You Have to Register Your Drones With The FAA

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
President Trump signed the Defense Authorization Act yesterday and it included an interesting little tidbit for drone owners that now requires registration of all drones with the FAA. Now all we can do is wait and see how much this is going to cost and how much paperwork is required. Also, does this start with a simple registration fee and then grow into a licensing fee every year? I sure as heck hope not.

The rule — which had not been formally finalized — requires model aircraft owners to provide their name, email address and physical address; pay a $5 registration fee; and display a unique drone ID number at all times. Those who fail to comply could face civil and criminal penalties.

In December 2015, the FAA issued an interim rule requiring drone hobbyists to register their recreational aircraft with the agency.

I didn't realize this ever went away. It isn't really a big deal. Idiot drone owners will still fly without doing this, without carrying their FAA registration card, and without checking the legality of the area they are flying beforehand.

You have an aircraft you register an aircraft. This is really just including a new category of aircraft in the registration process. Looks like a pretty low burden to me.

Right but what I'm wondering is if there is a size class limitation. I've seen some really small 'Drones' and would question where a registration number would be legible. (Oh I had it laser engraved into the props.. here see.)

I am old and slow, and sometimes I blink and miss stuff.

Does this mean I will have to register my flying SR-71 model?

I am old and slow, and sometimes I blink and miss stuff.

Does this mean I will have to register my flying SR-71 model?

yep.

As for location and size restrictions, there used to be a weight that if you were under you didn't need to register. It was a very low weight, but something like a DJI spark was probably under it. As for placement, unless you have one of those drones that are smaller than a dollar bill, the battery or inside the battery compartment is usually good. When I had my DJI, I just stuck a sticker on the belly.

Right but what I'm wondering is if there is a size class limitation. I've seen some really small 'Drones' and would question where a registration number would be legible. (Oh I had it laser engraved into the props.. here see.)

Caveat: I havent looked up all the regs yet however I do know that:

If, due to the configuration of an aircraft, it is impossible for a person to mark it in accordance with FAR 45.21 and 45.23 through 45.33 then you can apply for an alternative marking mechanism.

Though TBH unless this removes Section 336 I dont think this would affect the drone type you are referring to.

From the FAA drone website:

Option #1. Fly in accordance with the Special Rule for Model Aircraft (Public Law 112-95 Section 336). Under this rule, operators must:

1. Fly for hobby or recreational purposes only
  2. Follow a community-based set of safety guidelines
  3. Fly the UAS within visual line-of-sight
  4. Give way to manned aircraft
  5. Provide prior notification to the airport and air traffic control tower, if one is present, when flying within 5 miles of an airport
  6. Fly UAS that weigh no more than 55 lbs. unless certified by a community-based organization
Option #2. Fly under the FAA's Small UAS Rule (14 CFR part 107). Under this rule, operators must:

1. Register their UAS with the FAA as a "non-modeler"
  2. Obtain an FAA Remote Pilot Certificate
  3. Follow the operational requirements (PDF) of Part 107

I will have to find the text of what he signed to see how it changes the above...

Honestly seems pretty reasonable. If some guy tries to fly a drone into a airplane jet engine while it's taking off or drop some explosives into a stadium, I'd like to know who they are. If they succeed obviously the evidence is gone like many other acts of terrorism but if the guy fails, I would like for our gov to track the guy down.

Honestly seems pretty reasonable. If some guy tries to fly a drone into a airplane jet engine while it's taking off or drop some explosives into a stadium, I'd like to know who they are. If they succeed obviously the evidence is gone like many other acts of terrorism but if the guy fails, I would like for our gov to track the guy down.

Because of course if they are going to blow up an airplane the will be using clearly marked drones that show them as the owner? Lets say they account for failure in the plan... the drone would have fake markings pointing to someone else.

Last year the FAA put in place rules that Drone Operators needed to register any drone over 250 (a little over a half a pound) grams. It was challenged and overturned in court because the FAA overstepped its limits. This has been expected for a while now.

The DJI Spark, which is a pretty small drone is 300 grams and requires registration. A lot of the small toy drones fall below the 250 gram mark, but most anything you would fly outside would be over the minimum.

Personally, I don't think it's necessary, but it is what it is.

Wait a minute. Is Option #1 still applicable? If so, then my SR-71 is exempt.

I don't get any of this. Growing up people flew models for fun and it was no big deal. Sometimes they were huge compared to drones. Where a drone can literally be one foot squared these things would have 5 foot wingspans and actually fly like a missile instead of hovering in place. I still consider it to be mostly a toy most of the time used to get cool views in parks and forests used within line of sight.

It feels like this is one of those catch-all laws where most people will claim ignorance and just play with the drones as toys regardless of FAA rules. A regular person doesn't even know about any of these rules or regulations and when they pick these things up at a Walmart they just think it's a cool toy using it once or twice and then never again. Also what about people vacationing? Tons of tourists bring drones on vacation and never bother to register.

99% of these people never have a problem. Do we really need all these regulations?

mini-drone.jpg

Yup. And a felon will make sure all his weapons are legal and registered, too.

Tip: if someone is going to fly a drone into an airplane or make it into an explosive, they aren't going to write their name on it or register it. It's like leaving your wallet at the scene of a crime. It's just not going to happen. Unless you're the dumbest criminal (which there is even a show about, so it's not out of the ordinary!).

They may not register it, but they might post a picture of them flying it on Facebook. :)
I don't think a drone could take down a plane unless it gets lucky. As for as packed full of explosive unless its a big drone it cant have that much in it and still take off. Don't kid yourself this is a control not a safety thing.

So this: https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/fly_for_fun/
goes out the window? specifically:
You don't need permission from the FAA to fly your UAS under the Special Rule for Model Aircraft, but you must always fly safely. You may elect to register your UAS to help in the recovery of lost equipment.

and

Registration costs $5 and is valid for 3 years. If you are flying under the Special Rule for Model Aircraft and you wish to register voluntarily, you should register as a "modeler." If you are flying under part 107, Section 333, part 91, a public COA, or for non-recreational purposes in general, you should register as a "non-modeler."

I think my biggest drone of the 3 or so I own is 25 grams (as weighed on a scale). Smallest is 14g.

14g is 1/2 oz. 25 grams is still less than 1oz.

I ONLY fly indoors as they are so light they can't really be controlled in any sort of wind.

Is registration still required for indoor only flight?? I have 2 of the one comixbooks pictured above and 1 UDI (heaviest one)

Wait a minute. Is Option #1 still applicable? If so, then my SR-71 is exempt.

I need to see what he signed and when it goes into effect. I have not had a chance to review the actual text of the relevant order. As of today option #1 is still applicable per my local FSDO because option 1 is codified into law.

I lived in a town where you couldn't have missiles. They considered a model rocket a missile. A few people got in trouble for launching missiles in town... We were thinking some crazy shit was going on. Nope, just cheap little model rockets launched safely.

People that don't understand how they work and want to control it. Just like most other politicians.

I don't think a drone could take down a plane unless it gets lucky. As for as packed full of explosive unless its a big drone it cant have that much in it and still take off. Don't kid yourself this is a control not a safety thing.

Absolutely. I've been working with "industrial" drones for agriculture and the number and weight of the batteries you need just to keep the damn thing afloat means you either sacrifice payload or flying time. Good luck trying to catch up to a plane. Govt and private sector have crossed the line long ago about taking/monitoring/recording far too much data from average law abiding citizens. Now if this applied specifically to the commercial sector, I could see it being useful and necessary. But hobbyists? come on.

I need to see what he signed and when it goes into effect. I have not had a chance to review the actual text of the relevant order. As of today option #1 is still applicable per my local FSDO because option 1 is codified into law.

Ok so here is the text (subpart D of section 1092) https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th...10/text#toc-H9189F286F6AA4FB3A029CFEBBF6E709B

(d) Restoration of rules for registration and marking of unmanned aircraft.—The rules adopted by the Administrator of the Federal Aviation Administration in the matter of registration and marking requirements for small unmanned aircraft (FAA-2015-7396; published on December 16, 2015) that were vacated by the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit in Taylor v. Huerta (No. 15-1495; decided on May 19, 2017) shall be restored to effect on the date of enactment of this Act.

This is the relevant FAA rule: https://www.faa.gov/news/updates/media/20151213_IFR.pdf

It looks like they will require you to display a registration number under the proposed rule. So looking up the FAR that applies to registration and markings:

§ 48.200 General.
(a) No person may operate a small unmanned aircraft registered in accordance with this part unless the aircraft displays a unique identifier in accordance with the requirements of § 48.205 of this subpart.

(b) A unique identifier is one of the following:

(1) The registration number issued to an individual or the registration number issued to the aircraft by the Registry upon completion of the registration process provided by this part; or

(2) If authorized by the Administrator and provided with the application for Certificate of Aircraft Registration under § 48.100 of this part, the small unmanned aircraft serial number.

§ 48.205 Display and location of unique identifier.
(a) The unique identifier must be maintained in a condition that is legible.

(b) The unique identifier must be affixed to the small unmanned aircraft by any means necessary to ensure that it will remain affixed for the duration of each operation.

(c) The unique identifier must be readily accessible and visible upon inspection of the small unmanned aircraft. A unique identifier enclosed in a compartment is readily accessible if it can be accessed without the use of any tool.

So based on the above you either have to put the registration # somewhere on the aircraft (a sticker on the battery would satisfy $48.205(c)) or if you have authorization the devices serial number is sufficient.

Yes, because they'll use a drone registered in their own name, the same way guns are always registered to the perps! Besides I doubt that any trace of the registration number will survive after blowing up the drone.

Unless you're the dumbest criminal (which there is even a show about, so it's not out of the ordinary!).

This pretty much or at least deterring people who already registered their drone.

Besides I doubt that any trace of the registration number will survive after blowing up the drone.

You do realize i said " If they succeed obviously the evidence is gone"....

The other thing to keep in mind, if you look at some of the acts of terror where they drive a truck into a crowd of people, they rented the trucks with their own ID's and credit cards. Terrorists and criminals aren't the smartest people in the world, if they were, they wouldn't be terrorists and criminals. Aside from that, if someone registers a drone, it's stolen and used in a crime, at least it gives the authorities a starting point on where to investigate.

I'm completely realistic and understand that if someone wanted to do something, they could drive to best buy, buy a drone cash, and then commit a crime without registering it. I completely understand that can/probably will happen.

You do realize i said " If they succeed obviously the evidence is gone"....
No I didn't, sorry. But the point remains: they won't be using a drone registered in their own name. Most likely it won't be registered at all.

I think drone registration is reasonable in some circumstances, but not most personal circumstances.

For example. Amazon's drones, for delivery, I think it would be reasonable to have those be registered. Consider that they are probably flying distances well beyond visible line of site.

But for examples where a drone is being used for aerial footage, at low altitudes relative to local ground, and within visible line of sight. I don't think registration should be required here. Unless you wanted to do such near an airport.

Caveat: I havent looked up all the regs yet however I do know that:

If, due to the configuration of an aircraft, it is impossible for a person to mark it in accordance with FAR 45.21 and 45.23 through 45.33 then you can apply for an alternative marking mechanism.

Though TBH unless this removes Section 336 I dont think this would affect the drone type you are referring to.

From the FAA drone website:

Option #1. Fly in accordance with the Special Rule for Model Aircraft (Public Law 112-95 Section 336). Under this rule, operators must:

1. Fly for hobby or recreational purposes only
  2. Follow a community-based set of safety guidelines
  3. Fly the UAS within visual line-of-sight
  4. Give way to manned aircraft
  5. Provide prior notification to the airport and air traffic control tower, if one is present, when flying within 5 miles of an airport
  6. Fly UAS that weigh no more than 55 lbs. unless certified by a community-based organization
Option #2. Fly under the FAA's Small UAS Rule (14 CFR part 107). Under this rule, operators must:

1. Register their UAS with the FAA as a "non-modeler"
  2. Obtain an FAA Remote Pilot Certificate
  3. Follow the operational requirements (PDF) of Part 107

I will have to find the text of what he signed to see how it changes the above...

Exactly, I have been trying to find the actual document and read for myself instead of trusting these blow-hard fake news assholes. When they neglect to link to any source at all, I get a little curious and dig for myself.

I think this might be it, but I am not positive that it is the final signed version of the document.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/2810/text

EDIT: I take it back, this is the full text as signed into law by Pres Trump.

OK, here is the text from the bill;

SEC. 1092. COLLABORATION BETWEEN FEDERAL AVIATION ADMINISTRATION AND DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE ON UNMANNED AIRCRAFT SYSTEMS..............................

(d) RESTORATION OF RULES FOR REGISTRATION AND MARKING OF UNMANNED AIRCRAFT.
—The rules adopted by the Administrator of the Federal Aviation Administration in the matter of registration and marking requirements for small unmanned aircraft (FAA-2015-7396; published on December 16, 2015) that were vacated by the
United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit in Taylor v. Huerta (No. 15-1495; decided on May 19, 2017) shall be restored to effect on the date of enactment of this Act

So we still have to dig up the old text from FAA-2015-7396; published on December 16, 2015
https://www.faa.gov/news/updates/media/20151213_IFR.pdf

So a few very important definitions;

The definition of “model aircraft” is identical to the definition provided in section 336(c) of Public Law 112-95
I can look this up too if someone wants.

1. Unmanned Aircraft In the sUAS Operation and Certification NPRM, the FAA proposed to define “unmanned aircraft” as “an aircraft operated without the possibility of direct human intervention from within or on the aircraft.”

2. Small Unmanned Aircraft In the sUAS Operation and Certification NPRM, the FAA proposed to define “small unmanned aircraft” as “an unmanned aircraft weighing less than 55 pounds including everything that is on board the aircraft.”

3. Small Unmanned Aircraft System (small UAS) Finally, the sUAS Operation and Certification NPRM proposed a definition of “small unmanned aircraft system (small UAS)” as “a small unmanned aircraft and its associated elements (including communication links and the components that control the small unmanned aircraft) that are required for the safe and efficient operation of the small unmanned aircraft in the national airspace system.”

Last edited:
I don't think it's just drones this time:

https://registermyuas.faa.gov/

Do I need to register my Unmanned Aircraft?
You need to register your aircraft if it weighs between 0.55 lbs.(250 grams) and up to 55 lbs. (25 kg).

That page has animated pictures of a fixed wing airplane and a helicopter, not just a drone.

From the AMA site:

Q: Do only drones and multirotor operators need to register?
A: No. Anyone who flies a model that is over 0.55 lbs (or 250 grams) and uses a ground-control system with a communications link, such as an RC transmitter, is required to register. If you exclusively fly models under .55 pounds, indoors, CL, or FF - you do not need to register.

Any model that's over .55lbs and not indoor, freeflight, or control line has to be registered if it's radio controlled.

Seems like this is a bit more inclusive than the last go around, and the Special Rule 336 or whatever it was seems to no longer be the loophole for normal model aviation that it once was. Either that, or the FAA and AMA websites are both wrong.

You need to register your aircraft if it weighs between 0.55 lbs.(250 grams) and up to 55 lbs. (25 kg).

That page has animated pictures of a fixed wing airplane and a helicopter, not just a drone.

From the AMA site:

A: No. Anyone who flies a model that is over 0.55 lbs (or 250 grams) and uses a ground-control system with a communications link, such as an RC transmitter, is required to register. If you exclusively fly models under .55 pounds, indoors, CL, or FF - you do not need to register.

Any model that's over .55lbs and not indoor, freeflight, or control line has to be registered if it's radio controlled.

Seems like this is a bit more inclusive than the last go around, and the Special Rule 336 or whatever it was seems to no longer be the loophole for normal model aviation that it once was. Either that, or the FAA and AMA websites are both wrong.
So... do those big kites qualify?
makeakite.jpg

The strings can be considered a ground-control system... why not?

I don't get any of this. Growing up people flew models for fun and it was no big deal. Sometimes they were huge compared to drones. Where a drone can literally be one foot squared these things would have 5 foot wingspans and actually fly like a missile instead of hovering in place. I still consider it to be mostly a toy most of the time used to get cool views in parks and forests used within line of sight.

It feels like this is one of those catch-all laws where most people will claim ignorance and just play with the drones as toys regardless of FAA rules. A regular person doesn't even know about any of these rules or regulations and when they pick these things up at a Walmart they just think it's a cool toy using it once or twice and then never again. Also what about people vacationing? Tons of tourists bring drones on vacation and never bother to register.

99% of these people never have a problem. Do we really need all these regulations?

It's caused by a few factors....

1. People, in general, hear the word drone, and think of these stealthy flying cameras that are invading their privacy, or large dangerous drones that are going to fall on their heads. There is a lot of FUD out there about drones, and people tend to overreact.

2. There are a LOT more drones out there than model airplanes. DJI is reported to be selling millions of them. You are much more likely to know someone that owns a drone vs a model airplane.

3. Drones are a lot easier to fly and therefor more accessible to people. Most model aircraft take a much larger time investment to fly and require some serious skills. This isn't the case with most drones, so you have a lot of people just buying one and immediately fly them where they shouldn't.

I think drone registration is reasonable in some circumstances, but not most personal circumstances.

For example. Amazon's drones, for delivery, I think it would be reasonable to have those be registered. Consider that they are probably flying distances well beyond visible line of site.

But for examples where a drone is being used for aerial footage, at low altitudes relative to local ground, and within visible line of sight. I don't think registration should be required here. Unless you wanted to do such near an airport.
This is all about commercial use. The rule that was struck down didn't affect drones used in that way. If you wanted to do anything for money, you had to register the drone, get a "N" number and meet the appropriate pilot licensing requirements. They also forced any non commercial drone over 5.5 pounds to register. They didn't need the N Number or a license. This last part was what was overturned in courts and what this new law puts in place.

I think my biggest drone of the 3 or so I own is 25 grams (as weighed on a scale). Smallest is 14g.

I ONLY fly indoors as they are so light they can't really be controlled in any sort of wind.

Is registration still required for indoor only flight?? I have 2 of the one comixbooks pictured above and 1 UDI (heaviest one)

FAA does not handle anything not in airspace or tethered to the ground. From my understanding (unless it's changed), you could fly a massive drone in a closed warehouse/stadium (with roof) and not have to follow the FAA regulations.

Exactly, I have been trying to find the actual document and read for myself instead of trusting these blow-hard fake news assholes. When they neglect to link to any source at all, I get a little curious and dig for myself.

I think this might be it, but I am not positive that it is the final signed version of the document.

See my other post. I looked it up and compared with the existing FARs in that post and I believe that registration is required for all drones and that serial number *may* be sufficient instead of an "N" number. I was just a little busy at work for the first post and didnt have time to do it then.

From the AMA site:

I'm not sure about just what you mean by "the last go-around" because the text from the new Law just signed basically says "Yea, but that last drone registration law into effect just the way it was" and I didn't spot any modifications to it listed.

FAA does not handle anything not in airspace or tethered to the ground. From my understanding (unless it's changed), you could fly a massive drone in a closed warehouse/stadium (with roof) and not have to follow the FAA regulations.

Inside a roof you are not in the national airspace system.

I'm not sure about just what you mean by "the last go-around" because the text from the new Law just signed basically says "Yea, but that last drone registration law into effect just the way it was" and I didn't spot any modifications to it listed.

I don't think the FAA website had all types of models listed last time, and I don't think the AMA stated all models had to be registered (except the previously mentioned CL, FF, and indoor/less than .55lb)

I don't recall this wording previously, but I might have missed it:

Last edited:

No, only drones of 250 Grams or higher need to be registered.

See my other post. I looked it up and compared with the existing FARs in that post and I believe that registration is required for all drones and that serial number *may* be sufficient instead of an "N" number. I was just a little busy at work for the first post and didnt have time to do it then.

Drones do not need to have a "N" Number unless they are being used for commercial purposes. They just need to be registered.

Back