Your Brain Deletes Info at an 'Extraordinarily High' Rate

HardOCP News

[H] News
A team of researchers say that your brain deletes info...ummm, your brain deletes info...damn, what was I saying?

According to the new model of brain activity that the researchers have devised, the answer to that is one bit per active neuron per second. As Fred Wolf of the Max Planck Institute for Dynamics and Self-Organization further explains, that "extraordinarily high deletion rate came as a huge surprise," and it effectively means that information is lost in the brain as quickly as it can be delivered -- something the researchers say has "fundamental consequences for our understanding of the neural code of the cerebral cortex.

Think about all the information that your brain receives every second through visual, audio, and sensory input. You are not going to remember every detail about the grass that you see while walking by. This is the stuff that gets deleted.

I forgot what the article was about, but I don't feel any particular surprise about it.

Think about all the information that your brain receives every second through visual, audio, and sensory input. You are not going to remember every detail about the grass that you see while walking by. This is the stuff that gets deleted.

Or..is this just our general perception of the world around us, that objects that we see so many times...we do not take the time to analyze anymore?

No problem(yet), I coded the app, Restoration, to work with electric brain waves. Still in beta testing though.

Mine is on DDS2 tapes in a closet. I hope that when I need to restore some data that the stupid drive still works. I guess I should move that stuff onto USB drives or DVDs.

Looks like Homer was right!

"Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain"

Hey Dylan80, I'm on board for the beta if you need a tester.

I created a partition just for the boobies, but I'm at less than 10% free space.

Sounds like we all need to defrag once in a while...

yawn did they really need to do a research study to find that out?

So would zombies be part of a bot net? And i lost my train of thought...
...............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................*windows startup sound*........................................................................................................
..............BSOD...............................................Damnit! I thought i replaced the memory.

I thought that oddly shaped scare on my head resembled a usb port,,,

I had read somewhere that if your brain does not remove/delete information, it will increase the risk of brain related syndromes at an older age, like dementia, or Alzheimer's.

Or..is this just our general perception of the world around us, that objects that we see so many times...we do not take the time to analyze anymore?

No, your brain takes in an incredible amount of detail. Think of all the audio and visual data it must process each second, not to mention smell, taste, and touch (pressure, texture, heat, etc). It is WAY too much to think about consciously each second. Therefore, your brain processes a lot of it automatically, using a lot of pattern recognition.

Much of what you see visually is either thrown out since it is unimportant, or your brain will take shortcuts and try to fit what you see to something else that it recognizes. When you see a word or a face, you do not consciously try to figure out what it is - you automatically know what it is since your brain has already matched it to something it has encountered before. On the other hand, if you see something that is new, or something unexpected happens, your brain needs to spend a lot more time and energy to process it (meeting a new person, car accident).

johnny-implant.jpg

lol, me too. My recall is comprised of attempts to piece together corrupt segments of data in order to come up with generalities.

Is that why when I see an old x-girlfriend I say to myself "wow you were hitting hard times back then..."?

I have an external brain in a jar where I have duplicates of everything,

I've always thought that our memories aren't deleted or lost, but rather being buried in our brain.

Me too, the data is there you just can't always easily find it. Like an old archaic filing system without a good search feature.

Must explain my incompatibility in society. My brain pulled an rm -rf on some kernel code before it got recompiled.. and it had to do with human interaction and certain basics everyone knows by age x.

Well, there is an extraordinary amount of bullshit out there so this makes sense. It took less then a minute to come up with that and it was free...

No, your brain takes in an incredible amount of detail. Think of all the audio and visual data it must process each second, not to mention smell, taste, and touch (pressure, texture, heat, etc). It is WAY too much to think about consciously each second. Therefore, your brain processes a lot of it automatically, using a lot of pattern recognition.

Much of what you see visually is either thrown out since it is unimportant, or your brain will take shortcuts and try to fit what you see to something else that it recognizes. When you see a word or a face, you do not consciously try to figure out what it is - you automatically know what it is since your brain has already matched it to something it has encountered before. On the other hand, if you see something that is new, or something unexpected happens, your brain needs to spend a lot more time and energy to process it (meeting a new person, car accident).
I'm just quoting you since you gave the most amount of input on this subject, so I'll take a shot that you may have the answer to the following question. How does "total recall memory" work, where apparently, the very few in the world that have it can pretty much recall any detail from any time period they experienced it? :confused:

Back