSOIp1NKGeuU2EClwFWTnF
Motorhead Favorite track: Olympos but the rest are close to heart as well.

Star Wars : Shadows of the Empire - the most beautiful take on the star wars theme outside of the original, favorite track : Xizor's Theme

Deus Ex - Favorite: Main title theme

Mass Effect 3 - probably the best original soundtrack ever, favorite track: I was lost without you - here's a special take on it from the composer himself - when I listen to this track very loud on my stereo system I always get goosebumps when the violins kick in, also leaving earth, and stand strong stand together

Test Drive Unlimited - Radio Bot Channel - It's only natural that my all time favorite racing game would have one of the best selection of tracks as well (unfortunately I can't find the original tracks on youtube, so some are missing or different versions in this playlist)

Honorable mentions:
Anna Ternheim - No, I don't Remember - From Alan Wake soundtrack
Anberlin - We Owe This To Ourselves (NFS SHIFT 2 'Gladiator Remix' Menu Anthem)
Garbage - As Heaven is Wide - Gran Turismo Soundtrack
Fear Factory - Zero Signal (Instrumental) - Carmageddon Soundtrack
Mass Effect 2 - Afterlife VIP music
Unkle - Burn my Shadow - Fuel Soundtrack

Last edited:
Best musical score: Morrowind
Best in-game collection of music:Scarface followed closely by GTA: SA

Ever since I played quake 1 competitively i always disable in-game music excetp for a few games
maybe i should try enabling music again

Anyway my list is short
Max payne 1&2 love the piano sad mood
FireFights's techno beati i like even thoug its seems really dated today

My favourite in game sound tracks:

Skyrim
Final Fantasy 8
Battlefield, the legendary battlefield theme and OSTs taht play through their campaign missions but the greatest gem is Battlefield 1 "flight of pigeon".

I forgot that there is actually a game whose soundtrack I liked, even though I'm mostly into somewhat heavier music i liked the soundtrack to the original Wipeout, it matched the atmosphere of the game.

like this
Back