your best gaming memories?

By far the greatest gaming moment was playing Doom over dial-up modem with my buddys.

"Mom, don't answer the phone!"
-Ring,Ring
"Hello?"
Wee yaaaaaaaaaaaa......
"Damn it mom. don't answer the phone!"

Man if i could go back.......

1) N64 Goldeneye. My 3 friends and me had one game we called kill the shiek. One person had to be the terrorist model, and run away from the other 3, wasnt allowed to fight back with guns, only slappers for him. It was great.

2) Playing through tie fighter. Piece of crap computer, piece of crap joystick, but it was the greatest game I had ever played. Such an awesome story.

3) Mariokart 64. Same 3 friends I played goldeneye with. Playing that map with the 4 towers over and over and over. The gamecube mariokart just didnt have anything on the n64 version.

nope, sorry. i'm up in canada btw;)

Oh....ok. Well my best gaming memory was probably the day me and one of my good friends bought Halo and played it all night long until we beat it. I remember it being late at night and having our first encounter with the Flood. We had no idea what to expect when we found all of those marines dead and what was about to come through those doors :).

A friend of mine had a "computer room" with 3 pc's running at all times (unheard of in those days). His brother and Dad were bigtime into gaming as well. I used to bring my pc over and we would have a mini lan running just about every weekend. We played the snot out of Starcraft, HL1, Quake 2, TF, Soldier of Fortune and just about any other FPS around at the time.

I remeber it being sooo much fun, they had an ISDN line so we would all hop online and play on the same team. Those were the days, I would think about gaming non-stop back then. Now, 10 years later, I am still gaming but my buddy got married and moved away and he doesn't game anymore. Guess some of us are gamers for life...

Ahhh memories........

For my college years, it was the evening long TA games with 4-5 of us against the CPU. So... many... nukes... and the damn AI would always hide the commander underwater and we'd scramble to make sonar to find it.

Same friends got me hooked on EQ in the very beginning of the game. Over the years I had different friends to play with and it is hard to top spending 2 hours doing CR at midnight because you died 5 mins before leaving in that damn dungeon in Kunark... ;)

Seeing my one guild progress through Velious was cool too, they just don't make places like NTOV anymore. :(

Mine go pretty far back.. I'm not going to go into deep stories but I will give you the clifnotes.

**EARLY YEARS. PRE-COMPUTER OWNERSHIP**
-Learning how to type. No more chicken pecking. I remember going to my friends house and putting my hands on the keyboard "like my mom does".
-Popping in Test Drive into the 5" bay and having my best friend's dad show me the ultimate driving simulator. You could drive an ACTUAL ford truck!! Not just some made up future car.
-Me and my best friend watching him play Castle Wolfenstien. It was too gory for us to play.
-Learning how to play a game in dos (along with all the dos commands).
-Learning of pirated software. My friend's dad brought home a copy of xwing. It had an anti theft method too! it would give you a page number and you had to type in the keyword on it. SUPER UNBREAKABLE!!! WOW! How could anybody crack that?!... no worries, he zeroxed the entire manual.

**CONSOLE**
-Waking up christmas morning to find my super nintendo.
-Grabbing my best friend and plugging in that 2nd controller to play Final Fight with my friend.... to find out that the snes version of the arcade classic was one player only. DAMN THEM!
-Finding the first game that I have wanted so bad, that I actually knew the release date and wanted to buy it the first day it came out.. It was Chrono Trigger. I fell in love with the final fantasy series and anything square put out. I wanted this game like an etheopian wants the Sizzler Buffet. I came up short of the $49 that I needed. I only had $38 from my paper route. I was heartbroken, but rented it from a local shop and ran up 2 weeks in lates fees.. which my mom paid X)
-Opening my ps1 and Final Fantasy 7 and NBA Live 97. I played those games to no end.
-Of course, playing the N64 for the first time. Starwars, Goldeneye and Killer instinct FTW!!

**First computer!** Pentium 90mhz!
-Installing doom without a hitch. Playing it for a little bit but I was generally bored with it. I really spent a lot of time playing shareware.
-Playing Starcraft in my mom's accounting office with her boss and their kids.
-Rise of the Triad via modem with my friend Justin. Good times, till mom picked up the phone.
-Listening to The Smashing Pumpkins on my cd rom while playing Mech Warrior 2.
-Logging into BBS's and playing Legend of the Red Dragon.
Classic!-----> -Installing a webbrowser that I got on a disk from 711, booting up and and thinking.. WTF!?! WHERE IS THE INTERNET!? WHY ISNT THIS WORKING!!! Little did I know, you needed to have the modem plugged in and have an isp to get service.
-Installing AOL... still no true internet. sigh.
-AOL announcing that they will expand their services to include the world wide web.
-Kk, we have the world wide web.. now I needed to figure out how to pull 256colors! The www looked like shit with 16 colors :)
-Windows 95. My uncle said to hold of on installing it.. I did it anyways! so ends that era.

-Buying my first pc 5 years ago. It costed $600 from a local builder and was pretty shitty for even being that old. It was a socket A AMD duron +1700 with 256mb of ram. It came with XP though AND a cd burner.. leet! :)
-Ghost recon laddering on www.tagaing.com. I spend ENDLESS hours playing that game. Every night, me and about 15 other clan members all got on and played our hearts out. My first guild was Hyda (hump your dead ass). Good times. Probably my most fond memories. I would go back and do it again in a heartbeat.
-Playing BF2 at my bosses house with his family
-Sitting in awe at how cool world of warcraft was when I first installed it. 6 characters later.. I think im addicted and need help lol. Screw that.. LFG Kara. Need healer and tank. pst.

Hope you enjoyed my memories.

all those good times on sc :D

and also the times when i pked those damn trash talkers in d2

ahhhh i miss those good times

o yeah and those pro shots in gunbound lol

Playing games on my Grandpa's P1 66mhz computer. The Hugo Series (text adventure I loved.) Getting rocked over and over by that damn zombie.

Playing UT99 on my friend's brother's computer. First taste of true FPS other than Doom. That was an amazing experience. He had a Geforce 2, that was the SHIT back then.

Getting and overclocking my first gaming comp (2500+ @ 3200+, 2x256 BH6 memory, 9500np flashed to 9700np, NF7-S.)

Winning Quake 4 tournament, getting X-Fi Fatal1ty (that was hot.)

Next... going to try to do something with UT3, hopefully I'll win some more tournaments :)

One of my most memorable computer gaming memories was in Ultima V: Warriors of Destiny. Making it down to the underworld and navigating from the scribe's journal to retrace the steps and try to find out what happened to Lord British. Awesome. For the era, it was a real nerve-wracking experience.

Wow this is a great thread. Here are a few of my favorite gaming moments:

1) Commander Keen. First game I bought for myself and it was worth every penny for the floppys.

2) Wolfenstien 3D. First actual PC game experience. Day 1, at a friends house on his Dad's computer, we found it and couldn't get out of the first room. You know, the one where you have to hit spacebar at the door? Yeah, we were in there for 30 min before quitting hitting every button, except the spacebar. Day 2, found the user's manual and beat the game in 12 hours.

3) SimCity 2000. I modeled my entire hometown and then sent an alien invasion to destroy it. The model took me almost an entire summer to do (my hometown pop is ~25,000) but I had, literally, nothing to do and decided one day it would be a good idea. I worked on it on and off that summer. The last summer before I got my license.

4) GTA 3 + Rage Against the Machine. I am a huge fan of theirs and my freshman year of college, I just ran around getting my frustrations out. I don't think I got off the first island until winter quarter. I had already beaten the console version, so I didn't really care.

5) Final Fantasy VII PC. I hadn't played the console version and got the PC version for some occasion. I was right at the sweet part when the ginormous monsters start crawling out of the crater, when the game crashed. It did this 4 or 5 times. I was so pissed and had never come across a game where it needed to be patched. We had no internet at home so it took me 3 weeks to get into my dad's office and get the patch.

6) Unreal Tournament GOTY. I got this not in the bargin bin, but it was only about $30. Needless to say, I loved it and then decided to play online. That lasted for about 10 online matches before I realized that I was WAY behind the learning curve. I still have yet to play an online FPS successfully. I guess I just don't spend enough time working out my e-athlete :)

7) Age of Empires. Getting my revenge on all the FPS bastards by destroying them in AoE.

8) LBNL, Spider Solitaire + Free Cell. I still play these and consider myself, if not l33t, at least better than the average player. I'm up to game 15247 in Free Cell, beating them all from 1 - 15247 with a 92% success rate. I started this on Windows 95 and am continuing my count up through Vista. I just hope the previous games haven't changed, nullifying my 15,000+ victories.

I had to come back for more...

Nintendo 64 and my highschool friends plus lots of booze and smoke = my daily after school special.

Man, Grenade launchers in the temple or Mariokart 64... a time of innocence and pure fun.

actually if you want to go far back i had such a great time playing text mud's in the early 90's.. but in terms of fps gaming I had a lot of fun playing quake1

My favorite had to be Everquest. It was my first MMORPG and there was no feeling like it. There was just an overwhelming feeling for me knowing that almost everyone around me was a human player. I used to love when it rained. To this day, that music and some of the sound effects incite nothing but joy.

GD if that isnt the truth, i feel the exact same way. The original eq that i first played late 1999 is still my most cherised PC game memories. The human players and all that adventure and world to see, I remember seeing it for the first time and realized it was a living breathing world and i was in it!

MarioKart64 Balloon Battle all night long with friends.

Playing my first online multi player fps, Unreal Tournament for the first time.

I can still play MarioKart64 battle all night long. But I cant get into UT for very long anymore, I wish I could.

Atari-Space Invaders
PS1-Twisted Metal
Tekken
GT
Wipeout XL
Built 1st PC
Half-Life on Dial up
Unreal Tournament- OOOOOOOOOOOOHHHH I see the light, it was awesome on my Voodoo 3 3000. I shit a brick when I first saw the game on my sorry ass monitor.
Dreamcast-Soul Calibur
Xbox-Halo
Halo 2 sucked
PC-Far Cry
Half-life 2
Doom 3
BF2 before all the patches
Fear

RTCW: ET is my favorite MP ever. I don't play anymore, but I had a lot of fun with that game.

I remember going over to a neighbor kid's house as often as I could to play Contra, since we didn't have a TV and even if we did, there was no way my parents would buy me a Nintendo.

Megarace on our Pentium 90 (I think my brother overclocked it from 75) Packard Bell.

Tie Fighter and later X-Wing on that same P90. I would fly around the Death Star levels in X-Wing and rack up kills and blow up as many buildings as I could. There was one mission where you were supposed to scout a gathering Imperial Fleet in your A-Wing. My goal was to destroy all the destructible ships in that mission, but I never did it.

Civilization for Windows, first on my dad's work laptop--a 486. I still have that game and still play it 15 years later.

All the C&C games. And Dune 2, and Dune 2000, and Warcraft I & 2. I was a much bigger RTS fan when I was younger.

TFC during my freshman year on a crummy, borrowed Pentium 166. That was my first introduction to FPSes, which I had hitherto shunned. And then being introduced to Unreal Tournament on a dorm-mate's computer. One night we started playing at 8:00, and the next time I looked at the clock, it was 4:00am. I've been hooked on UT since.

Finally beating Fort Schmerzen in MOH:AA. I hate the forest area.

And lastly...
Beating Homeworld for the first time. The glorious explosion of the Emperor's Mothership was beautiful.

Playing games on my Commodore 64. Anyone else remember the 'epilepsy' loading screens?

First LAN. We all daisychained our computers with serial cables, since one of us had found a version of Doom 1 that could play more than 2 people over daisychained serial cables. The second LAN, was my intro to Ethernet. 10base2 Ethernet in DOS. Good fun. Third LAN, I was introduced to C&C. First game EVER, multiplayer, I decided to build a 'Hand of NOD' ASAP. No idea what it did, a magazine review said that it rocked hard. While my friends were building spice harvesters and trikes, I built my nuclear silo and wiped out all of them. (They had screwed the tech somehow, I forget how.)

Playing platform games on the old, old 486DLC-33. Commander Keen, Crystal Caves, Captain Comic, Jill of the Jungle, and of course Extreme Pinball. PC Speaker and VGA graphics, w00t. I had so much fun playing Manhatten Project after such a long dry spell, I hope I dont have to wait that long again for a good platform game. (Not using a whack-job controller, either.)

too many to think of all at once.

COMPUTER
First computer was just dos, I used to play a couple learning games, one you crawl around a school and try to find stuff and not get caught. The other you are on a mountain and have to solve little puzzles and stuff, you had a net to catch stuff.

First real computer games I played were megaman and the 3 vikings. I loved megaman, whenever I got to a boss my heart would race! 3 vikings was very fun, I got VERY far in that game...

Most fun I have had with any game was C&C Renegade. Teamwork in that game was very fun to use and but you could also take matters into your own hands to destroy buildings. I also remember playing CTF a lot. I have screenshots on my old computer of me owning at that game all the time. Very fun to run a recon bike off a top ramp on a map and near behind buildings just so the base defense doesn't kill you then destroy buildings. O man I destroyed and saved so many buildings. Nukes / Ion cannons were very cool too.

Starcraft! Played this all the time with my best friend, we would usually play at his house because he had 2 phone lines. Played the user map settings usually and owned at those games where you keep getting spawns to fight with. good times.

Diablo 2 took a couple years of my life. I had 3 phases of this game.
V1 - Learning the game, got a couple pretty high lvl characters and was starting to get wealthy, learning to be very good at trading. This account got stolen from me though.
V2 - I didn't let that stop me, started up a new one, got to be way better than the old one. Had a tricked out paladin, botting sorceress. Ran 2 diablos at once all the time to xfer stuff and whatnot. Became VERY rich. Used d2hackit and duped stuff, found the godliest eth phase blade...well almost. Had hex charms, whites...etc. Almost all of the accounts I had got banned. Mule accounts, 2 accounts with most all my characters.
V3 - Made high lvl paladin and botting sorc, pindlebot! Became pretty rich but not at all as much as in V2. The sorc had like the most MF you can have with only having half inventory of charms...4 ist shield, etc. I probably have screenshots of this on my dad's computer. Anyway in this phase I ended up with the godliest paladin on east from the pally tournaments. Then I was done with the game.

CONSOLE
Really only played N64. A lot, it was at the rec center in my small city and my best friend had it. My parents didn't let me have console games..lol.
Mariocart
Super Smash Brothers
Goldeneye!
Perfect Dark!

those were the 4 games where all my N64 gaming went. First 3 were at the rec center a lot, I only knew one person to be better than me at Goldeneye/Perfect Dark and my best friend was almost as good. I remember almost all night gaming with Perfect Dark.

I know I'm forgetting stuff but I have to go to work.

wow the more i read of this the more i remember.

anyone else remember kings quest 1? any of the zork games? return to zork blew me away (first game on a cd we had!).

and what about blake stone? heh. all the wolf3d spinoffs. killing the evil hitler in wolf3d with the knife ahaha.

diablo 1, who can forget that gem? it was even fun with all the hacking. stealing peoples trades was fun too.

commander keen, biomenace, halloween harry. what happened to the fun games?!?

anyone else had a friend that tried to shove a cd into a floppy drive? that was fun. or when i used a dos version of winzip and compressed a friends command.com back in the dos days....oops.

playing final fantasy 2 with some friends on the SNES, those were good times.

FFXI: getting charmed by a random NM that popped and skilling my sword on my mage friend.

Finding the Matrox Mystique patch for Tomb Raider so I could play that game in it's 640x480 16bpp glory!

playing Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego on an apple ii during keyboarding class in elementary school. Never did find that bitch :p

playing Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego on an apple ii during keyboarding class in elementary school. Never did find that bitch :p

OH SHIT!!!! I forgot about this game!!! My rents (mom was a teacher) bought this for me when I was in grade school and I can remember finishing the game but remember it was completely random. I played it on my Apple IIe, which me and one of her teacher friends upgrade so it had like 128kb of RAM...That bitch was a SCREAMER... I remember playing a game called ZigZag on it... dont remember much just the screen at the beginning. Want some nestalgia, go here

Back in the day, you could jump into a game of Descent via Kali at any time of day or night. Always at least 10 games going. So many you had to check several ports for all the games going on. You could jump in a game with (I think) up to 8 players in a map and dogfight all day and night. I devoted so much time to playing and getting good at that game. Then Descent 2. My wife left me because I played so much Descent 2. Good riddance. Now I have a new woman and a new family and I couldn't be happier. Thanks Descent!!!!

Back in the day, you could jump into a game of Descent via Kali at any time of day or night. Always at least 10 games going. So many you had to check several ports for all the games going on. You could jump in a game with (I think) up to 8 players in a map and dogfight all day and night. I devoted so much time to playing and getting good at that game. Then Descent 2. My wife left me because I played so much Descent 2. Good riddance. Now I have a new woman and a new family and I couldn't be happier. Thanks Descent!!!!
LOL! thanks for the laugh. descent was great, wish it kept on as we clearly need a good flight, killing game against each other. oh, and any chicker worthy of a ring must game! cheers!

I was stuck using a 14.4k, then a 28.8k modem, SLIP'd...
SLIP'd? LOL!!! totally forgot that..nice one man! =P

LoL... great story! ahaha.

I was stuck using a 14.4k, then a 28.8k modem, SLIP'd (and later PPP) into a local college's server to connect to the internet.. For me, I was stuck play games with about 3-4 people at the same time, or else the lag would too, disturbing.

I actually played a lot of Duke Nukem 3D this way too, 1 vs 1.. Although in order to get a decent ping and playable games, I had to play people that were connected directly to the internet, through a very ISDN or through their college's internet back then. Funny thing was, I played Duke Nukem with a joystick, like Descent.. I remember one guy asked me how the hell I was able to smoothly circle around him and keep a constant aim beed on him.

I almost always used the shotgun in Duke Nukem 3D, and occasionally the trip wires.. Now that was a fun environment. The shotgun didn't spread out that much far away, so it was IMO unbalanced. It still will take a whole bunch of hits to kill someone, especially if they had a medkit on person, but its a instant hit-scan weapon, so I'd just plink them to death, while moving evasively.

===
Then comes the world of MUD's and MUCK's and the other text online varients.. There's a reason why I avoid MMORPG's these days..

===

Oh.. and can't forget Tradewars 2002 on BBS "doors".

Where to start?

Playing Doom 2 co-op and then going off to Boyscouts. The discovery of pressing the spacebar when you get close to a stripper in Duke 3D (every aspect of that game, played it co-op like a madman, must've beaten it 10+ times).

The N64 days were amazing, I don't think any console since has been as much fun or had as much charm. Goldeneye, being the guy who knew all the maps and could aim under pressure; Mario Kart & Smash Brothers, hell, even Mario party!

Doom 3 actually had some good moments, one release day me and my buddy (completely sober, still in HS) fired it up, turned off the lights, cranked the sound... jumped out of my seat quite a few times (for the first hour, after that... ehh)

Hours of Warcraft 3, Starcraft, Counter-Strike... the conversations that came up with those games were fantastic too, I really miss that stuff, not enough time now...

Hours and hours of Quake Team Fortress listening to the then brand-new Mortal Kombat soundtrack. Orbital Halycon On & On with the rock just triggered my mind to stored a memory. Oh the good ole' days.

G'ßöö;1031171232 said:
- 1972 and pong. it all started there
- living in an arcade from 1980-85
- countless hours with war2 on bnc/coax, dos drivers with < p90's. where multiplay excelled. don't forget rott =P
- ~1994 my basement. 17 pc lan action quake, 2 were mac's. what a weekend :D

edit/add: finally beating garden of war with a buddy against 6 computers + beating plains of snow by myself vs 6 computers

Wow you brought memories.. I did the arcade thing for 8-10 years before I owned a coleco vision. Zaxxon... then from there the first nintendo etc etc.....

The single best gaming memory I have is staying up till 4 in the morning, fueled by coffee, playing the hacking sim Uplink. I loved that game, must have played it at least half a dozen times since it was released (playing it again atm actually)
There's nothing like the sound of the 'man' tracing you down as you try to steal that file and cover your tracks,

I was stuck using a 14.4k, then a 28.8k modem, SLIP'd (and later PPP) into a local college's server to connect to the internet.. For me, I was stuck play games with about 3-4 people at the same time, or else the lag would too, disturbing.
Oh man, I had SLIP lines in college (which wasn't even that long ago) and had to deal with our servers constantly crashing. Was a bad time for EQ to come out and for my friends and I to get addicted. We would get back from class to find the lines down and unable to get to orc hill to camp our might SSB! ;) The following year we were in a house where my buddy had us all wired together (and cable modem) for hours of fun on AOE2 and UT.

Everquest - My best gaming experience ever.

Oblivion - probably my 2nd favorite game ever and still playing it some

Ultima Online and Dark Age of Camelot - all the PVP and fun with guildmates

Dark Forces - Playing all the way through the single player game, awesome experience

Quake & Doom 2 LAN parties with friends

OLD SCHOOL: Eye of the Beholder and Dark Sun

Wing Commander: Privateer

Golden Axe at the local bowling alley when I was a little kid

Kings Quest on a PC Junior when I was a little kid

console hockey games with my college roommates

I got kinda sad when Sephiroth killed Aries in Final Fantasy 7, its was a real bummer at the time. Also when Diablo 2 came out My friends and I went out and got the collectors editions , then whet back to one of the friends houses and played the game nonstop for 2 days all the while surviving on a steady stream of Dr. Pepper and Beef Jerkey, we all past out at the beggining of the 3rd day and slept for 12 or more hours. When we woke up I didnt know what day it was and my freinds mom all made us lunch. I was awsome.

Also riding my bike up to a local bowling alley to play Street Fighter 2 on the Arcade, those were the days!.

My first experience playing Half-Life Deathmatch in Killbox with low gravity settings. Now that was an unforgettable experience!:D

During one of those games my buddy and I were on the main floor trying to take each other out with pistols We were circling around each other, jumped at the same time and recreated ingame that moment from the Matrix (Neo vs. Agent Smith where thry fy in circles around each other) The best part was when we finally landed we both ran out of ammo and my friend was quicker on the crowbar draw. He got the Kill, but it was worth it!

I also remember using Det Packs on that mep- especially placing them on this small floating platform that was also a common spawn point. First time I took out someone with that trick was priceless!

Back