You know.... I thought I wanted a 3080. But. If AMD comes through with stock...

Then again AMD wins even in raytracing if the game is developed with AMD in mind.
Is that a known fact yet (Dirt 5 seem to be the case but apparently it is not visible while gaming that it is on), if devil may cry ever add raytracing to the PC version it will be an other candidate to look at (Godfall maybe).

Do we have some example of raytracing running better with RDNA 2 on PC because the consoles was what developers had in mind

Is that a known fact yet (Dirt 5 seem to be the case but apparently it is not visible while gaming that it is on), if devil may cry ever add raytracing to the PC version it will be an other candidate to look at (Godfall maybe).

Do we have some example of raytracing running better with RDNA 2 on PC because the consoles was what developers had in mind
Let’s say somehow, magically, AMD got more FPS than Nvidia in raytrace for some future title. Best case, it’s 5 or 10 % faster. So let’s say Cyberpunk is running at 40 FPS with raytracing at 4k on Nvidia and 45 FPS with raytracing at 4k on AMD. Well that’s still pointless cause it’s not 60 FPS buttery smooth. But with Nvidia, you turn on DLSS, and voila it pops to 65 FPS at 4k with raytracing. Now it’s a night and day difference. So I say just pay the extra 50 bucks and have DLSS as an ace card. It’s totally worth it to me.

Let’s say somehow, magically, AMD got more FPS than Nvidia in raytrace for some future title. Best case, it’s 5 or 10 % faster. So let’s say Cyberpunk is running at 40 FPS with raytracing at 4k on Nvidia and 45 FPS with raytracing at 4k on AMD. Well that’s still pointless cause it’s not 60 FPS buttery smooth. But with Nvidia, you turn on DLSS, and voila it pops to 65 FPS at 4k with raytracing. Now it’s a night and day difference. So I say just pay the extra 50 bucks and have DLSS as an ace card. It’s totally worth it to me.
Oscar I couldn't agree more. I love AMD getting back in the race but they fell short at their price range. Now $499 for 6800 and $599 for the XT and this horse is in the race. Fidelity FX should have been ready launch day for 6800. But lack of hardware RT, tensor cores, and software support for their version of DLSS leaves Nvidia comfortable where they are. And with the 3080Ti looming over the 6900XT launch, sorry doesn't look good. And most twitter reports are saying the most inventory of the 6800 series in store was MC with 14. Most reporting 10 or less. RT does have an advantage as I tried out Fortnite with it. Ran past a reflective building and saw person behind me in reflection, turned and killed them. Without it, dead. I had no clue. Shouldn't have to sacrifice visuals for performance in this day and age. Miles Morales on PS5 looked better with RT on than off. Off its dull looking. If RDNA ages like Zen did, the 7000 series will be promising. AMD did not match Nvidia for a lower price.

Then again AMD wins even in raytracing if the game is developed with AMD in mind.

And we know what hardware next gen consoles are running on.

lol?

The games that it wins are still rendered primarily with rasterization. It gets absolutely demolished in anything that uses path tracing for more than shadows.

Oscar I couldn't agree more. I love AMD getting back in the race but they fell short at their price range. Now $499 for 6800 and $599 for the XT and this horse is in the race. Fidelity FX should have been ready launch day for 6800. But lack of hardware RT, tensor cores, and software support for their version of DLSS leaves Nvidia comfortable where they are. And with the 3080Ti looming over the 6900XT launch, sorry doesn't look good. And most twitter reports are saying the most inventory of the 6800 series in store was MC with 14. Most reporting 10 or less. RT does have an advantage as I tried out Fortnite with it. Ran past a reflective building and saw person behind me in reflection, turned and killed them. Without it, dead. I had no clue. Shouldn't have to sacrifice visuals for performance in this day and age. Miles Morales on PS5 looked better with RT on than off. Off its dull looking. If RDNA ages like Zen did, the 7000 series will be promising. AMD did not match Nvidia for a lower price.
I'm on a 3080 FE and a 9900k chip. I got 1080p monitors but I set everything at 4k Nvidia DSR. There are more times than not when I'm just sitting right below buttery 60 fps without DLSS turned on. Control, Metro Exodus, Tomb Raider. Talking like 40 to 55 fps at 4k. Then I turn on DLSS and it just gets me over that 60 fps hump with room to spare. I actually undervolt and underclock my 3080 now to 1800 mhz cause that's all I need to do 60 fps at 4k. It runs average 220 to 250 watts on load. DLSS is like some super magic trick. And the latest DLSS version is DLSS 2.1 . That implies there will be a DLSS 3.0 down the road. It will probably be perfected by then.

I was set on buying whatever I could actually purchase first: 6800XT or 3080. However, today's Cyberpunk PC requirements list with 3080 for 4K Ultra is steering me heavily toward the 3080 purchase for the max RT eyecandy.

I try to keep things in perspective: DLSS being available in so few games, and 6800XT seeming like such a strong offering. But the shortlist of DLSS titles has a way of seeming far bigger when it includes key games you really want to play.

If the prophesied DLSS 3.0 ever materializes and can really be applied universally to any title, that'll turn the industry upside down again.

Last edited:
I don't know what AMD AIB prices will be like but I feel like Canadian pricing is making this a harder decision than it needs to be. At least at the moment it seems like the 3080 is closer to $250 more expensive than the 6800XT.

Here's how I currently see things....

New games release, and you get something like this...

(Ultra Settings, No DLSS, Full Raytrace)
awkZxQycqvMRsxT7bTmL7i-1604-80.png

Then you wait a few weeks and Nvidia gives you a magic patch and you get this.....

call-of-duty-black-ops-cold-war-dlss-november-2020-3840x2160-performance.png

Now will it always be like this above? Maybe not, but better to have the option than not.

I think the better question is where is the stock? Kinda moot if unable to purchase either. Amd has magically found a way to be worse than nvidia at launch.

I think the better question is where is the stock? Kinda moot if unable to purchase either. Amd has magically found a way to be worse than nvidia at launch.
When nv and amd release their cards to the general public in June of 2021 we'll be able to enjoy the new hotness.

alz0g.jpg

Regardless of AMD being on top, finally both cards are at least released within a couple months of each other and are good.
Instead of 18 months and perform as well as the opposition mid tier.

Not sure that it matters much. Without a DLSS like scaling quality you'd have to sacrifice things too much for what the AMD cards can do.

Cyberpunk 2077 maybe first killer RT game. Too bad it does not initially support AMD but that maybe more AMD's fault in not working with CD Projekt Red since something like this takes a significant amount of time. Game supports a plethora of RT effects and will have DLSS 2.0:
  • Ray Traced Diffuse Illumination
  • Ray Traced Reflections
  • Ray Traced Ambient Occlusion
  • Ray Traced Shadows

At what the frame rates is the question, I am not to keen on less than 60fps performance unless it is a smooth 50+ and no major dips so to speak. GSync/FreeSync does work some magic there. Will AMD RNDA2 when the game supports actually be usable with all the RT effects on at a decent frame rate is the second question.

I am in no hurry, game will still be available 6 months and over a year from now all fixed hopefully and optimized.

Until RT is running smoothly at decent frames - I think we are still at the 'tech demo' stage.

A snarky way of saying - it will be the first thing people turn off in search of playable or competitive frames.

Honestly, this generation of cards is really just a green light for developers to start putting RT into the pipeline as a standard practice. The new engines are also going to be RT enabled (c.f. Unreal) out the door as opposed to needing AMD /NVidia teams to come help implement it at the various studios. Combine this with the consoles being RT capable - and RT will move from tech demo to core feature. We're just not there yet.

Be interested to see what happens in a year - if AMD really can pump out a refresh that's more than a mere tweak of the current capability.

Last edited:
60FPS is not buttery smooth, when you go past 75FPS it starts to be "buttery".

But if the GPU is working at 100%, it's going to feel laggy with added input lag. Not a good experience. The way I see it RT does not matter one bit in this generation still.

60FPS is not buttery smooth, when you go past 75FPS it starts to be "buttery".

But if the GPU is working at 100%, it's going to feel laggy with added input lag. Not a good experience. The way I see it RT does not matter one bit in this generation still.
PS5 and Xbox Series X locked at 60fps. Everyone says it’s buttery

Could be semantic, but well locked 60 FPS is quite different average 60 FPS and I imagine require something not too dissimilar to a 75 average fps to be achieved.

60 Fps is buttery when your use to only getting 30 fps in a lot of games on console. That's the reason I switch from console to pc. Fallout 3 played like shit on console, not that it didn't crash all the damn time on pc but it got figured out. I hope amd has a plan for ray tracing. The consoles have it and the 6800xt has to be without a doubt better than what's in the new consoles that they wont refresh for what 4 years

According to people AIB stock will be available this week or next and in volume numbers?

I have been rather apathetic this release so I dont believe any of it even if its absolutely true. This is because these cards will get insta-scalped as well.

And with FrgMstr's reveal, or at least informed opinion that nVidia was caught selling over 500K units to miners and a measely 100K units to the regular Joe, what is to say AMD doesn't pull the same shit?

And with @FrgMstr's reveal, or at least informed opinion that nVidia was caught selling over 500K units to miners and a measely 100K units to the regular Joe, what is to say AMD doesn't pull the same shit?
I would suggest to you that is not AMD's gameplan. 6800 cards are nerfed for high-end mining (about 60 hash). AMD is jumping through hoops to make sure gamer GPUs get to gamers. Selling to miners does nothing for its brand or mindshare. For AMD to move forward in the gaming market it knows it has to sell cards to gamers.

They next big hurdle that AMD is going to have to deal with is AIB custom card pricing. Since NV has left a gaping hole in the gamer card market, AIBs are going to be charging premiums for everything it can bring to market. AIBs are not happy with NV right now at all. NVIDIA has had a disastrous effect on their Q4 revenues. NV continues to be the 800lb gorilla that can't be pushed around and AMD surely wants to take that gorilla down a few weight classes. Right now, the first way it can start to chip away at that is get the AIBs every possible 6800 ASIC it can deliver. That is why AMD is shipping ASICs daily through Q4.

According to people AIB stock will be available this week or next and in volume numbers?

I have been rather apathetic this release so I dont believe any of it even if its absolutely true. This is because these cards will get insta-scalped as well.

And with FrgMstr's reveal, or at least informed opinion that nVidia was caught selling over 500K units to miners and a measely 100K units to the regular Joe, what is to say AMD doesn't pull the same shit?
Link? I'd like to see that post.

Also - I think' volume ' might be hopeful. OTOH merely having stock would be a good thing

At this point I’ll get whichever one comes in stock long enough for me to purchase it. I won’t be spending more than $700 for either a 3080 or 6800XT though which I know limits my options but so be it.

An industry insider managed to record a secret meeting between AMD and NVIDIA executives. Take a look, this is pretty damning:

Last edited:
Until RT is running smoothly at decent frames - I think we are still at the 'tech demo' stage.

A snarky way of saying - it will be the first thing people turn off in search of playable or competitive frames.

Honestly, this generation of cards is really just a green light for developers to start putting RT into the pipeline as a standard practice. The new engines are also going to be RT enabled (c.f. Unreal) out the door as opposed to needing AMD /NVidia teams to come help implement it at the various studios. Combine this with the consoles being RT capable - and RT will move from tech demo to core feature. We're just not there yet.

Be interested to see what happens in a year - if AMD really can pump out a refresh that's more than a mere tweak of the current capability.

I can barely tell the difference when RT is turned on except my frames take a nosedive. Totally useless technology in its current implementation IMO. I wouldn't touch it until it's ubiquitous like AA or AF where the performance hit doesn't tank 50%+ of my framerates for minimal IQ gain. I think it was a mistake by NVIDIA and AMD to even bother with RT at all, should have stuck with pure raster improvements. DLSS 2.0 on the other hand can be pretty great if done right but it needs far more games supporting it and with it being a proprietary technology, it will probably never get anywhere. AMD might have a better shot with Super Resolution because of RDNA 2 being in consoles but AMDs problem is they toss everything at the wall and hope something sticks and someone else does the work for them. I wish we had a 3rd player that just gave us tons of raster performance....Intel? LMAO!

Reactions: noko
like this
Well... as the OP, who was hopeful to see 'cards in stock'... I guess the answer is

Nope

So - now its a race to the store: whoever gets cards in stock gets sales. Such a shitty time to be a consumer in need / want of an upgrade.

DLSS 2.0 on the other hand can be pretty great if done right but it needs far more games supporting it and with it being a proprietary technology, it will probably never get anywhere. AMD might have a better shot with Super Resolution because of RDNA 2 being in consoles
One place where DLSS 2.0 could be the most useful is on the next Nvidia console, if the Switch start using it, a place where sacrificing some quality in exchange of battery life or make something possible with the relative limited power scenario's could make a lot of sense and a lot of games would be made knowing that they would access to it 100% of time and can just assume that it is there.

Well... as the OP, who was hopeful to see 'cards in stock'... I guess the answer is

Nope

So - now its a race to the store: whoever gets cards in stock gets sales. Such a shitty time to be a consumer in need / want of an upgrade.
Even old cards are tough to find. Been looking for some 1660 ti's and which a few are available it's not many.

Was never going to be a launch buyer, but seeing lack of stock, $800 AIB cards, etc. I've lost any and all excitement for this new gen of cards.

Will check back in March to see if anything has normalized (price too). Not holding my breath.

I can barely tell the difference when RT is turned on except my frames take a nosedive. Totally useless technology in its current implementation IMO. I wouldn't touch it until it's ubiquitous like AA or AF where the performance hit doesn't tank 50%+ of my framerates for minimal IQ gain. I think it was a mistake by NVIDIA and AMD to even bother with RT at all, should have stuck with pure raster improvements. DLSS 2.0 on the other hand can be pretty great if done right but it needs far more games supporting it and with it being a proprietary technology, it will probably never get anywhere. AMD might have a better shot with Super Resolution because of RDNA 2 being in consoles but AMDs problem is they toss everything at the wall and hope something sticks and someone else does the work for them. I wish we had a 3rd player that just gave us tons of raster performance....Intel? LMAO!

I played Control with RT and it was an amazing improvement. Nothing else so far but both dlss 2 and ray tracing gave me an incredible 4k experience.

I bought a 2070 super xc ultra from BestBuy the day the 3080 went on sale. Now you can't even find them at the store anymore. Even old cards are scarce now. Crazy shit.

I thought I wanted a 3080... Then a 6800XT. Now that they're not in stock. I've come to the realization that I do really fuckin care anymore

Back