Your Desk Says A Lot About You

HardOCP News

[H] News
We've known that your desk says a lot about you and that is why we have had forum threads like this for years where everyone shows off their desks. I wonder what researchers would think about the average [H]'ers desk? :cool:

Every office worker has a particular type of desk they keep, and a number of studies suggest that how you keep your workspace might affect how you work, from the idea that disorderly environments produce creativity — to the idea that too much clutter can interfere with focus. Deliberately or not, we’re constantly making statements about ourselves through our personal presentation.

Last edited:
That picture must be from Bruce Wayne's office.

The clutterer’s workspace is chaotic, colourful and often covered in knick-knacks and personal effects. Bernheimer says clutterers tend to be more extroverted and welcoming of colleagues. “If they have a choice in where they sit, they’re more comfortable and happy being at the circulation crossroads in the office.”

The downside? They’re often so busy and active that they may not have much time to tidy up as their less social colleagues. But their messy space is much more welcoming than the sparse minimalism or oppressive piles of papers of their less outgoing counterparts.

Well they're half right but I am pretty anti social.

I have a home and work desk. They are both completely different. At home, it's pretty cluttered and I could probably stand to throw away some crap. My desk at work is pretty spartan. If it weren't for a very few things hanging on my cork board and a calendar someone might actually wonder if the desk is actually occupied.

That said we had a lady when I first started who's desk was a major cluster. Piles of paper everywhere - but she managed to know where stuff was at. I was truly shocked and amazed anyone could work like that. I about had an anxiety attack when I saw her desk and how cluttered it was. Wall to wall stacks of paper.

Just about the only personal thing one could find on my office desk is fingernail chops and used napkins

My office desk is clear of everything except for the computer, monitors, keyboard and mouse. My home desk on the other hand is a complete mess.

I have a "standing" desk. Of course I'm very short so most people have no idea and sit at it. It is also covered with paperwork and blueprints.

That article was almost as ambiguous as a daily horoscope.

My setup at work is a little overkill...

tollway_final_02.jpg~original

I do physical design and flow development, so having that much screen real estate is incredibly convenient / useful.
IT folks never imagined I'd be able to drive everything from the dinky T540p they forced me to use.

In true [ H ] fashion, I upgraded the sh*t out of it (4GB -> 16GB, 128GB -> 1TB SSD, i3 4000M -> i7 4800MQ,
Onkyo TX-SR606 as a DAC/amp) :D

Not sure if it's that visible in the pic, but I'm also running a BGMicro VFD with VFDThinger 3.11 (yep, that same version that was written by someone here on [ H ] ages ago!)

I reckon a lot of people dust, wax, and shine their desk before taking the photo so it is not a realistic depiction of their computer desk.

I am thinking either failed Apollo astronaut candidate or someone who just needs a refrig and toilet within crawling distance to have a place he will never want to leave.. well.. perhaps back in 2005 or so. Here's hoping that chain doesn't give out or else 300lbs of electricity-filled monitors will be in his lap!!

computer_nerd.jpg

I reckon a lot of people dust, wax, and shine their desk before taking the photo so it is not a realistic depiction of their computer desk.

That picture on the OP was immediately after I cleaned everything. Normally that desk is cluttered all to hell with crumbs from last-night's dinner all over.

Also, That 'desk' is actually just a cheap kitchen-bench cut to size and held up with metal brackets.

Back