You thought Quad SLI was impressive,well then look here.

the gamer

[H]ard|Gawd
Octo-SLI Ladies and Gentelman :D

That's 4 x Geforce 7950GX2 , 8 7900 cores, 4GB of graphics memory.

I wounder what Motherboard & PSU that is :eek: .

P.S I don't own this system but I wish I did.

I'd guess it's an nForce Pro chipset (2200?), rather than nForce4/5. Wouldn't you need 32 dediced PCIe lanes for that, just on the video?

The PSU says Tagan on it, if that helps. Probably an 800W or thereabouts. The 580W model they have listed is 20A+20A, and I don't think that's enough for such a display of graphics firepower. :eek:

Edit:
It looks like they quietly launched a 900W and 1.1KW model.

Edit2:
The blue PCB on the motherboard usually indicates a Gigabyte board.
Edit2.5:
Gigabyte GA-8N SLI Quad Royal. nForce4 SLI Intel Northbridge, with nForce4 SLI AMD "Southbridge"

that image took effin forever to load.. :S

Probably one of the early dell prototypes with 4x cards..

I wish that we know what type of Bench scores were obtained, and the power consumption

CarterEVIL said:
I wish that we know what type of Bench scores were obtained, and the power consumption

None, because the current drivers won't work. They barely work on Quad SLI...

http://www.excaliberpc.com/Gigabyte_GA-8N-SLI_nForce4_SLI/GA-8N-SLI/partinfo-id-561958.html
Just over a hundred bucks for the motherboard! Pretty cheap- just wish it wasn't P4-only. No Core2, no AMD, nothing good.

Also makes me wonder if two sets of SLI would work on it. As in, 7900GTX+7900GTX, and then another pair of 7900GTX+7900GTX, separately. Finally a way to run multiple monitors in SLI?

Edit:
The Quad Royal only offers four x8 slots electrically when they are all used, not full x16's. Does the 7950GX2 work in x8 slots, or does the second PCB go unfed?

J-Mag said:
None, because the current drivers won't work. They barely work on Quad SLI...

QUAD-SLI works well apprently on a few newer gamesL

F.E.A.R.
HL2 E1
Quake 4
Doom 3

I'm sure there are a few more, but the point is that it does work, just needs to support more games, and hopefully in a month or two it will support most games that can get a boost from it. Oblivion, now if they can get that to work, that would be a big plus.

heatlesssun said:
QUAD-SLI works well apprently on a few newer gamesL

F.E.A.R.
HL2 E1
Quake 4
Doom 3

Yes, I am aware. However Nothing works in Octal SLI which is my point. Also I think the description "barely" is appropriate because 4 games is barely anything IMO. Although BF2 supposedly works as well.

Anyway, I don't think Quad-SLI works on Episode 1, just regular HL2.

Ummm, is it me or does that image scream BS....Check out the PCIe slots, you can see two of them, yellow, but not the ones that are on the bridged cards...i.e. two cards are plugged in and two cards are standing upright just because of the bridging connectors?

???

I linked the Gigabyte board above.
As for the cards being physically unsupported, check the 7950GX2- that's how it works normally. Only the top card is plugged in, the other one gets all of its info through a bridge.

It's the same board. The yellow in the first picture is not a PCIe slot, it's the SATA connectors- you can't see any of the slots in the super-populated board. :)

Weazmeister said:
That's all nice and good, nowever the picture above is NOT that board :) Check the yellow PCIe slots, as I pointed out earlier vs the "teal" slots on the QuadRoyal.

Yes it IS that board. The Blue SLI connectors are from gigabyte, the PCB is blue (hint: gigabyte) and thats a stock intel cooler being used, you can see half of it.

And too bad Octal-SLI doesnt work. There are NO drivers for 8 GPU's in SLi and nvidia has no plans of supporting it either. Thats only useful for 16 monitors.

SLI.jpg

Yeah, yeah- I know, my MS Paint skills need work. :p

But incredibly cool nonetheless.

I was talking to a friend of mine when the 7950s came out about how long it would take someone to do this... I am actually suprised it took so long :D

I don't know much about the SLI on this board, but I wonder if it could run the cards as a dual SLI setup, that way you could have dual quad SLI... That way you could play games and still be supported by NVIDIA, but at the same time be able to do massive video processing on a quad monitor setup. Can you say "play BF2, FEAR, Q4 and DOOM 3 at once?" :eek:

synaps3 said:
I don't know much about the SLI on this board, but I wonder if it could run the cards as a dual SLI setup, that way you could have dual quad SLI... That way you could play games and still be supported by NVIDIA, but at the same time be able to do massive video processing on a quad monitor setup. Can you say "play BF2, FEAR, Q4 and DOOM 3 at once?" :eek:
mavalpha said:
Also makes me wonder if two sets of SLI would work on it. As in, 7900GTX+7900GTX, and then another pair of 7900GTX+7900GTX, separately. Finally a way to run multiple monitors in SLI?
Isn't anyone reading the posts above them?
Also, check the date on Tom's review of the GA-8N. The board's been out for months, long before the 7950, or even the 7900GX2.

Ok... heres a question. How they hell did they fit all those cards. They have a maximum of 7 spots to work with, not 8. ALso, look at where the last video card is. It ends at the bottem of the board, it does not extend past it. Look at the gigabyte board now. The last PCIE slot is the last slot on the board. With a GX2 in there, the 2nd card would be past the edge of the board itself.

mentok1982 said:
In the pic in this thread the only PCI E slot you can see is the bottom one and it is black,
just like the bottom PCI E slot on the Gigabyte board.
The yellow on the very right hand side of the bottom card is a Sata port and it matches the
yellow Sata ports on the Gigabyte board.
Right above the yellow Sata port you can also see the white IDE port.
Actually, even the black bar you see isn't the PCIe slot- it's a floppy (or IDE?) connector. The cards hide each and every one of the PEG connectors.

Weazmeister said:
That's all nice and good, nowever the picture above is NOT that board :) Check the yellow PCIe slots, as I pointed out earlier vs the "teal" slots on the QuadRoyal.

In the pic in this thread the only PCI E slot you can see is the bottom one and it is black,
just like the bottom PCI E slot on the Gigabyte board.
The yellow on the very right hand side of the bottom card is a Sata port and it matches the
yellow Sata ports on the Gigabyte board.
Right above the yellow Sata port you can also see the white IDE port.

Viper87227 said:
Ok... heres a question. How they hell did they fit all those cards. They have a maximum of 7 spots to work with, not 8. ALso, look at where the last video card is. It ends at the bottem of the board, it does not extend past it. Look at the gigabyte board now. The last PCIE slot is the last slot on the board. With a GX2 in there, the 2nd card would be past the edge of the board itself.

The GX2 has one PCI E connection on it and two pcbs.
They need only 4 PCI E slots for 4 7950 GX2s.
The last GX2 probably is hanging a little bit below the bottom of the motherboard (the fan is),
maybe that is why it is not in a case.

mavalpha said:
Actually, even the black bar you see isn't the PCIe slot- it's a floppy (or IDE?) connector. The cards hide each and every one of the PEG connectors.

Woops my mistake.
I was going to say that you could not see any PCI E slots, but I looked harder and thought
that floppy connector was the black PCI E slot.

Hello, the image is not faked. The system was put together by Gorillakos@XS, and you can head over to his thread there for more pics etc.
The drivers do not work with Octal atm, however windows successfully recognizes all 8 cores.

oct9yc.jpg

Drexion said:
Hello, the image is not faked. The system was put together by Gorillakos@XS, and you can head over to his thread there for more pics etc.
The drivers do not work with Octal atm, however windows successfully recognizes all 8 cores.

Link to the thread?

I believe it. That Gigabyte board is real. It came out like a couple months ago. I dont think its sold anymore, or at least on Newegg. I totally forgot about that board until now!!

Lazy_Moron said:
I believe it. That Gigabyte board is real. It came out like a couple months ago. I dont think its sold anymore, or at least on Newegg. I totally forgot about that board until now!!

How weird, I made the post above your's after you made your post. I read your post before posting mine.

Overkill x 2. Anyone want to buy me one? ;) I'll take a Kentsfield or K8L compatible version when it's available. No immediate rush.

Some of the people @ XS have access to all sorts of illegal hacked drivers (which reportedly come from China), which unlock crazy capabilities (like Crossfire on a nforce board) and other sorts of wierd shit.
They dont ever release these drivers to the public, so if you see stuff like that over there don't think that you will be able to do so, and dont waste time asking 'how?' :p

Drexion said:
Some of the people @ XS have access to all sorts of illegal hacked drivers (which reportedly come from China), which unlock crazy capabilities (like Crossfire on a nforce board) and other sorts of wierd shit.
They dont ever release these drivers to the public, so if you see stuff like that over there don't think that you will be able to do so, and dont waste time asking 'how?' :p

He doesn't have drivers that will unlock it, he even states in his thread that it doesn't work.

Talk about major overkill...thats like dropping a nuke on an anthill. :eek: I wonder what current or near future game would even come close to stressing that setup? (assuming there is any kind of driver support)

Drexion said:

]http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/3262/oct9yc.jpg[/

That is never going to work!

There is no RAM in the DIMM slots!

Can we please just have a link to the god damned thread and not pictures? ;D

Back