You Hate the Planet if You Buy an iPhone XS

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Motherboard is taking issue with Apple's Lisa Jackson saying that longer lasting phones you keep using are "the best thing for the planet." Motherboard tells us that making a new iPhone is an incredibly destructive endeavor. It notes among other things, that a single iPhone construction uses an estimated 75lbs of mined raw material. OK, maybe 75lbs of "dirt" is not that big of a deal, but then Apple ships it all over the world. The article is a good read and gets into a lot of subjects that can be applied to many of the electronics we use today.

So while Apple knows that extending the life of the average iPhone is critically important to reducing its environmental impact, it continues to take steps to do the opposite of that. The best thing you could do, then, is to keep using the phone you’ve already got.

Apple should do the ultimate recycle program. Offer to buy back your old iphone for $100 to recycle it. Then they relabel it the new model, and sell it back to you for $800 dollars. Then you brag that you have the new iPhone and Apple saves Earth. Fault. My. Logic.

You know what would help extend the life of phones? If we could replace the battery in them ourselves. Like really.

I literally chose my v20 because it's the best phone with a removable battery. That's my #1 criteria. For many reasons.

It also helps the v20 kicks fucking ass, god damn!

Miss removeable battery. Using an s8+ at the moment, probably my last samsung if the battery keeps going downhill like it has been.

Fuck Apple. I had to do an account recovery on my Apple ID and it gave me a status update of 24 days remaining after 4 days had passed. Apple refuses to do anything to speed this up and this was for a corporate issued device. Shit like that is one of the many reasons I can't stand Apple as a company.

If you're using something from within the past 4 years, there is no real good reason to upgrade.

You might get a whopping 25% performance increase on some aps which are already programmed for the lowest common denominator anyways.

Fuck yea! Save the planet from those Apple pricks!

Got anymore of those RTX cards?!

I'm always upgrading shit before I really should. Making those components isn't good for the environment. But, if we were truly interested in saving the planet, I wouldn't be typing this. I'd be off the grid, not using any power or electronic devices created using heavy metals (all), and would just be some hermit hippy making bombs in Montana.

Fuck yea! Save the planet from those Apple pricks!

Got anymore of those RTX cards?!

I'm always upgrading shit before I really should. Making those components isn't good for the environment. But, if we were truly interested in saving the planet, I wouldn't be typing this. I'd be off the grid, not using any power or electronic devices created using heavy metals (all), and would just be some hermit hippy making bombs in Montana.

Ask our local expert Unabomber

New iPhone it is but the cell reception is still crap (same goes to every new phones released in the last decade)

I think it is the same for pretty much any phone, but yes it is under atrocious conditions some of the exotic materials are mined in Africa and other places too if you factor in the gold too ( depending where it come from, but really this is just a huge mess no one want to resolve )
At least we can send our electronic garbage back to Africa by the ship load, and so we really only borrow the materials from them :D
I am / we are filthy animals, and if you dont want to be that, well you have to go to extreme measures, hugging a tree now and then and salt the ground where it grow with your tears amount to nothing.
Probably come off as sanctimonious to many people though i am not claiming to be any nicer than the next guy are, but i will also say i am pretty stoked i have not gotten any kids, it is hard enough to look my little sisters kids in the eyes.

Member those guys that go " well a mac or iphone / fruit company product, they dont get virus and malware and such" and then the person saying that honestly think he is wise and tech savy. :inpain:

Can you hate the planet even if you don't buy an iPhone? I'll sign up for that shit right now!! (y)

Apple is offering $525 on a great shape iPhone X trade in; not awful. That being said, I see no reason to upgrade this year. iOS 12 is the first rock solid iOS in a few years. My 4 year old iPad Air is like a new device. Just like those awful campaign signs everywhere, they aren't great for the environment but some is getting paid to make the raw materials and final product.

Is it really the phones problem? Or is it the problem of all the cell carriers & phone manufacturers who keep pushing the idea that we need the latest and the greatest, then ultimately our fault if you're a fucking neanderthal that can't keep a phone for more than a couple years without the screen looking like you dropped a bowling ball on it.

This goes for everything, not just phones. Driving an ancient pickup truck is better for the environment than buying a new Prius, once you factor in all the production involved in making and shipping a Prius.

Apple should do the ultimate recycle program. Offer to buy back your old iphone for $100 to recycle it. Then they relabel it the new model, and sell it back to you for $800 dollars. Then you brag that you have the new iPhone and Apple saves Earth. Fault. My. Logic.

A win win for everybody

This goes for everything, not just phones. Driving an ancient pickup truck is better for the environment than buying a new Prius, once you factor in all the production involved in making and shipping a Prius.
Depends on how much the older item is reused, if the truck is reused by someone else then hey it's great, if the old iPhone is resold as "refurbished" then great, if all they do is strip out the battery and chuck it in the eWaste box then not so great.

Another is the lack of security updates that in particular plagues Android, forcing at least me to replace an otherwise serviceable phone.
I don't care about security on a phone (baseband modems anyone?) but do care about updates because they're the only thing that will outdate an otherwise fast enough phone.
I used an sgs2 until half a year ago, only thing that made it unusable was lack of app support for older Android versions.
It could do everything else, not as fast as modern flagship phones but it could if you didn't mind being a little patient.

I'm not sure what they're talking about. My phone is is a 6s, which is now 3 years old and runs well. How long do they expect them to last? Compared to PCs, smart phones are still in the early days. Up until about 7 or 8 years ago, I was replacing my CPU/MB (and often ram) every 3 years.

Depends on how much the older item is reused, if the truck is reused by someone else then hey it's great, if the old iPhone is resold as "refurbished" then great, if all they do is strip out the battery and chuck it in the eWaste box then not so great.
I don't have the source for where they publish their recycling amounts, but from what I remember it was quite high.

Hack the phone and put a community release on it, which gets those updates ;o

But otherwise, I do agree.

Unfortunately the amount of people in the Android community willing to help you, should you have issues with any of these updated community ROMs and kernels... amount to about 1.5. And one of those is never on when you need them anyway. If we round that down, that's 0. You basically have to go digging with a freaking shovel (or just have this knowledge beforehand) should you have any issues. And I didn't have time for that. If you feel like spending more time messing with your phone's low level software than actually using it, by all means feel free. Sometimes I didn't have issues, but then when I did... there was 0 support. Ultimately I'm just going on an outdated LG V20 official release and I don't care. Rooting and whatnot just brings you into the realm of the esoteric.

Phone hardware has been good enough for what most people do with their phones for about 4-5 years. If Apple would stop rolling crap into updates to deliberately slow down slightly older phones, not as many people would need to upgrade. Their profits would hurt, but it would be better for the planet and for consumers.

Can I hate the planet and not buy the new iPhone. Asking for a friend.

The keep the one you have only applies if the one you have isn’t on its last leg. Iphone 6 battery replaced still won’t hold charges for half the day. Buttons failing. Screen replaced twice. At some point one must replace your phone. This is just that time. XR here I come.

My 6S will need to be replaced next year. this release has me hopeful that next year we will see another inclusion of a much more affordable model.

Still waiting for more details though.

I don't hate the planet, just most of the people on it.

If you work the angles hard enough, simply being born is proof you hate the planet.

In reality, when it comes to most people, being born is just proof they hate me.
You are all alright:)

Back