You guys were right about the JVC HA-RX 900

reg411

Weaksauce
These are some epic phones on a budget!

After my Sennheiser HD590s died I was looking to buy some new headphones. It was between the JVC HA-RX900, Beyerdynamic DT 770, Sennheiser HD555 and HD595.

After reading several reviews both here and other sites raving about the HA-RX900, I took a leap of faith and bought 'em. The price ($54.99 from Amazon) also played a major role in my decision. I have them plugged into the back directly into the soundcard Asus Xonar DX. My first impression was they certainly deliver on bass. After getting used to and loving the HD590s I was afraid how a new pair of headphones might sound. Thankfully, I feel they sound just as good. I don't particularly care about mids & highs so much for the music I listen to. I think it's fine at least for my needs.

The only issue I have with them is they're not as comfortable as the HD590s. But I wouldn't call them uncomfortable either. On a scale of 1 to 10, I'd give the 590s a 10 and the HA-RX900 an 8 in terms of comfort.

I did have to play around with the asus xonar dx audio center to get them to sound the way I like them. I'm not sure what half the stuff on there is, so I just tried different combinations until I felt the sound was enjoyable. Perhaps someone can enlighten me on getting rid of unecessary settings or changing it to make 'em sound even better :)
(The rest of the options are either off or at their default values)

xonardxaudiocenter.jpg

I've had mine for about a year now. For the price, I don't think they can be beat. The only issue I've had is my ears get hot after an hour+ of gaming.

I'm testing mine out, I just got them as an early christmas gift. I can't believe these things are only ~60 bucks. Sound so good, just plugged into a laptop playing 320k mp3's. Can't wait to hook them up to a stereo or play some flac's off my desktop

I have these, the ATH-A700 and the Beyer DT770.

1st. The Beyers and the Audio Technicas are better. They should be since they are at a different price point.

OK, now the JVC is good, crushed mids, great bass, and decent highs, but they don't have near the staging of the Audio Technicas, nor do they have the evenness or capability of the DT770.

I prefer the Audio Technicas for gaming as they stage presents the deliver is awesome. DT770's though just sound better, bring out more bass, potency, and energy during a song, movie, or game. Both the Audio technicas and the Beyers have better control of the sound, and can go way too loud for your ears (be concious to protect them if you want to keep using your ears).

HARX are a good approximation of ATHs at a lower budget, but they're only a good approximation.

ATHs vs Beyers...I wouldn't say either is better, unless we were talking about a specific recording. The Beyers definitely have more kick in the bass, but the ATHs are stronger in the midrange and have better separation. I'd use the Beyers for gaming.

ive had my 700's for about a week and now i can only hear from 1 side. bummer.

Just got my second pair of 700's for XMAS. Price point meant other gifts too!

Back