Your #1 PC game of the decade (and the biggest disappointment) ***poll***

Your favorite game of the decade

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Really hard choice here and if I thought hard about it I'd probably change my mind about 20 times, but I'm going to say System Shock 2 (and shoe in SS1 along with it).

As for most disappointing... probably Stalker, even thought it was still a good game, it was such a let down for how much the developer hyped it up.

STALKER was my best game of the decade, but I neglected to consider that it was only after fans had fixed it and modded it to hell for Oblivion Lost / Stalker Complete.

When it came out it was broken and the dev team was so small.

Counter-Strike (not source). Most hours played for me, but that was a few years ago. Now it would be DotA (Warcraft 3 custom map).

Wow, those are two of my favorites :mad:

Doesn't mean that Fallout 3 or Half-Life 2 were bad games. They were pretty good. Unfortunately, for me, they were absolute disappointments.

I expected them to do amazing things with their respective franchises but both were totally anticlimactic and didn't live up to their names for me. Fallout 3 was just Oblivion was guns (despite what anyone else will say). The engine was dated and look bad. The game just couldn't live up to what the Fallout 1, 2, and Tactics franchise had been for me. The storyline was short and extremely lacking. The fact that you could pass the game so quickly without doing the side stories (without even realizing it and not being able to go back) did it for me too. The world was lacking in all those things that I wanted.

Half-Life 2 seemed half-baked to me. The storyline didn't really exist, they sort of just jerked Freeman out of deep freeze, put him on a journey in an empty depopulated world without any real story being told, and then they cut it out and said: "well, have fun! you won't see the ending of this game until 2012!" (or whenever Episode III comes out)

I guess q3 is a 1999 game despite being released in december of 1999, lol. If that were on the list that'd be it.

Out of the choices above, I'd probably have to say L4D. The only game able to give me nightmares. Well, just the tank. xD

I'd have to vote: Other however, for CSS.

Worst game?
Probably SoF1. I didn't really like it, after playing the 2nd one.

WC3 Custom Games gave me over 5 years of play time and 12000hrs+ of enjoyment.

its hard to say... this decade saw countless revolutions in the gaming industry... for me a large amount of time was spent on: neverwinter nights, diablo 2, half-life 1 and 2 and mods, the entire battlefield series,
baldurs gate and expansions/sequels/adaptations, starcraft, stalker, vampire: the masquerade bloodlines, age of empires series,oblivion, company of heroes, fallout 1 2 and 3, quake series, cod series, l4d series,
operation flashpoint: cold war crisis, etc. etc. etc.....

Not saying its the best or my favorite game of the decade, but of that list the game that had the biggest impact would probably be WoW. Completely turned the MMO market on its ass with casual friendly / non-grinding gameplay and more quest content that you can shake a stick at. Nothing else has come along to seriously challange it since, and it continues to reign supreme to this day.

I voted RTW, but I would have to say Oblivion pips it to the post. A brilliant combination of first-person action and role-playing. Though not quite as epic in the same style as BG2 (and DA:O maybe; I haven't played it), it looks absolutely awesome, and it is impressively long, impressively detailed, and impressively immersive. An absolutely awesome game, and I think it builds very well upon previous role-playing games especially with consequences of various actions you may decide to take.

Yea, I guess its real limiting when you only have 10 options in a poll.

So many other contenders: Dawn of War series, Deus Ex, the latter 2 Elder Scrolls, UT2004, Max Payne (both of them), Neverwinter Nights, Far Cry, Battlefield series, Grand Theft Auto series, The Chronicles of Riddick Escape from Butcher Bay (the first one), Painkiller, Company of Heroes, Galactic Civilizations, GTR / GTR Legends, Doom 3, Pray, Supreme Commander, STALKER series, Bioshock ect.

Course I know I'm just scratching the surface myself.

Biggest disappointment for me was Unreal Tournament 3.

And the best without a doubt:

Tribes.

I don't think System Shock 2 qualifies since it came out in August 1999. That means it was neither released in this decade (Jan 1, 2000 - Dec 31, 2010), nor in the past decade (Dec 7, 1999 to Dec, 6, 2009).

Fallout 3.

And by the way, the list is suspect. What the hell is Left 4 Dead doing on there? That's not even game of the year material, let alone game of the decade?

Deux ex, KOTOR and Mass Effect probably had a place in the poll judging from everyone's responses. Deus ex votes are rivaling the most popular stuff, nothing's really going to beat out HL2 though. Even though I'm in agreement that the game was overrated, it was the launching pad for so many great mods and games it makes up for any flaws the original game might've had.

Voted Stalker cause it was good the first time around and mods made the game very replayable.

Diablo 2/LoD has to be mine while there are others I keep coming back to( Oblivion, L4D, TF2) I lost track long ago of how many different characters I've made, even if it is the same story over and over it's still fun every time with whatever class I'm playing through as. That is why it's one of a handful of programs I install on all my new computers.

#1 game: Has to be Counter-Strike. Must have thousands of hours through the years by now. Also the only game to make me money. How can you beat that?

Disappointment: Duke Nukem Forever :mad::rolleyes:

I loved Quake 2-3 and CS (up to 1.6)...
I spent many many hours on Diablo 1+2+XP...

However, no game has taken a hold of my life for as long as WoW has...
I'm glad I'm out of it, but I must say I enjoyed it like a Mofo when I was playing it...

I wanted to give an honorable mention to COD4...

Biggest disappointment:
Quake 4 for sure!
To a lesser extend MW2 (because COD4 was soooo good, and they managed to make an mediocre sequel)

Last edited:
I'm not going to list any mmorpg in this list

for me the best games of the decade are Mafia, BG2 and Deus Ex

Many disappointing games as well but few that come to my mid first are Spore and Black and White 2

And for those who are upset that games like FF7 aren't listed please remember this is the poll for this decade.

My best game of the decade would have to be Battlefield 1942, the game singlehandedly turned me onto online multiplayer. And no i'm not a kid, I turned 30 this year, just never really cared much for the games I had tried online before that. Quake, doom, and ut just never interested me much.

Biggest dissapointment would have to be a tie between ET: Quake Wars, and the new Wolfenstein game. The both failed miserably to capture what made ET and RTCW before it so fun. I know I was far from the only one hoping that one of these would essentially be ET on a modern engine with a larger choice of weapons and options, a full compliment of maps and full dev support. I and MANY others would ahve paid $50 for that in a heartbeat. Instead they tried to make QW into et:battlefield, and I don't know wtf they were up to with the Wolfenstein MP, the SP was actually kinda cool I though.

I'm going to have to say Oblivion has influenced me more than any other game this decade.

I played Morrowind a bit, but at the time I was playing it I didn't really understand the ES universe and I definitely didn't have the patience to enjoy the game. I gave up on it way too soon.

Oblivion had a lot of rough edges to start. Okay, it was pretty terrible. However, mods made it all better. Not just from a consumption standpoint either - I really enjoyed learning about how the mods worked and how to make them. I spent more time reading about mods and discussing how to make the game better than I spent actually playing the game. It really hooked me.

Runner up would be Supreme Commander. I'm a huge huge fan of Total Annihilation, and I spent a long time playing SupCom... and playing around with its blueprints. I'm totally devastated with the direction SupCom 2 is going.

Biggest disappointment is probably Diablo 2. I honestly think the game looks terrible, and it was the first thing I noticed about the game, and I abandoned it for years. Diablo 1 looked considerably better - and that's really not a huge surprise when you consider D2 had the same resolution. I played the game later and enjoyed it somewhat, but it just wasn't nearly as cool or as scary as the first game.

Civ definitely got most of my gaming time over the decade. I can't wait for Civ 5. Counterstrike would be a close second, though I haven't played it for a few months now.

Cities XL was a pretty big disappointment for me. So much promise.

+1 for Medal of Honor Allied Assault. Had its flaws, but due in part to me being younger and having a lot of free time, I played MOHAA for so long, good times. ;)

WoW is GotD because it has re-enforced PC gaming. There are better games yes, but none have had as big an impact.

It is a game that draws people that play all forms of games and those that don't. It is the greatest of its kind and of which all MMO's will be compared to.

I am an FPS and racing sim player.

UT99 oh wait...darn it. Morrowind it is. Dragon Age is right up there though!

Biggest let down = Thief 3. It was my first exposure to the phenomenon known as "consolization".

Had to go with Diablo II, although a few of the others were serious alternatives in my mind: Half Life II was amazing, and the engine did so much for us; Warcraft III still has a pretty big following and spawned DOTA, which has a huge following and even inspired another game; and WoW pretty much redefined the MMORPG genre and redefined success.

Back