You know.... I thought I wanted a 3080. But. If AMD comes through with stock...

DarkSideA8

Gawd
I'm going Team Red.

Two weeks to go. I've hit retailer's sites every day since the 'release' and tried to buy Team Green's card. There's a lot to like about their card, and software suite. I'm generally a Nvidia fan. They got me all hyped with the potential.

But if Team Red shows up on Release with stock -- and it doesn't get snatched by bots and scalpers - I'm getting one.

How's that for 'Mindshare'.

What a debacle.

f900268df5b8b61a2546a83a95fcb208.jpg

Yup, that's basically how it's gonna be.

Nvidia is like that rich kid who acts like a big shot because they've got nice EVERYTHING.

Well, yeah, it IS nice. That's the truth.
Even if he acts like an asshole, he'd still buy us drinks sometimes or let us use his cool stuff, you know?
So it was kinda fun to hang around him.

Until one day he doesn't have anything. Suddenly, where are his friends and followers?
He's still just as much an asshole. Only now he's out of stock and has no little trinkets to offer.

Who would hang around him, when the hard working nerd who's been bullied their entire life finally begins to prove their worth?

Her forehead sweaty from the calculations, her fingers smudged with pen from working all night, the adorable nerd looks up, pushes her glasses into place, and realizes there's a huge crowd around her, rooting for her.

She's always been awkward, but a kind person. She's always been a Linux fan, she's always offered to help anyone who needed it, but suddenly, she's the rich kid: But with a good heart.

And that's why I'll buy AMD, even if Nvidia DOES go back into stock.

Nerds rule. Sure, anyone can BUY cool tech stuff and show it off.
But nerds have DEDICATION.

And yes, this entire post is beyond ridiculous.

I wouldn't count on being able to easily get the new AMD cards on launch. I suspect AMD is going to have loads more stock than nVidia but there's no way the stock AMD will bring to the table will be anywhere near enough to satisfy the normal AMD demand plus the demand nVidia left on the table.

Stock is going to disappear fast but it might last minutes instead of seconds, at least online. Brick and mortar stores will probably have a good bit of stock as well. It's also likely there will be higher amounts of stock coming in regularly after the initial release so chances of getting a card sooner will still be much better than nVidia.

I'm also strongly considering going with a 6800XT and I'm in a somewhat unique predicament. I sold my launch-day 3080 (to a co-worker and at cost) since I was in the middle of a move and crunch-time at work i.e. no time to play. I have another 3080 preorder that will be arriving literally, it looks on or around Nov 18.

All things considered, 6800XT and 3080 looks like they will be neck and neck in rasterization. And while feature support will be better on 3080 e.g. RT, DLSS while 6800XT will have more VRAM -- neither points really make a difference for my use. Should I kill my 3080 preorder and try for a 6800XT? Is there some golden feature/spec on the 6800XT that makes it better than the 3080? What to do, what to do?

Last edited:
I'm looking at some 3080 prices, PowerColor is selling one extreme OC version for over $1100. This is MSRP. Yeah, good luck selling that one I say.

I've been trying to get a 3080 since release day. But I've got a family, I work 60 hours a week, and I have other hobbies than video games. I can't sit around on discord servers for the five second window to buy one. If I can buy an amd card, 6800xt or 6900xt by logging in somewhere and giving them money I will.

At this point I'm assuming I won't be able to.

It's looking like the RX 6000 cards are going to be awesome... BUT, I really hope AMD has ironed out their driver issues from the RX 5000 series.

The drivers for the RTX 3000 cards are solid. Something to consider.

I only need a GPU for my new build. Its going to be really frustrating to not be able to get one when the 6800xt sells out in less than 5 minutes.

The drivers... Urghhh the drivers are what are holding me back. Every time I get an AMD/ATI card it's always something. How have they been recently?

Reactions: Pasic
like this
I have a EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 ULTRA GAMING, 10G-P5-3885-KR, 10GB GDDR6X, iCX3 Cooling, ARGB LED, Metal Backplate coming Monday. I'm thinkin I will refuse it and get the Amd 6900XT. Fuck it. My gut is leading me that way.

Sold my RTX 3080. Secured a Ryzen 5900X.

All in on the 6800XT or 6900XT.

Whichever one I can get my grubby mitts on first. Will be my first all AMD system. Looking forward to seeing the entire system work together in new ways (SAM).

Last edited:
The drivers... Urghhh the drivers are what are holding me back. Every time I get an AMD/ATI card it's always something. How have they been recently?

Man, they both have driver problems. I get display driver errors in Civ VI all the time with my GTX 1070 Ti despite them supposedly being programmed by God himself. Most people who complain about AMD/ATI drivers haven’t had an AMD/ATI card since the Rage 128. My personal driver experiences with AMD/ATI cards have been similar as with my Nvidia cards since the Catalyst came out.

It's looking like the RX 6000 cards are going to be awesome... BUT, I really hope AMD has ironed out their driver issues from the RX 5000 series.

This gives me flashbacks to the 5090 days. Jesus that card has a steaming pile of driver issues.

I dunno seeing alot of RTX 3000 crashing threads around... not to mention the cap issue and space heater power draw, nvidia is short in alot of areas this round, and not just their stock :D

Last edited:
Kind of exciting seeing a legit competition in the GPU sector. I wonder if we'll see folks that purchased the 3000 series and recently the 5000 series CPU, dump their 3000 series in favor of all AMD setup.

Kind of exciting seeing a legit competition in the GPU sector. I wonder if we'll see folks that purchased the 3000 series and recently the 5000 series CPU, dump their 3000 series in favor of all AMD setup.

Probably, I'll take a 3090 for $999 not a penny more :hilarious:

Reactions: noko
like this
I literally was about to cancel my order as I was over the wait and the price difference between amd and nvidia pays for a lot of cloud hours for cuda.

They shipped it just as it was the next thing on Friday’s to do list.

I'm with OP on this one. If it's available I'll get a 6800XT on launch assuming the reviews are good.

I'm thinking about going Red too though I'm a little worried about Linux drivers. I haven't owned a Radeon in years but I keep getting stuck with them at work somehow and end up with a glitchy desktop. I don't need 3D at all, just want it to let me do my programming stuff without getting in the way. Glitchy on day 1 is ok as long as it basically works, but if it's going to stay that way like the old Radeon I've got in my Linux box at work I don't want it. I'd be ok with either of the top two models if I can actually get one.

AMD already revealed their hand and gave scalpers the go-ahead. It's all going to get snatched up and resold, just as fast as Ampere cards. You can count on it.

I don't understand the urgency to get a new card so quickly. Is the card you currently have preventing you from playing games? I'm waiting for a 3080 myself and when it comes in stock then I'll get it. I just don't understand the extreme urgency to get these new cards.
I have no GPU because it's a brand new build.

I don't even have a PC right now.

I don't understand the urgency to get a new card so quickly. Is the card you currently have preventing you from playing games? I'm waiting for a 3080 myself and when it comes in stock then I'll get it. I just don't understand the extreme urgency to get these new cards.
A lot of people have displays that their cards cannot fully take advantage of. It's helpful to people with 1440P + 144Hz displays but primarily important for people who game at 4k. I have an LG CX 77" which requires me having a new card just to be able to do G-Sync, or to properly do 4k 120Hz without chroma sub-sampling.

The thing is, will there ever be any available? Or will this just carry onto the 4-series and never end?

I mean it seems like the demand is unbelievable. Like, there will never be any in stock.

I think release over release, the stock has gotten better and better. I have seen the community grow so much since the old celeron 300a days oc rush. This year marked a year where the general community has it in them to afford and build custom pc along with pent up demand due to amd lack of high end in past 3 gen, nvidia arrogance at pricing last gen and a global pandemic which has seen record people with nothing but gaming as a hobby fallback.

Add in the last 2 console gen touting pc part usage and terms which further educated the general public and the internet of knowledge to look up and do everything, we see these all become a convergence of factors which leads us to this fact today.

There are just more of us than ever.

I have cars as my hobby too and I meet more people tha know zilch about camaros and corvettes, driving on track and generally all the things I find essential to owning a high hp beast

Last edited:
The thing is, will there ever be any available? Or will this just carry onto the 4-series and never end?

I mean it seems like the demand is unbelievable. Like, there will never be any in stock.
If that's the case I will gladly stay a generation behind and buy them used at half the price. Definitely not chasing them around to throw my money at them. :yuck:

They seriously need to make scalping illegal. Don't give me that free market bullshit. It's parasitic and scalping concert tickets is already illegal.
The problem with that is that 90% of the economy is "scalping"; buying something you have a price advantage on, marking it up and reselling it.

It'd be tough to legally define, much less enforce laws against this kind of behavior. The difference between supply and demand drives price. It is the way of the world.

I'm thinking about going Red too though I'm a little worried about Linux drivers. I haven't owned a Radeon in years but I keep getting stuck with them at work somehow and end up with a glitchy desktop. I don't need 3D at all, just want it to let me do my programming stuff without getting in the way. Glitchy on day 1 is ok as long as it basically works, but if it's going to stay that way like the old Radeon I've got in my Linux box at work I don't want it. I'd be ok with either of the top two models if I can actually get one.
Worried about Linux drivers?? This is the one place AMD is leaps and bounds better than nvidia. Their windows drivers are typically not as good, but their Linux stuff is solid, much better than nvidia. If you run Linux AMD is a no brainier honestly. Heck, Intel drivers are much better than nvidia as well in Linux. If I could stand Linux as a desktop I would only run AMD (unless you needed a specific feature).

Back