You have rested for 26 Days and 8Hrs...

Its surprising how many people have never heard of Icewind Dale or Baldurs gate. Especially those who consider themselves "gamers".

Its surprising how many people have never heard of Icewind Dale or Baldurs gate. Especially those who consider themselves "gamers".

Not that surprising. BG1 is 16 years old. A person that is 20 would have been four years old when Baldur's Gate came out. You can't expect people to know about every single classic video game, especially ones that would have come out long before they had the ability to really play them.

...and all of those people not knowing these games should head over to GamersGate.com and get the Anthology with BG1+2, Icewind Dale 1+2, Planescape and Temple of Elemental Evil for $20.

...and all of those people not knowing these games should head over to GamersGate.com and get the Anthology with BG1+2, Icewind Dale 1+2, Planescape and Temple of Elemental Evil for $20.

GOG is also an option.

Umm, no GoG isn't. At least not for the Anthology (not available) or for the combined price (would be over $40 for these games combined). Why would GoG then be an option?

Umm, no GoG isn't. At least not for the Anthology (not available) or for the combined price (would be over $40 for these games combined). Why would GoG then be an option?

wait for a sale on there D&D games, its what I did :)

Not that surprising. BG1 is 16 years old. A person that is 20 would have been four years old when Baldur's Gate came out. You can't expect people to know about every single classic video game, especially ones that would have come out long before they had the ability to really play them.

Not really. It is not surprising for a 20 year old to not to know timeless classic video games, it is surprising and disturbing for a person who calls themselves a gamer to not to know IceWind Dale and Bg and games like that no matter what their age is.
It is like saying I am a music fan, I love music, it holds a great spot in my life and listen to Lady gaga and justin bieber all day long (Battlefield, Call of duty) and never heard of Beatles, Scorpions, Hendrix, Doors, Pavarotti because he was too young or not alive when those types of music/bands/composers lived.

Not really. It is not surprising for a 20 year old to not to know timeless classic video games, it is surprising and disturbing for a person who calls themselves a gamer to not to know IceWind Dale and Bg and games like that no matter what their age is.
It is like saying I am a music fan, I love music, it holds a great spot in my life and listen to Lady gaga and justin bieber all day long (Battlefield, Call of duty) and never heard of Beatles, Scorpions, Hendrix, Doors, Pavarotti because he was too young or not alive when those types of music/bands/composers lived.

Or we could not have stupid elitist attitudes about who is and isn't a "gamer" and just accept people.

Or we could not have stupid elitist attitudes about who is and isn't a "gamer" and just accept people.

Stupid elitist attitude? you are classifying people in order to represent what they are all about but you want everyone to be included in that group? That makes no sense. Also I have not said being a gamer is a good thing, a lifelong goal one must achieve, or has to be passed down from his family, like to be a gamer, your dad must be a gamer... I have not said any of those things.

IMO opinion being a gamer is actually a disadvantage and is known to raise red flags on hiring mangers minds and pass on potential employees because it is linked with consumption of large quantities of caffeinated beverages, junk food, lack of sleep and overall laziness.

How is this elite?

Stupid elitist attitude? you are classifying people in order to represent what they are all about but you want everyone to be included in that group? That makes no sense. Also I have not said being a gamer is a good thing, a lifelong goal one must achieve, or has to be passed down from his family, like to be a gamer, your dad must be a gamer... I have not said any of those things.

IMO opinion being a gamer is actually a disadvantage and is known to raise red flags on hiring mangers minds and pass on potential employees because it is linked with consumption of large quantities of caffeinated beverages, junk food, lack of sleep and overall laziness.

How is this elite?

I have no problem calling people a gamer if they wish to be called that. I have no right to decide who "deserves" that label and who doesn't. I'd consider the person who just plays Madden or CoD every year and loves it a gamer as well as the person who could name every obscure RPG ever released. They might be into their hobby at different extremes but that doesn't matter to me in the slightest. Then again I'm simply of the mindset to accept people for who they are and how they want to label themselves. It's not my place to judge them and tell them if they're right or wrong.

Dang, Icewind Dale isn't even that old. I was playing that game at ten or eleven!

It's 14 years old actually. I'm trying to remember when I got my copy of it. I want to say it was a few months after it came out. Makes me feel kind of old thinking that I was 16 when the game came out.

I have no problem calling people a gamer if they wish to be called that. I have no right to decide who "deserves" that label and who doesn't. I'd consider the person who just plays Madden or CoD every year and loves it a gamer as well as the person who could name every obscure RPG ever released. They might be into their hobby at different extremes but that doesn't matter to me in the slightest. Then again I'm simply of the mindset to accept people for who they are and how they want to label themselves. It's not my place to judge them and tell them if they're right or wrong.

You are basically saying this is a free country, if they wanna call themselves gamers then they are gamers. Then what do we call people who I think should be called gamers? Something totally else? Just like being a Patriots fan for 3 seasons while they were winning superbowls and pretty much stop watching football after that ( I did this btw) is not being a patriots fan or football fan, a COD playing, constantly cussing out of his moms basement, 13 year old pimpled child is not a gamer. Strippers are not students, cops don't serve the public and politicians are not honest, no matter what they say.

How..... do people play Icewind Dale?

Seriously, I own it, and I tried to play it, but holy crap, I think I'm missing something but I get utterly destroyed by the enemies in that game so easily. I've never played the board games or nothing though. I did play Pool of Radiance (LOVE THAT GAME, btw) but quit after my save file got corrupted or teh game messed up or something or another after hours of gameplay, multiple times.

Seriously, I own it, and I tried to play it, but holy crap, I think I'm missing something but I get utterly destroyed by the enemies in that game so easily. I've never played the board games or nothing though. I did play Pool of Radiance (LOVE THAT GAME, btw) but quit after my save file got corrupted or teh game messed up or something or another after hours of gameplay, multiple times.

You need to understand the ruleset and the underlying mechanics of everything. IWD does not hold your hand and expects you to know what to do from the word go. Party balance is crucial and so is thinking carefully about every move you make. IWD is very faithful to the ruleset to the point where dying in early levels is expected. AD&D was, to put it mildly, not very friendly to low-level players. It is a great game once things start going in your favor.

Use pause. A LOT.

Pong came out about 8-9 years before I was born and I know what that is :D

I would expect kids that are into western RPG to at least start learning about games like IWD and Baldur's Gate at some point.

Pong came out about 8-9 years before I was born and I know what that is :D

I would expect kids that are into western RPG to at least start learning about games like IWD and Baldur's Gate at some point.

If they're into it beyond games of the Elder Scrolls style they probably will. The market for BG or IWD style games these days seems to be mostly those of us who were part of the CRPG era of the mid to late 90s and early 2000s. Though with games like Divinity: OS and Wasteland 2 getting along of buzz not to mention Torment and Pillars it seems like that style of game is coming back in decent force.

One of the best games ever! I remember trying to survive the first goblin fight or something with just one or two characters. Because that way you would get levels faster. If I remember this correctly. But yeah, magnificent game :)

Ahh the memories of good old games.

ah i remember playing bg2 not knowing wtf i was doing and being so lost (i was like 12 i think) because it was my fist dnd game and once i found out wtf i was doing i had a blast

I'm a gamer. I've never played balders gate(s) or ice wind dale.

I say deal with it.

Games of a different era. Would be nice to have a reason to walk in a gamestop and see just a small section of new pc games in big boxes like days gone past.

Compete

1179417576-00_zps11c54085.jpg

Back