You'd be better off buying a...

You should waste your bonus on:

• Keep the board and CPU, upgrade the GPU.

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Keep the board, get a new CPU and GPU.

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Keep the board and CPU, go SLI.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • RAM, you need RAM... 2GB? Do you even have a microwave?

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Get a new MoBo and CPU (here's a suggestion)... upgrade the GPU when you have more money.

• Toss everything! You've kept an Asus for 2 years and still wonder? Are you serious?

• Total voters

BellaCroix

[H]ard|Gawd
Okay... I'm planning my next build (actually I've started the necessary mods for watercooling on a Lian-Li v2000) and was hoping to get a little idea of what you'd all think I should toss money around on:

The current build:
Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe
AMD Athlon 4000+ San Diego
XFX GeForce 7900 GT (1)
Corsair XMS 2GB (2 x 1GB)

The A8N32 has been pretty good to me so far, obviously the 939 socket is a liability and will limit my CPU selection (pretty much to a couple FX chips).

Basically, I've got a couple hundred bucks to toss around, I'm trying to decide what the best way to go with this upgrade.

It really depends on your bonus... so... how much of a bonus are we talking about here? :p

Well it depends on how much your couple hundred bucks is. I would personally see about trying to procure a used 4600 or 4800+ X2 and a used 7900GT for SLI, you might be able to get away for <200. You've already got 2gigs of ram, so unless you've got the cash to move to a core2 E4500 or above you're better off sticking with an X2 and SLI I think. Can your PSU handle SLI?

At the rate nvidia releases their cards and how will they retain their retail value, go with a GPU (8800GT at least). The newer flag ships are rumored to hit in march, but I doubt they'll influence the current price of 8800GTs.

SLI on a 7900 is simply not worth it with the price of a single GT.

If you go with a new board and cpu... you may have to upgrade your ram. I thought the A8N32-SLI 939 boards are DDR1.

If you stay with AMD platform and get a mb/cpu/ram upgrade... you're still stuck with a 7900. Games are heavily dependent on GPU.

Get a new board and CPU is my vote. For a couple hundred bucks (depends on your "couple" definition), you can easily get a motherboard, CPU, memory, and maybe even a decent video card.

I'd probably do something like a Gigabyte DS3L, cheap 45nm Intel Dual core, 2GB of budget DDR2...all that should only be in the $325 range.

Back