You method of cleaning a new radiator?

FireBean

Gawd
I am have a new radiator on the way and I want to know what other do to clean them out. I learned the hard way about not cleaning out a rad. Though, all the shiny shit swirling around kind of looked cool, until it took my pump out. Anyways, I know that you poor some boiling distilled water into the rad, let it sit, drain, repeat 4-6 times. Has anyone found a better method?

Alcohol water mix slosh it around a few times, then I take an air compressor and blow it out real hard.

Then I mix a light concentration of dish soap, very very light, and rinse it with that. Then rinse until it's 100% completely clean water.

Then I take air and blow it out again.

Should work quite well for you.

Take something that dissolves fats, like a kitchen cleaner. Put it in hot water (dissolute, not too high a concentration), fill the rad, close it and shake it a bit, then let it rest for 5mins. Rinse with water.
Repeat the thing with a polish agent that attacks copper/brass (or what your radiator is made of inside), but be very careful with the concentration. Less than 5mins! If possible, take out the o-rings so they don't get attacked.

Rinse and do the final rinse with distilled water. Then all the residue of manufacturing should be gone.

I lick it until it tastes ok.

Seriously tho the above suggestions should be fine. Personally I have very hard water where I live so I always use distilled even for cleaning purposes.

Hook it up to your faucet but don't put it on too high. Later you can rinse it with distilled water.

This reminds of an important question I do not remember seeing an answer for. Why don't the radiator manufacturers just clean out the things before sealing them up for shipment to retailers?!

How many people buying air coolers would settle for having to shave and polish individual fins and heat pipes in order to have it work properly? Yet radiators, which are a much more premium product, do not come from the factory ready to go!

This reminds of an important question I do not remember seeing an answer for. Why don't the radiator manufacturers just clean out the things before sealing them up for shipment to retailers?!

How many people buying air coolers would settle for having to shave and polish individual fins and heat pipes in order to have it work properly? Yet radiators, which are a much more premium product, do not come from the factory ready to go!

It would take too much time to do them by hand, and to have to invest in some equipment to do it, would be an added cost. They have to keep their profit margin above a certain level. IMHO, rads are expensive enough as it is.

Back