you have to be KIDDING me!

thats wat happens when companys are so lazy and make so much money and dont feel like writing open source drivers

so im fucked.. great.. well, i would have liked to switch to linux. :THANKS CREATIVE! :rolleyes:

Damn, I was thinking about dual-booting FC5 along side XP Pro but that is not gonna happen now.
And I hate paying $200.00 for a soundcard and then not being able to use it with any OS that I want.

CREATIVE make linux drivers NOW

J32P2006

Not entirely unlike the situation with Ati and FreeBSD. (I still get 2d, though, so it's usable for most things.)

I did have to fall back to my integrated intel chip to get sound here after swapping my cheap hercules something soundcard with a new audigy, sadly. It's just a bit too new to be supported by even the experimental emu10kx drivers.

Creative need to start handing out some practical information to the OSS driver writers. It's not like it'd cost them anything.

HHunt said:
Creative need to start handing out some practical information to the OSS driver writers. It's not like it'd cost them anything.
Maybe they can't, for the same reasons NVIDIA won't give out information on their cards.

I'm quite happy with my SBLive under FreeBSD. :)

[H]EMI_426 said:
Maybe they can't, for the same reasons NVIDIA won't give out information on their cards.

I'm quite happy with my SBLive under FreeBSD. :)

Possibly, possibly. I wouldn't be suprised if it's only lazyness, misunderstood "trade secrets" [1] or plain lack of awareness, though.
My Live! Value works fine in the other FreeBSD box, yeah. :)
I just bought a new Audigy (something) that's apparently not supported yet for this one, though. Ahwell, it's not as if moving the plug between the cards is much work.

[1] As if interfacing with their cards will reveal anything that will threaten their marketshare

osalcido said:
dual boot :cool:
Kinda sucks to do that in order to do something as simple as listen to music... might as well say 'buy a radio'..

Non-loving vendors make baby Tux cry.

I am not KIDDING you! You have had to expect it, I mean its creative. Just look at their windows drivers, crap. Can you expect anything else for linux? If it makes you feel any better I am having the same problem right now with some hd sound card that is built into my mobo.

i wonder if turtle beach has linux drivers for the montego ddl... hmmm

hmmm... nope. this is pissing me off. the install of this went PERFECTLY, and now this. always something! :p

I use my Audigy2 card, 5.1 Logitech speakers, and Amarok for music and I think it sounds allot better than on Windows with the same 5.1 sound.

I use the Xine engine for Amarok and it is amazing. I have tried WinAMP on the windows side, but it is just lacking compared to Amarok in sound and features.

I know you don't get allot of the SFX with some games, but its really moot with all the other benefits you get running an Open Operating system; IMO...

Joe

[H]EMI_426 said:
That's free OSes for ya. I'm amused that people are still surprised by this kind of stuff.

Are you kidding me??!! I paid nothing for my Linux and FreeBSD distros that don't have dominant market share! I DEMAND DRIVERS FREE OF CHARGE NOW!!!!one :p

Although, speaking seriously, it is kind of annoying. Probably keeps more than a few people (like me) from making more of an effort to switch away from Windows.

Q-Ball said:
Are you kidding me??!! I paid nothing for my Linux and FreeBSD distros that don't have dominant market share! I DEMAND DRIVERS FREE OF CHARGE NOW!!!!one :p

Although, speaking seriously, it is kind of annoying. Probably keeps more than a few people (like me) from making more of an effort to switch away from Windows.

I like Linux a lot, but it is true that some research and planning has to go into buying hardware for a Linux system, while in Windows drivers are usually a gimme.

how foolish of me to expect to be able to use the card in whatever O/S i want. :rolleyes:

well, looks like i need to sell my x-fi and get an audigy2 zs. :(

Jason711 said:
how foolish of me to expect to be able to use the card in whatever O/S i want. :rolleyes:

well, looks like i need to sell my x-fi and get an audigy2 zs. :(

Even a Mac will have some problems now and then. Making !windows drivers for anything seems to be suprisingly hard for some companies.

I like Linux a lot, but it is true that some research and planning has to go into buying hardware for a Linux system, while in Windows drivers are usually a gimme.

You got that right man!!

It sucks but that is just the way it is. If you want to run a linux box, you got to plan out your hardware purchases before hand. I tell people this all the time and get arguments that it shouldn't be required. I agree it shouldn't be, but it is. And that is just how things are.

Jason711 said:
Yes, it is foolish. Why would some companies bother to write drivers when they realize that the vast majority of people using their hardware are going to be running Windows? Particularly when it comes to sound cards...Pretty much everything that's not bleeding-edge has had an open-source driver written for it, so why would companies bother when they know eventually someone will figure out how it works and write a driver themselves?

You're more than welcome to use the card under any OS you want. Just be prepared to write your own driver :D They certainly aren't stopping you!

I don't get bent out of shape over this kind of stuff any more. It used to irk me, but I can see their point of view. It does amuse me that the *nix folks (particularly the newer Linux-using crowd) think they should be catered to. I just use Windows for a desktop and use FreeBSD for server-type stuff. I have a FreeBSD workstation, but I certainly don't expect anything to work. Call me a cynic, but that's just how it works. No, we're not kidding you. :)

Hey, since we're on the subject, what is the most recent sound card that will work under Linux (or FreeBSD, for that matter)? Are there any that have actual hardware acceleration and/or 5.1 surround? Since I'm thinking of getting a new sound card, I may as well ask.

as gay as it is, i'm sure someone at the ALSA project will write a driver sooner or later. I have a second hand Audigy2 that works fine under linux, but that is not creative to thank. What I would recommend doing in your situation, is to return the X-Fi. Why patronize a shit company?

Whatsisname said:
as gay as it is, i'm sure someone at the ALSA project will write a driver sooner or later. I have a second hand Audigy2 that works fine under linux, but that is not creative to thank. What I would recommend doing in your situation, is to return the X-Fi. Why patronize a shit company?

yeah.. i changed my mind on the audigy. im gonna go for a m-audio revo 5.1. its about the same price and it has a higher quality chipset.

Bullshit,

Linux programmers need to take the exact same responsibility as windows ones.

By saying that, they're just as bad.

It doesn't matter about proprietary, if my card isn't supported -- that's bad. Linux is to blame, not the corporations.

lol, yeah, its linux programmers fault that companies don't release programming information about their products. :rolleyes:

HekoAridese said:
Bullshit,

Linux programmers need to take the exact same responsibility as windows ones.

By saying that, they're just as bad.

It doesn't matter about proprietary, if my card isn't supported -- that's bad. Linux is to blame, not the corporations.

These Linux programmers tell me to use their OS -- but it doesn't work.

I'm sure as hell not blaming the companies, who want to protect their IP. All those linux dorks just blame copyright because of their incompetence -- who else are they supposed to blame? Billy? Nope -- can't blame Billy anymore.

<3 Bill Gates

HekoAridese said:
These Linux programmers tell me to use their OS -- but it doesn't work.

I'm sure as hell not blaming the companies, who want to protect their IP. All those linux dorks just blame copyright because of their incompetence -- who else are they supposed to blame? Billy? Nope -- can't blame Billy anymore.

<3 Bill Gates
First of all, no linux programmers tell you to use linux. Linux programmers develop the software for themselves; if you want to use it then that's your choice.

Secondly, it is often very difficult to write a driver for a device without knowing at least basic specifications. It requires a great deal of work that just really isn't worth it in some cases.

Microsoft doesn't make drivers for windows. The hardware companies do. I fail to see why you think that volunteer linux programmers are to blame for hardware not being supported. It is entirely up to the company to either provide drivers or provide the specs to allow drivers to be developed.

It's common sense to see if a particular device is supported in your desired platform before you buy the device. Buying it and then finding out it isn't supported is your fault. Not the dev's, not anyone else's. Stop trolling.

what about companies like redhat or novell... dont they have resources to develop?

Jason711 said:
what about companies like redhat or novell... dont they have resources to develop?
They certainly have the resources to develop, but all the resources in the world aren't worth much if they don't have the specs for the devices. Those companies are definitely business oriented, so it's probably not worth it to them to reverse engineer a consumer-level sound card to create a driver.

linux well never attain the level windows has if nobody has the backing to produce drivers.

at least they have a lot more influcence than just you and me emailing creative asking for support.

Jason711 said:
linux well never attain the level windows has if nobody has the backing to produce drivers.

at least they have a lot more influcence than just you and me emailing creative asking for support.
Who wants linux to attain the level windows has?

Many companies won't produce linux drivers if linux doesn't have the userbase that windows does. If you use linux, just don't buy products from those companies. It's pretty easy to get a fully functioning linux system if you just spend a few minutes researching products before you buy. Although contacting companies about linux support always helps so that they can get a better idea of demand.

Q-Ball said:

The switch to linux, for me, is worth the pain in my ass of following some instructions off the 'net to compile drivers and make em work. Did it with a different linux version of drivers for my Ralink wifi card, turned out good (after many tries). Im just about to start backing up 30 gigs of crap on my PC, to make way for fedora 4.

Although yes, lack of support does really hold me back sometimes. But thats probably a given, linux is free and still gaining populaty... Just give baby penguin awhile to catch on :).

On the issue of drivers, I'd like to mention something I find mildly amusing. Take a look at the sempron3100+ecs motherboard thread over in hotdeals and look at the pages and pages of problems people were having with the windows drivers. You have to install certain ones from the cdrom, certain ones from the internet, don't install other ones. I just checked the appropriate options in my kernel config and that's it. :p I've heard of ubuntu installs working without any additional configuration. So when you're looking at the state of linux drivers, keep in mind all the mess associated with windows drivers. I'm sure many of you have had flawless windows installs; I don't want to hear it. I was just presenting an interesting observation; I don't want to get into a debate over this. :)

jpmkm said:
Who wants linux to attain the level windows has?

Many companies won't produce linux drivers if linux doesn't have the userbase that windows does. If you use linux, just don't buy products from those companies. It's pretty easy to get a fully functioning linux system if you just spend a few minutes researching products before you buy. Although contacting companies about linux support always helps so that they can get a better idea of demand.

i do, i want choices.. not to say this isnt a choice. i just want a better choice.

yeah, contacting them helps.... but compare an email between me and redhat or suse.

jpmkm said:
On the issue of drivers, I'd like to mention something I find mildly amusing. Take a look at the sempron3100+ecs motherboard thread over in hotdeals and look at the pages and pages of problems people were having with the windows drivers. You have to install certain ones from the cdrom, certain ones from the internet, don't install other ones. I just checked the appropriate options in my kernel config and that's it. :p I've heard of ubuntu installs working without any additional configuration. So when you're looking at the state of linux drivers, keep in mind all the mess associated with windows drivers. I'm sure many of you have had flawless windows installs; I don't want to hear it. I was just presenting an interesting observation; I don't want to get into a debate over this. :)

Agreed...

When I install Windows, I have to actually install chipset drivers, video drivers, audio drivers, network card drivers, joystick drivers (Saitek X45 HOTAS), mouse drivers (For fully functional buttons), drivers for every piece of hardware I own... Not to mention a shit load of patches, antispyware, antivirus, anti this and anti that... Its bullshit. I would just rather use Linux and be done with the install in one swoop...

When I install Linux, I install the Nvidia drivers, and pop in my Dell 3100CN Laser Printers CD to install the NATIVE cups drivers for my network printer... Thats 'bout it...

Every other piece of hardware I own is covered in the Kernel.

Machine specs in sig... And its a pretty new system.

Linux driver support is coming along just fine. You may get the odd problem with a Windows specific piece of hardware (Winmodems), but 99.999% of ALL the hardware is natively supported now under Linux. Thanks in part to OSDL, Novel, Dell, IBM, Red Hat, Intel, HP, Nvidia, ATI, and tons of other companies that value Linux (Or are just tired if MS.)

Joe

Jason711 said:
yeah... it just takes a year or two to be supported.

How do you figure this?

The Nvidia 7900 GTX's Linux drivers were released the same day as the card (Along with the Windows Drivers). Same with the 7800's and 6800's. In fact, ALL Nvidia's stuff is supported at the same time as the Windows drivers. Not sure about ATI.

I have never had to wait for hardware support; for anything. I do shop for top quality parts, and those top quality parts tend to have immediate support in Linux because they are common.

Nforce 4 chipsets were in the kernel long before Windows XP... Oh, Wait, XP doesn't have support for Nforce 4, or 3, or even 2; or most modern chipsets. Thats right, they just support the "Compatibility Mode" if the chip set... You have to download or install from a CD...

When I bought my hardware, it was ALL NEW (With the exception of the CPU... Could not afford a sparkling new one at the time) and all my hardware worked OUT OF THE BOX on Linux...

Tell me how you figure you have to wait a year... Now, I don't own ALL the hardware out there, but ALL the mainstream stuff is well covered; and has been for years...

Joe

Back