Young People Followed SOPA News More Than Election News

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Maybe congratulations are in order for the creators of the SOPA/PIPA bills for the impact they accidentally created in waking up the young users of the Internet. It takes a lot to start a movement and raise awareness of events occurring around us, especially with the under thirty crowd.

Their ridiculously bad miscalculation in introducing ridiculously bad bills has now awakened a very large percentage of young people to these issues, in a way that won't just go away.

I think you'll find that younger people are more readily concerned with single issue matters than broad party politics. Honestly, I consider such per issue thinking more appealing. Rather than standing on the party's line with unyeilding loyalty, individuals ought to take an active interest in the particulars of a situation.

Unless you are in the party or plan to vote for one of the candidates, there's no reason to stay 100% up to date with politics in primary season. It's not going to get really ugly until this summer when we know who's running.

Like it matters which puppet is president... You could have a stuffed ferret and it would have more control...

Unless you are in the party or plan to vote for one of the candidates, there's no reason to stay 100% up to date with politics in primary season. It's not going to get really ugly until this summer when we know who's running.

overseas in europe we look at republicans as comedy, it's not far from it.
It's not the general republicans that are the comedy, it's who's running the diffrent campaigns.

They just don't get it for some reason. Even if SOPA did pass, even if they can pass something like it later on, they might get their way for a short time, but the outrage would be too great and their place in history would be sealed as 'the Rtards that thought they could censor our virtual playground'. Hell, I'd be willing to bet that it might wake up some people so much that we'd have younger people run for office and get voted in by everyone who got pissed off. Maybe that won't be necessary though. By now I'm sure the Asshats in Washington realize we've all stocked up on torches and pitchforks and are just itching to use them.

overseas in europe we look at republicans as comedy, it's not far from it.
It's not the general republicans that are the comedy, it's who's running the diffrent campaigns.

Having widely traveled Europe, I can say most of you have no actual clue what the hell a US republican is, or a US Democrat for that matter. I don't blame you. You learned everything you know about them from one left leaning news outlet or another. I don't even want to go into the stupidity I had to deal with overseas whenever a Republican was president. From Reagan to Bush Jr. Even the prostitutes had an opinion, and felt it was an edict from some God or another to share it with me, and demand I somehow answer for misdeeds I am not even sure took place..

Single issue voters are the bane of US society. They are easily swayed by one issue and one issue only. Often times, only because the press has publicized that one issue. They can never see the wider view, and are so easily distracted by the "one issue" that they will accept a ton of bad for an ounce of good.

Sopa is a great issue to get up in arms over, but who do you vote out of office over it, or into office over it?

Obama and most of the dems were all for until it got too much press and then they were suddenly against it, or were suddenly very, very quiet. Same goes for the other side, of the aisle. This is where the one issue voter shows his stupidity, and votes for the party that better spins this one issue in the press. Hilarious if you ask me. :(

Considering SOPA/PIPA are way bigger issues than an election that was determined over a year ago, I'd say this is a good thing.

Considering SOPA/PIPA are way bigger issues than an election that was determined over a year ago, I'd say this is a good thing.

Spoiler alert! Oh, please tell us the outcome of this year-old determination!

Having widely traveled Europe, I can say most of you have no actual clue what the hell a US republican is, or a US Democrat for that matter. I don't blame you. You learned everything you know about them from one left leaning news outlet or another. I don't even want to go into the stupidity I had to deal with overseas whenever a Republican was president. From Reagan to Bush Jr. Even the prostitutes had an opinion, and felt it was an edict from some God or another to share it with me, and demand I somehow answer for misdeeds I am not even sure took place..

Agreed. It's comical to me that Europeans have the mindset that they're somehow better off or have some moral high ground. Their political systems are just as corrupt.

"He's the president the US deserves. But not the one it needs right now."

Applies to Ferret? LOL

I think you'll find that younger people are more readily concerned with single issue matters than broad party politics. Honestly, I consider such per issue thinking more appealing. Rather than standing on the party's line with unyeilding loyalty, individuals ought to take an active interest in the particulars of a situation.

I'm a democrat, but I'd vote for Ron Paul over Obama. There's nothing that says that I have to be devoted to a single party. Honestly, Ron Paul won't make it, and the other Republicans look like assholes. So at this point I feel like I have no good choices for when it comes time for elections.

I would think people are feeling the same. SOPA on the other hand will make a difference, and is something I can crap all over. SOPA is a very binary choice, where as the candidates all look like idiots, including Obama.

I want Ron Paul to win also but theres no chance at this point it seems like. The system is rigged. No matter how many people vote for him they'll just say Romney won or Newt. The puppets of the corporations are being covered on tv while Ron Paul who is outside the establishment is being ignored because he can't be bought or paid. The general american person think Romney is good when in reality hes just another puppet with strings attached to company ceos just like Obama. We are doomed mostly. Prepare for war, world war 3 ;). Theres going to be more SOPA bills, they want full control of the internet and freedoms online. They want ownership of the internet to control what is good and what is bad from their view like China's internet. Most people trust the government too much. People can't trust politicians but they trust the government. Isn't that hypocritical. Thats pretty much a oxymoron. I'm not saying you have to wear a tin foil hat but its obvious most of these guys are corrupt and taking money from corporations. Its obvious most politicians in government aren't working in the american peoples best interests. Its pretty logical.

Elections in the US don't actually mean anything. No matter who gets elected, the government as a whole will still continue on with their regular corrupted duties. In fact they just pick the winner out of the air anyway. We all know Obama is going to win until he reaches the max terms, it's always been the way it was. Everyone hated bush, yet he still won all the time. The vote system is just to give people the feeling that they're making a difference.

And I like how they keep saying "upcoming election". They've been saying that for how long, months? When is the election actually going to be?

I want Ron Paul to win also but theres no chance at this point it seems like. The system is rigged.

Just as a little reminder, it doesn't matter who is "in power". It's still the same corrupt system. Even if this puppet get's in it will change exactly 0 because he doesn't actually have the power to change anything. :p

I think you'll find that younger people are more readily concerned with single issue matters than broad party politics.

Are you kidding? 21st century D/R US politics are the very definition of whack-a-mole single issues that have no respect to overarching political theories.

There's nothing "young" about it.

I'm a democrat, but I'd vote for Ron Paul over Obama. There's nothing that says that I have to be devoted to a single party. Honestly, Ron Paul won't make it, and the other Republicans look like assholes. So at this point I feel like I have no good choices for when it comes time for elections.

I would think people are feeling the same. SOPA on the other hand will make a difference, and is something I can crap all over. SOPA is a very binary choice, where as the candidates all look like idiots, including Obama.
I doubt Ron Paul will make it for president but I'm going to vote for him in the primaries. I don't care what racist or homophobic crap had his name on it, I'm not voting for Obama and I'm not voting for any of the other Republican idiots that are currently on top of the primaries. I'm somewhere around center as far as politics go but I'll probably end up considered left of center because I hate people trying to push their opinion of morals in politics and while I believe life is the survival of the fittest I have also realize that the US is wasting money on military and we should be able to afford some healthy form of nationalized health care; we're supposed to be a wealthy country FFS, why can't we have affordable healthcare? The only real reason to migrate to the US anymore is if your original country is a complete dump.

I'll admit that SOPA got me fairly fired up and proved to me that many of our politicians don't care to read or understand legislation before they support it so I'll be using informational sites such as opensecrets.org to pick who I vote for this year and I'll be voting across parties.

I think the best weapon against these politicians that are too comfortable in their jobs is to be a swing voter. They depend on the people that straight vote one party; if enough people stop focusing on parties then the politicians will have to start thinking outside of the box.

I'm reminded of the south park episode where the moral of the story was... "In the end if our only choices is a douche bag or a turd sandwich we really don't have a choice".

That said, it doesn't matter who's in the white house, or who's going to be running (that's the "election" news), the person who's ruling our country doesn't have enough power to really fuck it up that bad by himself, it takes all those "public servants" who go on vacation when the weather gets too uncomfortable in DC who really know how to fuck up a country.

Just as a little reminder, it doesn't matter who is "in power". It's still the same corrupt system. Even if this puppet get's in it will change exactly 0 because he doesn't actually have the power to change anything. :p

I glad some people realize this. Unbelievable how many willfully ignorant people there are. Or just plain ignorant. :(

Don't get me wrong, SOPA and PIPA are some of the worst bits of legislation to come out in quite a while, but am I the only one who gets pissed off to see the ignorant masses stand up against such policies? Yes, they might be on the right side of the argument in my opinion, but they have no idea WHY they are on the right side. All they know is SOPA = bad. If you ask them why they usually say something like "ITZ GUNNAS TURN OFF THE INTERNETZ!". It seems that people on this forum have a much better understanding of the issue than the rest of the internet population, which from my estimations has the combined intelligence of a dumbass.

I just feel like no matter what side you support, if you don't understand the basic facts of an issue, shut the hell up until you actually know a little about what you are talking about.

It is helpful to have the mindless masses be on your side of an issue... but it still doesn't feel right. Just my two cents :D

Agreed. It's comical to me that Europeans have the mindset that they're somehow better off or have some moral high ground. Their political systems are just as corrupt.

I don't think he's talking about corruption. It's simply well known that "republican" ideology - not even considering the recent tea movement - is considered fringe or extremist in most places abroad. Democrats are the center right or even plain right-wing party elsewhere, it's all relative, most of the world would be considered left by US standards.

I wish people were more aware of the treaty that's been signed and only needs Senate ratification that does much of what SOPA was going to do.

I wish people were more aware of the treaty that's been signed and only needs Senate ratification that does much of what SOPA was going to do.

Yeah, that is a really big deal.
Some of the other countries already consider it binding with just Obama's signature. It is not as far as US law is concerned. Time was starting to run out on signing the treaty, and due to narcissism, it was believed that Obama's signature would spur other countries to sign. Now they have time to let it fall out of the press to get it ratified.
What is funny, is that this will be blamed on the republicans, even though Obama signed it without a ratification vote. I don't count back room straw votes.

Both parties want this treaty. The people do not seem to. If it is ratified, against the wishes of the people I will, laugh. because the people will do nothing about it. This treaty does nothing for anyone that is not already a millionaire. People will go to the polls and vote for Obuma or whoever the republicans put out there, they will vote to keep the majority of the incumbents, and then they will cry about how bad everything sucks.

We fucking deserve this shit.

This is obvious.

People don't like their right violated, and privacy destroyed.... any person.

On the other hand, the fucking REPUBLICAN DEBATE and all that talk, is 100% boring..... and I am saying this as a politics/news junky! It's just plain fucking boring rich people, trying to buy off votes..... it's pathetic how bad the republicans are..... they still don't have a person, and they've been complaining about Obama since the first day the black guy stepped into office. My reply to them every time..... "who do you guys have?" Oh that's right... nobody, even STILL! Sad joke of political parties....

Don't get me wrong, SOPA and PIPA are some of the worst bits of legislation to come out in quite a while, but am I the only one who gets pissed off to see the ignorant masses stand up against such policies? Yes, they might be on the right side of the argument in my opinion, but they have no idea WHY they are on the right side. All they know is SOPA = bad. If you ask them why they usually say something like "ITZ GUNNAS TURN OFF THE INTERNETZ!". It seems that people on this forum have a much better understanding of the issue than the rest of the internet population, which from my estimations has the combined intelligence of a dumbass.
Fight fire with fire, if the other side is going to use dumb ignorant masses to convert to their side, why not do the same? Difference is one side's dumb masses thinks piracy funds terrorism and is the reason why jobs have shipped overseas, where as the other side thinks its about the government trying to be tyrannical or something

really? guy supports SOPA, calls other people dumbasses? Ironic?!

So you want corporations, and paidoff government officials to be able to have the control over what sites can show what? Oh, comcast doesn't like that video on youtube.... CLICK CLICK, its gone now, just because comcast doesn't want it.

And if you think they won't abuse that power...... you're an idiot. I do NOT want to even begin giving them control of anything that the PEOPLE need. This is advancements in tech communication, 1v1, person to person. What gives them overall control and rights to what is posted online... they did not create, fund, or do shit for the internet, so why do you think they should be able to control what does onto it?

Hey you, what do you see?
Something beautiful, something free?
Don't bother to resist, or we'll beat you.
Old-fashioned fascism will take it away.
There's no time to discriminate.
Hate every motherf***** that's in your way.

Now does the president really not have any power for this stuff, or is it that any new president is just brainwashed right away to ensure he is on "their side"? I always wonder if at one point a very moral president will resist this, and address the public and tell it as it is, and do what's right. But that does seem quite like nonsense. :D

I know if I was elected president, I'd gather all the info I can on the "insides" of what's going on, and on my first public speech I'd reveal it all, and promise to do my best to change it. I'd probably get fired, but at least all the corruption would have been revealed. There's lot of inside stuff we can speculate on, such as the payouts that go on, but to be able to actually reveal it would be quite something. And while we're worried about our rights on the internet, there are probably tons of other corrupted stuff going on such as oil related issues and what not.

The white house should really be called the black house, because there is quite a lot of evil going on in there in the name of money.

Back