You'll soon get 10TB SSDs thanks to new memory tech

erek

[H]F Junkie
"SSDs and other flash memory devices will soon get cheaper and larger thanks to big announcements from Toshiba and Intel. Both companies revealed new "3D NAND" memory chips that are stacked in layers to pack in more data, unlike single-plane chips currently used. Toshiba said that it's created the world's first 48-layer NAND, yielding a 16GB chip with boosted speeds and reliability. The Japanese company invented flash memory in the first place and has the smallest NAND cells in the world at 15nm. Toshiba is now giving manufacturers engineering samples, but products using the new chips won't arrive for another year or so."

http://www.engadget.com/2015/03/27/toshiba-intel-3d-nand-chips/?ncid=rss_truncated

For sufficiently long definitions of soon (years).

This.

The vendors are going to milk the SSD teet for as long as they can. Can't blame'em for that. Hell most of the public doesn't even know what an SSDs is. Nowhere near mainstream yet. [H]ard|User mainstream yes, "public at large" no. And with OCZ's "highly publicized" failures nobody want to try some unknown Chinese off brand, even at a lower cost.

tl;dr SSD prices are staying "high"/GB for the time being vs MHD.

I can see these happening in the next 2 to 3 years but I also expect this to be a $3500+ part at these densities.

The article is surely talking about mainstream consumer SSDs. Since currently that category tops out at 1TB -- and the reason 2TB is so rare is market forces, not technology -- it is unlikely that we will see 10TB mainstream consumer SSDs for several years. The price per GB of flash will have to decrease by nearly a factor of 10 before we see 10TB consumer SSDs. While the new 3D flash opens up a path to achieve that kind of cost reduction, it is not going to happen overnight. Most likely we will see cost reductions of a factor of 2 every year or two, on average, for the next 4 to 8 years.

For sufficiently long definitions of soon (years).

Within the next year I expect Intel et al will be offering 12TB raw/10TB usable drives with pricing roughly in the 4-5k$ range to the enterprise market. Given the normal enterprise premiums, that works out to 2-2.5K$ consumer type drives.

Within the next year I expect Intel et al will be offering 12TB raw/10TB usable drives with pricing roughly in the 4-5k$ range to the enterprise market. Given the normal enterprise premiums, that works out to 2-2.5K$ consumer type drives.

But since the late 1990s there is no such thing as a 2.5K consumer drive. Thus why we need to wait until we are down around the $500 range....

I think it will be more like 3k to 4.5k$ for a 10 tb ssd. And a very long time before the price does drop if it ever does.

sigh.. i will miss them spinners so much... :p

Sarcasm?

Outside of nostalgia, I won't. Right now it pains me that I have to have them due to the discrepancy in capacities between HDDs and SSDs. Sure, spinners fill the good ol' "generally reliable, multi-TB, but slower" void for now but I say bring on the affordable 2-4+TB SSDs. I want to be done with platter drives. Hate waiting for them to spin up, hate wondering when they'll die. But I also hate to think what the price of a 4TB SSD would be right now.

I'd want to know the endurance (power-off storage endurance...well, write endurance too) of this new memory before I started filling up a 10TB drive.

Sarcasm?

Outside of nostalgia, I won't. Right now it pains me that I have to have them due to the discrepancy in capacities between HDDs and SSDs. Sure, spinners fill the good ol' "generally reliable, multi-TB, but slower" void for now but I say bring on the affordable 2-4+TB SSDs. I want to be done with platter drives. Hate waiting for them to spin up, hate wondering when they'll die. But I also hate to think what the price of a 4TB SSD would be right now.

duh!

and i feel the same way as in your post, i want them gone.

There is nothing that says "consumer" like a 2K$ computer component !

Actually I was surprised to see 500 gb SSD prices at the $200 mark. That's not a bad price, and I may pick one up late in the year as an upgrade over my 120 gb SSD I have right now as my boot drive.

Actually I was surprised to see 500 gb SSD prices at the $200 mark. That's not a bad price, and I may pick one up late in the year as an upgrade over my 120 gb SSD I have right now as my boot drive.

I couldn't believe to see 500gb for only $200.

I'm still running a 120 gig I purchased for $234 dollars a few years ago. I'm looking right now to upgrade.

I purchased a 512GB ssd for $99 a month or two ago. (killer crucial deal) won't be more than 2 years that affordable 2TB+ ssds will be in our hands IMO.

Have a 256GB Samsung 850 Pro in my laptop.
Have a 500GB Samsung 850 Evo in my current workstation.

Pricing and size are rapidly approaching the point where they'll make sense even for modest mass storage. If this discovery actually helps out in then next couple years, spinning drives could be a thing of the past. Beyond that, I think we'd see an area where hard drives continue to be an option for straight-up cost savings.

Back