You passed an undefined mode number

VeeDubbs

Limp Gawd
Hi All-

The title of my thread is the error that I'm getting when attempting to boot my SuSe Service Pack 2 server. The screenshot is below.

We are currently in the process of setting up new ESX 4 hosts and a brand new Datastore for our VMs. This errors has occured on both test VMs I've used when migrating them to different ESX hosts and a new datastore.

The VMs are fine and boot fine and are exactly as they were before, but this error is kind of annoying. I've Googled around but have been kind of confused on some of the responses. Since this is a VM I manage it via the vSphere client. From what I've read this is a monitor refresh rate, or something like that, issue?

Any help?

Thanks!

Shakes fist at SuSe/Novell... Temporarily remove the vga= parameter by pressing the space bar on the grub boot screen (one right after bios), edit the second line by using the arrow keys and then hit 'e'. Remove the vga parameter from the line and press 'b' to boot the system. Once you have booted the machine edit /boot/grub/grub.conf (file name may change based on distribution) and remove the vga parameter and save it. That will permanently write the changes.

Shakes fist at SuSe/Novell... Temporarily remove the vga= parameter by pressing the space bar on the grub boot screen (one right after bios), edit the second line by using the arrow keys and then hit 'e'. Remove the vga parameter from the line and press 'b' to boot the system. Once you have booted the machine edit /boot/grub/grub.conf (file name may change based on distribution) and remove the vga parameter and save it. That will permanently write the changes.

Thanks Danny!

That didn't quite work for me, but it led me in the right direction! Since I'm booting a VM it was way too quick for me to get into the grub menu and I didn't have grub.conf in /boot/grub. What I did do is go to Yast --> System --> Bootloader. From there I was able to make the VGA option empty. I've rebooted twice now and it works normal again!

THANKS!

Glad I at least pointed ya in the right direction. I'm a Red hat guy so I'm used to grub.conf hehe

Back