Your Desk Says A Lot About You

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by HardOCP News, Nov 16, 2016.

1. HardOCP News

HardOCP News [H] News

We've known that your desk says a lot about you and that is why we have had forum threads like this for years where everyone shows off their desks. I wonder what researchers would think about the average [H]'ers desk? :cool:

Every office worker has a particular type of desk they keep, and a number of studies suggest that how you keep your workspace might affect how you work, from the idea that disorderly environments produce creativity — to the idea that too much clutter can interfere with focus. Deliberately or not, we’re constantly making statements about ourselves through our personal presentation.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2016
  2. That picture must be from Bruce Wayne's office.

3. NickJames

NickJames [H]ardness Supreme

Well they're half right but I am pretty anti social.

4. ravx25

ravx25 [H]ard|Gawd

I have a home and work desk. They are both completely different. At home, it's pretty cluttered and I could probably stand to throw away some crap. My desk at work is pretty spartan. If it weren't for a very few things hanging on my cork board and a calendar someone might actually wonder if the desk is actually occupied.

That said we had a lady when I first started who's desk was a major cluster. Piles of paper everywhere - but she managed to know where stuff was at. I was truly shocked and amazed anyone could work like that. I about had an anxiety attack when I saw her desk and how cluttered it was. Wall to wall stacks of paper.

5. dgz

dgz [H]ardness Supreme

Just about the only personal thing one could find on my office desk is fingernail chops and used napkins

6. [21CW]killerofall

[21CW]killerofall Aliens...

My office desk is clear of everything except for the computer, monitors, keyboard and mouse. My home desk on the other hand is a complete mess.

7. Twisted Kidney

Twisted Kidney 2[H]4U

I have a "standing" desk. Of course I'm very short so most people have no idea and sit at it. It is also covered with paperwork and blueprints.

8. lilbabycat

lilbabycat 2[H]4U

My desk says "empty whiskey bottles"

9. ManofGod

ManofGod [H]ardForum Junkie

An organized mess is what my desk says about me. :)

TypeO likes this.
  10. Radagast~mod

Radagast~mod Limp Gawd

I imagine a desk like that would run about 10k...

11. jkw

jkw Gawd

That article was almost as ambiguous as a daily horoscope.

Poseur likes this.
  12. KazeoHin

KazeoHin [H]ardness Supreme

Ha! I saw this from the forums, clicked on the article and saw my desk!

RagingSamster likes this.
  13. WhoBeDaPlaya

WhoBeDaPlaya 2[H]4U

My setup at work is a little overkill...

[​IMG]

14. KazeoHin

Nice.

Nothing overkill about that, I could certainly use all of those for productivity.

15. WhoBeDaPlaya

WhoBeDaPlaya 2[H]4U

I do physical design and flow development, so having that much screen real estate is incredibly convenient / useful.
    IT folks never imagined I'd be able to drive everything from the dinky T540p they forced me to use.

In true [ H ] fashion, I upgraded the sh*t out of it (4GB -> 16GB, 128GB -> 1TB SSD, i3 4000M -> i7 4800MQ,
    Onkyo TX-SR606 as a DAC/amp) :D

Not sure if it's that visible in the pic, but I'm also running a BGMicro VFD with VFDThinger 3.11 (yep, that same version that was written by someone here on [ H ] ages ago!)

DocSavage likes this.
  16. rezerekted

rezerekted 2[H]4U

I reckon a lot of people dust, wax, and shine their desk before taking the photo so it is not a realistic depiction of their computer desk.

17. Insula Gilliganis

Insula Gilliganis [H]ard|Gawd

I am thinking either failed Apollo astronaut candidate or someone who just needs a refrig and toilet within crawling distance to have a place he will never want to leave.. well.. perhaps back in 2005 or so. Here's hoping that chain doesn't give out or else 300lbs of electricity-filled monitors will be in his lap!!

[​IMG]

18. KazeoHin

That picture on the OP was immediately after I cleaned everything. Normally that desk is cluttered all to hell with crumbs from last-night's dinner all over.

Also, That 'desk' is actually just a cheap kitchen-bench cut to size and held up with metal brackets.