Your Body Is Not Ready For Virtual Reality

HardOCP News

[H] News
Had the author of this article gone over any of our VR performance articles, she would know the importance of having a GPU that can produce a solid 90fps, not just running any ol' video card claiming a "premium" VR experience. So, to be more accurate, it's not that your body isn't ready for VR, it's your hardware that needs to be up to snuff.

The only problem is that this virtual promised land isn’t as ready as gamers would like it to be. It doesn’t matter how rarely you get motion sickness in the real world, the virtual one is an inescapable assault on the human body. Its successes come from tricking the mind and confounding the eyes. But our bodies can perceive the unnatural state of virtual worlds, and when they do they try to protect us, manifesting a feeling of wrongness that makes us feel sick. The problem lies in the VR technology itself. It’s just not good enough to make our bodies believe.

But but click bait and older generations of people (my father for example) would read this and think it's true so it has to be the reason........

IMO it comes down to the software as much as the hardware. The Playstation VR isn't exactly a powerhouse, but some games look and feel like you're there. Others just look like you're playing a game on a screen that's very close to your eyes. I'd imagine the PC VR hardware (which has a higher ceiling) would be similar.

VR isnt ready for VR.

we need MUCH faster GPUs and much better VR systems (better response time , better resolution etc.)
i`ll wait 2-3 years i think

Reading the article, when the headline phrase is used, it isn't about hardware being "lacking". In fact, most of the article isn't about hardware being insufficient. It's about the experience of watching something from an outside perspective and thinking it's cool, then "experiencing" it from a first person PoV and nearly blowing chunks because the sensation of movement is so extreme that your body isn't prepared for it. Hell, it opens from the Assassin's Creed VR experience *creator's office*. This isn't some "running it on my laptop while I'm on the train to work". The author recounts what low end experiences were like, but that isn't what this article is about. This is about the sheer sensory overload that happens the first time your slapped into a *good* high speed VR experience.

That woman that writes for gizmodo knows absolutely nothing when it comes to tech, why she is even on there i have no idea. Ive seen so many commenters correct her in her articles. I mean she really thought that her crappy laptop would be able to handle VR just fine. Mostly everyone on there knows the basics of tech and thats it. Its like that one friend that is really into new technology,but does zero research and buys stuff because of marketing and it looks cool.

She does talk about the need for custom hardware to provide the 90fps on two 1080p lenses therby reducing problems with locality or VR sickness. So it should help sell higher end hardware to anyone still interested. Not many can handle RollerCoster VR as much as they could Serious Sam VR if you could actually move.

My body is ready. It's my room that isn't. I need a bigger space.
This.
I would love to have a full room to play in. I am glad I accidentally bought extra controllers because I might break them soon...

my 6 year old son plays euro truck 2 in vr and he has never come out with any problems.

well other than his truck tipping over.

stupid author is stupid.

lol, I had to laugh at that whole article. I guess it is dangerous to dream as well in your own VR world. I haven't thrown up yet, not even close and the experience can be rather amazing. Also room scale and actually moving around in VR does help keep a good prospective to the VR.

From what I know, have seen for myself, and been told by people that deal with this regularly, anyone susceptible to motion sickness/sea sickness will have a problem with VR. That is > 30% of the population.

I got to try this the other day on campus. I barely was able to not throw up after < 15 seconds. I know better though as I have known vestibular problems. I however, was not the only one and it doesn't escape anyone's notice that they were keeping a puke bucket right near by...

And it certainly wasn't the hardware, the system the guy had was sporting a 6700 and 1070.. The truth is the tech isn't ready. It's cool, but not ready.

The truth is the tech isn't ready. It's cool, but not ready.

Obviously there are those that have issues with this kind of tech like you and it might every well as many as you say. After three weeks with the Vive so far, overall I'd say the technology is plenty ready if still early. Of course much needs to be done to improve it but something that's still pretty early on I've been pretty impressed with how well it works.

From what I know, have seen for myself, and been told by people that deal with this regularly, anyone susceptible to motion sickness/sea sickness will have a problem with VR. That is > 30% of the population.

I got to try this the other day on campus. I barely was able to not throw up after < 15 seconds. I know better though as I have known vestibular problems. I however, was not the only one and it doesn't escape anyone's notice that they were keeping a puke bucket right near by...

And it certainly wasn't the hardware, the system the guy had was sporting a 6700 and 1070.. The truth is the tech isn't ready. It's cool, but not ready.
I have played full movement games and have had no problem.

I think your >30% number is accurate, going out to sea in the Navy (Submarine service) some which I say was <10% would puke every time, did not change over time, others just felt like crap, while others got use to it and adapted. I just never got sea sick, the worst would be a mild headache when I first stated to go out. Submarines are worst then surface ships due to the round hull, they really rock and roll while on the surface headed out to sea or coming into port.

What it sounds like is AR maybe will be more usable for a larger percentage of the population then VR (but not all). There will always be some that will not be able to use a given piece of tech, for example some will get seizures playing games or anything flashing. I wonder if we could roughly say 33% will get motion sickness easily if VR if not done right and some of those will never really be able to use VR comfortably. 33% will be affected at times but can compensate and learn what to avoid, software aware programs to minimize motion sickness etc. 33% that are virtually motion sickness free and can adapt relatively easy over time to motion in VR or have no negative effect from it.

Maybe the author of the article should not generalize so much. That is the exact issue with journalism these days.

My body is obviously ready for VR since I have had zero issues with VR.

Then again my body is powered by meat, brown liquor, and cigars. Not kale, gluten free beer, and vaping. ;)

I also made sure to build a setup that provides a better than "premium" VR experience. I think that has more to do with it TBH but the meat and booze is nice too!

I think you are right.
I dont have an issue except in Project Cars when sometimes I feel light headed during fast spins.
It clears up in a second.
Perhaps this is what morphs into a sickness feeling for some, but if this happened in real life I can see it would have the same effect.

When you dont use hardware that is capable of delivering 90fps you can expect problems anyway.

I used to get trace amounts of VR sickness. An upgrade from the DK2 to the CV1, a better GPU, and some time time building up my VR legs have made it all but a distant memory.

That been said, I have no issue with developers catering to comfort but I'd like to see them open up more options. I'm hearing Arizona Sunshine will be adding a full locomotion option. When they do, I'm buying it.

Give the gamer the option.. Who would have thunk of it huh ?

I know my 980ti is decent but I think a 1080 or better would be best. I checked performance and it was using full gpu power on games.

I know my 980ti is decent but I think a 1080 or better would be best. I checked performance and it was using full gpu power on games.

I'm running a 1070, which is plenty. A 1080 allows you run run up supersampling, enriching the experience somewhat.

When I my gtx 1080 was on the way, my Rift was already in, so I hooked it up to my r380. It was better than I expected, but it's the lag that you can't see but your brain can still sense that gets you. It made me nautious after a few minutes just viewing the Rift or Steam VR dashboards. I knew from trying out a buddy's Vive that I wasn't prone to VR sickness. With the 1080 installed, everything is great.

I'm running a 1070, which is plenty. A 1080 allows you run run up supersampling, enriching the experience somewhat.
I do have all settings on max. Maybe thats why. I will check it out when I get home. Thanks!

I get sea sick pretty bad. I occasionally vomit on boats and sometimes get car sick if i'm not driving. When I tried sailing once, I threw up constantly. I own a Vive and don't have any real problems with it. The only time i felt awkward was playing Elite Dangerous spinning out of control because I didn't have my flight stick set up properly. That's the only time I felt like I had to take the headset off to prevent sickness. I sometimes get a butterflies sensation when VR motion is simulated yet my body is not really moving like an elevator in VR or mine cart, etc. The tech is not for everyone, but it's plenty ready enough.

That sounds like the dumbest paragraph about VR so I'm not even going to click the link.

I don't get motion sick so maybe I just need to get my VR legs because locomotion feels pretty terrible to me. It's something about the weird smooth sliding. Oddly enough it didn't seem to come up trying out Project Cars at all.

That sounds like the dumbest paragraph about VR so I'm not even going to click the link.

I don't get motion sick so maybe I just need to get my VR legs because locomotion feels pretty terrible to me. It's something about the weird smooth sliding. Oddly enough it didn't seem to come up trying out Project Cars at all.

No, I'd say that makes sense. If you are referring to Onward locomotion being weird sliding, I see your point - but hey, it's by far the best solution we have thus far and if it doesn't make most people sick, that is a BIG win. I simply cannot state how big of a breakthrough it was. Up to that point, it was looking like FPS style games in VR was going to be a no-go without some sort of expensive Omni Directional style apparatus. I can handle a bit of weird sliding for the benefit of full locomotion using just my controllers. Unless you are saying that IS making you feel a bit ill?

Project Cars and seated experiences are different, and are generally somewhat more comfortable. When I first played Elite Dangerous and Project Cars, I felt a bit weird at times, mostly when going around corners in PCars, but after awhile it no longer felt strange at all.

Hopefully you get your VR legs... How long have you had the VR set?

No, I'd say that makes sense. If you are referring to Onward locomotion being weird sliding, I see your point - but hey, it's by far the best solution we have thus far and if it doesn't make most people sick, that is a BIG win. I simply cannot state how big of a breakthrough it was. Up to that point, it was looking like FPS style games in VR was going to be a no-go without some sort of expensive Omni Directional style apparatus. I can handle a bit of weird sliding for the benefit of full locomotion using just my controllers. Unless you are saying that IS making you feel a bit ill?

Project Cars and seated experiences are different, and are generally somewhat more comfortable. When I first played Elite Dangerous and Project Cars, I felt a bit weird at times, mostly when going around corners in PCars, but after awhile it no longer felt strange at all.

Hopefully you get your VR legs... How long have you had the VR set?

About a month something. I tried locomotion in Arizona Sunshine and that just felt a bit off. I should give it another try with locomotion because that seems to be an intensely easier way to navigate than to spin around, teleport, spin back around, and try to shoot a zombie instead of backing up a few steps.

About a month something. I tried locomotion in Arizona Sunshine and that just felt a bit off. I should give it another try with locomotion because that seems to be an intensely easier way to navigate than to spin around, teleport, spin back around, and try to shoot a zombie instead of backing up a few steps.

Definitely! I would recommend just that actually. Don't push too far, if you start to feel ill, stop. I hear for many each play session gets longer before feeling the effects, until they don't have an issue anymore.

In my experience, I've noticed somewhat that comfort and exhilaration (wow factor) are like a pendulum. When I first started in VR, exhilaration from the experience was high but comfort was lower. As I got more into it, that excitement subsides but my comfort level was higher. I surmised that the two seem to be closely intertwined, at least for myself personally. It's like your brain has figured out it's being tricked so the effects of each (exhilaration and discomfort) are lower.

Be sure to report back!

I already played through the game twice. I love the full motion! I hope the games keep coming with the option.

Back