You know you've got it bad when...

OSUguy98

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - April 2006
...you walk through the cabinet/shelving department at Wal-Mart and you look at you ponder on each cabinet and shelf, wondering how best to ventilate, power, and wire as many dually boards as possible....

...you imagine a house with 2 boxen plugged into each available outlet and a power bill that makes the national debt seem small....

...the first thought in your head after the power flickers is "Dammit! gotta reboot the boxen"....

...you're *cough* enjoying *cough* your time with the misses and the first thought in your head after the power flickers is "Dammit! gotta reboot the boxen"....

...you wake up screaming "Must borg!!" at 3am....

...you dream about buying those quad server boards with the kid' college fund....

...you're not satisfied with your production and you take out a 2nd(3rd, 8th) mortgage to build more boxen....

Keep on Folding!!

...you build a few farms in your basement... (working on it, ok?)

...you have borged more computers than most people see in their lives...

...you get upset when your production drops below 1.5k ppd... (i know i am)

...you're willing to engage in discussion about moose reach-throughs and reach-arounds all for the sake of beating them damned aussies...

...the power company no longer sends you a bill, they send a nice personalized letter with instructions on taking out a mortgage every month so you can pay them...

...you start one of these threads...

...you post in one of these threads...

...you realize that you spend more time working on DC than anything else (like school, work, etc.)...

...you give your family multiple hour lectures on the benefits of folding and why they should shut up and leave the process alone...

...you start crying when you realize a complete computer has been sitting collecting dust for over a year...

...your homepage is your stats page...

...your signature is a dynamic code to show off your stats...

...when your stats page becomes included in your cache...

(all of the above happened to me)

When once again you break that promise to yourself not to post in one more “You know you’ve got it bad” threads :D

When you wake up everyday knowing that you'll laugh at least once that day at the subtle humor of BillR, and only someone who's got it bad would understand the joke.

pageian said:
When you wake up everyday knowing that you'll laugh at least once that day at the subtle humor of BillR, and only someone who's got it bad would understand the joke.
It's almost like a foriegn language.

...you don't have central heating. you just have a farm with ducts to heat your house...
...the power company can't get over your consumption...
....so the meter-person stops by..every week...

-- your house generates an EMP shockwave during power loss by the sheer number of UPSes installed in your main feed

-- uptime is life, downtime means suicide

-- you install wired/wireless net based cams to monitor physical access to your boxen

-- turbo prop planes remind you of home

-- Boeing uses your farm for aviation wind tunnel tests

You know you've got it bad when:

You build your GF a kickass A64 system, because you know all she does is use Word and Quicken and 99% of the CPU time will go to folding.

When you power a monitor on to check your boxen, and your UPS makes a gawd aweful beeping tone to let you know that it needs another brother or sister to power your folding boxen.

When you have more KVM's than actual KB/Mouse/Monitors

That you know the propper bootup sequence for your folding boxen that you don't kick the circuit breaker.

When you read the posts in the other forums and wonder if the posters are folding with their machines that are running wicked overclocks.

After being in your folding room for 10 minutes, you are sweating more than a Russian Whore in summer, even though you are running your AC unit at Max 24/7.

... When you realize it's 35 degrees outside and it's time to maybe start coming out of retirement because the house is getting cold without the DC machines being on...

...When you have dreams about being completely surrounded by computers folding.:D
...When you have nightmares about being completely surrounded by computers not folding.:eek:

You know when you have it bad when:

You are scavanging money to pay for more parts, and still looking for a job at the same time.

You are working on a mod box and get distracted to start another mob box using a defunct printer as the mod. looking at my printer mod and saying to myself, I just need one part to finish it, but you can't find that part anywhere.

Looking at my quad p3 xeon machine I am building and saying, I'm not putting down $900-$1,000 for 900mhz 2mb cache xeon processors, and I'll downgrade to a 550mhz 2mb cache instead.

Saying to myself, If I get anymore computers, I will invest in a outdoor generator to power them and the house.

Wishing every day to win the lottery one time to buy all the parts for my computers, buy up a quad 3.06ghz xeon box, a dual 64bit itanium machine, upgrade my 2001 prius to a 2005 and put the rest into my savings account.

Then to try to get relic past 100 cpu's with my boxen. Oops I must have said that too loud, I hope relic is not listening.
Oh btw, I will fold also with all this equipment once I somehow get there.

Scorpionjwp said:
Then to try to get relic past 100 cpu's with my boxen.
You know you have it bad when you are willing to fold under other folder's names... :D

You know when you have it bad:

When you know other people that fold under the relic user name.
But I'm not telling, I could point fingers but I won't, I not the only one that does it.

...When you have 6 computers folding in your room , even though all you have is a 20$ a week allowance.
...when you are googling 16+ port KVM's.
...when you have a top of the line system with a 2mb GFX card.

Ibanez3434 said:
...When you have 6 computers folding in your room , even though all you have is a 20$ a week allowance.
...when you are googling 16+ port KVM's.
Just tell your folks it's a tax write-off.
;)

AtomicMoose said:
Just tell your folks it's a tax write-off.
;)

Actually I think its ibanez3434 who is the tax write off ;)

Now I need to figure out how to get myself a $20.00 a week allowance. :rolleyes:

BillR said:
Actually I think its ibanez3434 who is the tax write off ;)

Now I need to figure out how to get myself a $20.00 a week allowance. :rolleyes:
I'm up to 50/wk! w00t!!!

When you build an addition on your house complete with a basement and its own central air system just to hold all your boxen. (you tell the wife its a storm shelter for her and the kid) ;)

T-3

When you keep trying to dig up dirt on the IT guys to blackmail them into borging a state office building for you.

Ibanez3434 said:

2MB? That's 1.5MB More than you need! :p

...when you're ebaying lots of 2-4GB hard drives and putting them in kick-ass machines with 512kb video cards and disabling the sound, the time in the corner, and pretty much anything else you can think of that uses even 1 cpu cycle.

When you find one of your boxen has died...

... and you find the PSU is toasted ...

... so you pull a second-hand PSU off the pile, test it by plugging in a 80-mil fan and jumping green-to-black on the ATX plug ....

... and it, too, is dead ...

... and you pull another, that 5 seconds after starting the test it emits a bright green flash from inside the case and dies ...

... shrug, pull the last spare off the shelf, repeat test, find it lives, but won't fit the $21 dollar case the boxen calls hovel ...

... duct-tape a shopvac hose in place to suck away Dremeled-off offending bits of case, install PSU and restore boxen to work.
--------------------

Anderu would appreciate the work, since this is the boxen's current status with UD:

SCREAMER 10/10/2004 09:32:47 2:219:09:43:30 419,905 1,876

Yep, that's 2 years, 219 days of continuous duty. That Deer PSU owed me nothing... :eek:

You know you've got it bad when- you make a " You know you've got it bad when " thread

:D

Buckus said:
2MB? That's 1.5MB More than you need! :p

...when you're ebaying lots of 2-4GB hard drives and putting them in kick-ass machines with 512kb video cards and disabling the sound, the time in the corner, and pretty much anything else you can think of that uses even 1 cpu cycle.

Why are you running windows, then? Linux!

...you create an operating system with the sole intent of folding! :p

You know you've got it bad when....
....there's no difference between your "User CP" and the DC Forum

...you try to convince friends and family to upgrade to newer computers, just so that you can fold on them, and hopefully keep the old one and fold on that too.

...poker and computers suddenly have alot in common.

...instead of "its nice to hear from you", your parents now say "yeah, theyre all running" when you call them.

...you're surprised and confused when someone says they have vegetables in their farm.

Bodega said:
...instead of "its nice to hear from you", your parents now say "yeah, theyre all running" when you call them.

Yup, last night I didn't stop at home, I just went straight to my girlfriend's house... I called my parents around 7:30 to say where I was.... and the first words out of her mouth were "the computers were down when I got home...... yours still is".... so I spent 5 min walking my mom through the startup proceedure for my box... of course answering the "what's this do?" every 2 sec.... I got home last night and checked the log.... I lost 10+ hrs of folding time on the P4 in my sig...... *sigh* time to find some UPS's..........

Keep on Folding!!

... even with 4 window a/c units, you still have to stop folding for the summer. *i know, i know, but it kept over heating my servers*

... You have been planning for the winter, plans also include removal of the glass and replacing with screen.

... have the parts for a dual p3 800, yet the motherboard is still out for repairs, and it drives you nuts.

... even your 'nix based router folds, and for that reason, you have a 1.2ghz cpu in it.

.... All your motivation on learning linux, including downloaded 18 different distros of Linux, burned over 50 ISO and installing on countless setups. Are just to find one you can figure out how to config as a network boot server.

.... The router thing is just a bonus. Sometime you wish it use less CPU cycle.

.... You almost picked the P4 3.0 over a 19" LCD when someone offers one of those two to you.

.... Sometime you wish folding doesn't need internet. So it works on your Palm.

.... Your electric bill in the winter and in the summer is exactly the same, but you are way up north.

And last from me...

..... One of your network service failed, and all you can think of is how much CPU cycle it might save you.

ID01 said:
.... Your electric bill in the winter and in the summer is exactly the same, but you are way up north.

Get it right.
.... Your electric bill in the winter is smaller than in the summer , but you are way up north.

Luck........... :D
u=Tigerbiten.gif

That's why I need to move up there. All you do is keep building Folding machines to heat the house. :)

Like the warmest room in the house doesn't have a heater in it, and with the bare hardwood floors is very comfortable in bare feet :D

no carpet, . . . . causes excessive dust in boxen.

AND I have lived here for 21 years and added AC this year to this room, the only room in the house to get it. the boxen were getting to hot.

And it's supposed to be a cold winter so I am getting more boxen for heat, yeah really that's what they are for. Honest :D :D

you got it bad when On your 2nd day folding you
-----Start folding on all your home rigs
-----Borg mom's ,dad's, brother's, and sister's rigs ( brother has a lappy ) :eek: poof!!!!!
-----Borg all the P4s at work ( 7 in all) and and Borg and Oc my partner's Duron 1.0ghz to 1.48
-----Start writing shell scripts for a linux control panel
-----Looking through all my computer junk and start building boxen ( 4 )
-----Start planning a farm

and this is only my 2nd day.

Back