your 7900GT oc's!

RexPokinghorn said:
So wait, coolbits only alters the clock frequencies for one video card?

How do I get it to alter the other, or both?

Im not entirely sure. I would think is ony altering the primary card.

I would say your best bet is to run each card by them self and find the best overclcok for each card. Then flash the cards BIOS to the clocks you want.

I got a XFX 7900GT Extreme the other day. Stock clocks are the 520/1500. Using coolbits it overclocked to 545/1610. This is watercooled at 29-30C idle and 32-33C load. However, I am able to use powerstrip to get a much better overclock with no visable artifacts. 580/1780 appears to be my sweet spot. At around 590 the core will start to produce random occasional light blue dots and the memory will start to tear at around 1790. Should be able to easily break 21k with a little performance tweaking.

3dMark03 - 20884 : http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=4691989

id like to see what temps other ppl are getting at full load on stock coolers...

Jason711 said:
id like to see what temps other ppl are getting at full load on stock coolers...
In a closed case with all quiet fans and stock XFX 7900GT Extreme 520/1500 speeds using the stock cooler:

idle:

load (15 minutes of RTHDRIBL @ 1024x768):

I hate to have to bring it up again, but for air cooling absolute temperates are meaningless for comparison. You need to state what the ambient temperature is.

From the pictures above: at idle the GPU is running 16C over ambient (25C) and under load it's 33C over ambient (26C). (ignore the other Sandra sensors above besides the first 2 temperatures and first 2 fans... most are showing wrong)

RexPokinghorn said:
So wait, coolbits only alters the clock frequencies for one video card?

How do I get it to alter the other, or both?
According to Guru3D's SLI guide, it does alter both clock frequencies cause the cards need to be synchronized:
Overclocking in SLI mode

Overclocking in SLI mode is just the same as with a single card. Whether using Coolbits or Rivatuner, only ONE set of Core and memory speeds will be displayed. Dont worry, this is totally normal. When you overclock either the memory or core clock slider it is overclocking BOTH cards. The reason you cant see two sets of controls (one for each card) is because clock speeds have to be sync'ed for SLI to work properly. If there were a set for each card, you could run one card at a different speed to the other, leading to possible stability issues.
One final note. Riva Tuner will only display clock frequencies and temp values for the primary card, and not the secondary one. Again, this is normal. When you overclock using Riva Tuner you are automatically overclocking both cards.

Temperature doesn't appear to have much effect on overclocking. Can anyone else verify this? I never ran mine with the stock heatsink. Also, when you use powerstrip, it allows you to go higher then coolbits? I tried setting my core to 570 and coolbits reported that it didn't pass. Does powerstrip get around that?

just checked the status of my 7900gt

Mar 22, 2006 9:02 AM On FedEx vehicle for delivery SALISBURY, MD

looks like i'll be having some fun tonight :D

gonna try overclocking stock, then i'll slap my VF700CU on it and see if I can go any higher

noobtech said:
what are you guys using to OC??? I am not digging coolbits. it barely overclocks my 7800 gt's.

coolbits doesnt overclock it for you, it allows you to see the adjustments and set your own clocks, i use it (integrated into Rivatuner) to run my 7800GT at 530/1260 (stock 445/1070), waiting for the turn in queue to come up to step up to the 7900GT CO Superclock

EVGA 7900GT CO stock 500/1500 @ 600/1600. I took out the stock HSF and put this beast on it. It has dual heat pipe and 80mm quite fan which i can barely hear now :D

You can find it as VC-RHC in google, i bought it from newegg for $22 shipped.

ever5107.jpg

So far, 530/816 - 816 being the limit of the drivers. Trying systool, but at work, VNCing into my home box to tweak because I'm bored.

Rendus said:
So far, 530/816 - 816 being the limit of the drivers. Trying systool, but at work, VNCing into my home box to tweak because I'm bored.

man... thats almost sad.. ;)

Running a EVGA 7900 GT here, and so far (with an optimum setting configuration in Coolbits) am running at 577 / (900) 1800 on stock cooling with no artifacts in sight in RTHDRIBL. I wonder, though, what's a safe operating temp for the card? It's running at 49-50C on idle and 64-67C on load with this setting (which is just at the first yellow bar in the Nvidia temp settings). How much would be too much?

Update: Ran 3dMark05 and was getting some artifacts, so I knocked the speed down to 570 / (900) 1800, and so far, so good. =) Score of 9445.

Heyas Anaconda? I can't seem to find the VC-RHC cooler on NE. Things have a way of disappearing and reappearing on there for some reason, but I'll see if I can find it elsewhere. But one thing I wanted to inquire about was how hard it was to put on, and if you had to do any shifting or modding to get the cooler attached. Right now the 7900 is the only thing in my system I can hear, and I'd like to silence it up, but not without nixing my chances of doing a Step-Up in the future.

Mine goes to around 548 core 1800 mem with coolbits. Is there a way to run coolbits so it doesn't test your settings before applying them? I'd like to push it till I see artifacts. I second the question of what max temp I should run my card at.

Got mine up and running.

Coolbits autodetects 550/1712.. so I "should" be able to get a little more out of it. Ran RTHDRIBL for about 15 mintues and at full load the card only hit 60c on stock cooling (it sits at 49c idle).

3dmark06 score

3DMark Score 5351 3DMarks

SM 2.0 Score 2217 Marks

SM 3.0 Score 2205 Marks

CPU Score 1813 Marks

annaconda said:
EVGA 7900GT CO stock 500/1500 @ 600/1600. I took out the stock HSF and put this beast on it. It has dual heat pipe and 80mm quite fan which i can barely hear now :D

You can find it as VC-RHC in google, i bought it from newegg for $22 shipped.

ever5107.jpg
Wow, how many slots does that thing take up???

Managed to find an answer to my earlier temperature question:

http://www.guru3d.com/article/Videocards/326/4/

"A maximum 73 Degrees C peak temperature was monitored at the 7900 GTX, it is actually becoming the norm. Ventilation, the cooling fan at 100% utilization does not make a lot of noise at all on all cards though, in fact the HD is producing way more noise then the reference coolers on these NVIDIA graphics card and that's very nice to observe. The 7900 GTX however is the most silent thanks to that nice heatpipe-cooler.

Both the 7600 GT & 7900 GT show very acceptable temperature levels at roughly 65 Degrees C."

My XFX (520/1500) is running fine at 560/1740 full load is 65c and idle is 44c

My eVGA 7900GT CO runs rock stable @ 588/1760 so far . . . gonna wait a week or so for the AS5 for settle and then gonna go for 600/1800 stable. It benches at 600/1800 no prob but I do get some graphical glitches . . . broke 10K in 3DMark05 and 5K in 3DMark06 with it at 600/1200 . . . :)

With an NV Silencer 5 full load goes to 62C @ 600/1800, though this is before the AS5 settles . . .

I was able to test my volt mod lastnight. Went from 550/1600 to 640/1880 by just doing the simple 1 wire 1.4V mod. My temps went up some but I think I did a bang up job on the thermal compound so I am going to try again tonight. I played oblivian for over an hour with no artifacts, although I didn't notice that much of a difference speed wise. I think I need to get another one of these, volt mod it and then I'd be happy :)

im only able to get 530/816 on my eVga 7900gt. :( maybe its a driver issue, im running 84.21

XFX 7900gt extreme (550/1.83) vmoded GPU to 1.55V 700/1900. works fine @ 720/1940.
Maze4 LP, ramsinks.
3dmark01 33536
3dmard06 6312
Optie 170 @ 2.7

Mine are at 565/1800. coolbits won't let them go any higher on the cores, haven't tried to go any higher on the ram. 12736 3dmark05

The_Dark_Abyss said:
My eVGA 7900GT CO runs rock stable @ 588/1760 so far . . . gonna wait a week or so for the AS5 for settle and then gonna go for 600/1800 stable. It benches at 600/1800 no prob but I do get some graphical glitches . . . broke 10K in 3DMark05 and 5K in 3DMark06 with it at 600/1200 . . . :)

With an NV Silencer 5 full load goes to 62C @ 600/1800, though this is before the AS5 settles . . .

ouch...tad bit warm for a 7900gt, even with a good oc

The_Dark_Abyss said:

What is your ambient temp?

Might wanna check out the seating of the cooler, when I first put mine on my temps were very similar to my stock temps. Needless to say I wasn't happy about that and reseated the nv5 and now I get about 10C lower temps at load;load temps around 50-54C now @ 575/1720.

Nice OC though :D

With the 1.55Vmod I can do 710 on the core no problem, but the memory had to be lowered to 1580 to do it. Should I do the .2 V increase on the memory, and do ramsinks actually do anything with these chips?

danbanger said:
What is your ambient temp?

Might wanna check out the seating of the cooler, when I first put mine on my temps were very similar to my stock temps. Needless to say I wasn't happy about that and reseated the nv5 and now I get about 10C lower temps at load;load temps around 50-54C now @ 575/1720.

Nice OC though :D

Ambient temps are around average room temp - 20C

I dunno. I may have to reseat it since my idle temps are around 47C which is way too high. I remember my 7800GT would idle at 40C with the stock cooler. I even cut out a part of my case (yeah I cut up my Tsunami, but it wa quick and painless ;)) so all the hot air should be exhausted out . . .

I have plenty of airflow in my case and I have a 120mm fan blowing straight into the video card so I don't think it's an airflow problem . . . I'll have to figure it out tomorrow . . .

0zymandias said:
Mine goes to around 548 core 1800 mem with coolbits. Is there a way to run coolbits so it doesn't test your settings before applying them? I'd like to push it till I see artifacts. I second the question of what max temp I should run my card at.

You can find it on Newegg, sorry for late reply. I had the same problem with stock cooler it was the only thing i was hearing also, and after putting this baby on it is quite. No there is no modding or any thing you have to do.

PM me if you need help, and make sure there is only two pins with nuts will work on your 7900GT.

google:

"disable internal clock test using Rivatuner"

that will allow you to apply clocks without passing the "test"

gurgle said:
but rivatuner doesnt work with the 7900's right?

why wouldn't it? the only thing that it will do is tell you it doesn't recognize the driver version you are using if you are using the newest ones, but that doesn't stop it from working, it's just letting you know it doesn't recognize that driver version number and hasn't been "tested" to work 100%, but it always works

you see, Rivatuner, is nothing more than a GUI that makes registry changes in the Nvidia driver, specifically, the overclocking part of Rivatuner simply inserts the "enable colbits" into the registry for you, so overclocking with Rivatuner is exactly the same thing as entering the coolbits registry entry yourself manually and adjusting through the driver control panel....same thing

Back