Your card doesn't fit in to 4x, 1x PCI-e? No problem chop it off!

Vlad_13

[H]ard|Gawd
Why wouldn't you just open the end of the 8x socket? People have been doing it with Dell SCs for years.

The board in question had a heatsink directly after the 8x slot, preventing me from simply snipping the back of the socket. This is what I came up with since.

Turns out that the board would not initialize PCIe video after all (it was a Supermicro server board), so I scrapped the idea, but the board does still function in other 8x and 16x slots.

I am not sure why Vlad seems to think that this is so far fetched, but hey, more power to him.

EDIT: oh, and if you are going to link to the thread, you should at least link to the picture itself instead of your post regarding it. http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1033731127&postcount=39

Yeah, according to PCIe specs they "should" continue to work in slots with less lanes, that being said, I'm leary of modding a PCB (you never know what could happen) and if at all possible would rather mod the plastic end of a slot.

That being said, on a lot of server boards, you can't use the PCIe slots for video, especially the 4x and 8x ones.

Yea, I was pretty ginger with it, and that is the reason why I chose an HD2600.. that way, if I killed it, it was no big loss.

Back