You guys. The voice acting...it's so bad. =( Trials of Mana

erek

[H]F Junkie
:( Say it aint so? Is it true? :(

"The Faerie sounds fine but good lord. I'm a huge defender of dubs. Really. If it's passable I can listen to it. But this is... And not all characters sound this bad and I don't want to play in sub. I really don't. But I'm worried if I don't I'll be distracted the whole time. It's really that terrible to me. I've never felt this way about a game I've looked forward to before."

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/266193-trials-of-mana/78480885

Sounds like your typically lazy, poorly cast and acted valley girl voice over used in most anime dubs. No surprise really. I imagine they probably never do more than 1 take.

Whatever. This game is great played on hard. I loved Seiken Densetsu 3 as a kid playing the translated ROM. The fact that they actually remade this game is a fan service gift. It's shallow in some regards due to the fact that you can only do so much with a SNES remake and a B team doing the development. But I've already spent 12 hours in the game since I got it yesterday, having a blast.

It has the Japanese audio so I'll play it eventually, maybe in 3-4 years. My backlog is long.

Why are you making a "news" post based on a random forum post? At least link to a video showcasing the voice acting or something. I don't usually like to complain about your news posts, but this is really stretching it.

If you click the link the first post has a Youtube vid.

Sounds fine. Nothing great mind you, but nothing deal breaking.
Agree sounds fine from the video, and honestly preferable to a lot of Japanese voice acting where there's a lot of "high pitchiness" where everything of any excitement level makes them sound like they're in pain, and the men typically sound like they're take a shit while reading the lines. But YMMV, sometimes people feel that is more "authentic"

Meh, born in 76, not as bad as early anime back then.

Nothing like growing up in the '80s, where going to watch a Japanime flick meant that you and a buddy went over to Mike's house, where Mike was a grown-ass man living with his parents, and the movie was fan-subbed from a French-language bootleg by a company working out of the Netherlands via catalog, all done using a daisy chain of VHS-C camcorers.

"If you aren't home before dark, we won't save any pizza for you!"

You want bad lets talk Star Ocean The Second Story. Although there is that one PS2 RPG that takes the cake on all dubbed RPGs.

I played the SNES leaked version on emulation a few months back, and was bored to tears.

They manged to completely cluster-fuck Secret of Mana's functional circle menus, and replace them with a multi-page menu (which was mostly unusedall that wasted space!!). That strange widescreen resolution was also confusing.

Each hero having their own weapons also took away the last vestiges of fun during combat (no more changing your weapons load-out several times in the game.) You don't get a lot of choices for weapons you can purchase eithr. I gave0-up a few hours after acquiring the third party member.

I won't be buying this worthless thing: adding 3d graphics isn't going to fix an already-broken game.

Last edited:
Voice acting is very important.. I couldnt play Metro Exodus for more than an hour or so until I had to quit because of that.

Part of the problem is that the delay between lines is often very, very long in videogames and creates this extremely stiff, unnatural feel to dialogue. One of the most frequent situations is when a character says something and then the camera switches over to another for a reaction and it takes like another 2 seconds for them to even say anything. Just an awkward gap when it should be edited in a much tighter manner.

Nothing like growing up in the '80s, where going to watch a Japanime flick meant that you and a buddy went over to Mike's house, where Mike was a grown-ass man living with his parents, and the movie was fan-subbed from a French-language bootleg by a company working out of the Netherlands via catalog, all done using a daisy chain of VHS-C camcorers.

"If you aren't home before dark, we won't save any pizza for you!"
Back then, you had a shit load of kids and had life insurance on each one. Raise them the best you could and let them free-range the neighborhood, if something happened to one, no biggie, you get a nice payday. Oh, we also grewup with George Carlin! :)

Shame I never got to play with larn darts tho.

Reactions: Axman
like this
Voice acting sounds okay to me.

I think English speakers think the dub is bad but the original audio probably sounds just as corny to a Japanese speaker.

And, yeah, I've been watching anime since the 90's. I've heard some horrible dubs, but things are much better these days.

Ever watch anime in Japanese? The voice acting is terrible. Character presses a button under stress? They'll shout this:
"EEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!"

And all kinds of awkward noises and sounds that no one ever makes, even Japanese people. Plus the dialogue and subject material tends to be very cheesy. Japanese can very seldom make something serious and believable. Doesn't mean they don't put out some good stuff, but voice acting and quality was never a high point.

If you click the link the first post has a Youtube vid.

*Me starts the video*

Wait, she was crying? Yeah the voice acting is... dull... I'd rather play the Japanese dub as usual with anime and jRPG's. Hell, even if it were bad I could not tell.

Ever watch anime in Japanese? The voice acting is terrible. Character presses a button under stress? They'll shout this:
"EEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!"

And all kinds of awkward noises and sounds that no one ever makes, even Japanese people. Plus the dialogue and subject material tends to be very cheesy. Japanese can very seldom make something serious and believable. Doesn't mean they don't put out some good stuff, but voice acting and quality was never a high point.

Reminds me of those dating sim games lol...

I can't watch any anime dubbed in English. Some that I've watched before and was entertained by were painfully cringey in English.

I'm not sure if this means that the material I'm watching is actually retarded, but I just like hearing Japanese actresses overact, or if the English voice actors just really suck, or some combination of the two.

I can't watch any anime dubbed in English. Some that I've watched before and was entertained by were painfully cringey in English.

I'm not sure if this means that the material I'm watching is actually retarded, but I just like hearing Japanese actresses overact, or if the English voice actors just really suck, or some combination of the two.
Depends on the context. In a lot of cases where the original(JP) voice actor is going ham with ridiculous acting, it's normally because the director wants the character to stand out in some eccentric way (best example would be nearly any character in Jojo's Bizarre Adventure). It's another way to make the main cast unique, like wild hair or clothing; if you pay attention to most background characters, they're usually pretty dull/normal by comparison. The problem with translating that to english is that they aren't normally given proper direction so a lot of guess work butchers the acting (along with lack of good english VAs).

I started the Secret of Mana (one of my favorite games growing up) remake just recently and found the English dub to be a bit rough, but as Business6 pointed out the dialogue is awkward.

But these games were made before voices in video games were a thing. longer pauses for effect and to show a (short but exaggerated) animation to go along with timed text was the norm.

For me, the style of the graphics lends itself pretty well to that over-the-top anime voice acting style that some if you are talking about. So after listening to the English dub for a bit I switched it to Japanese. That was when I discovered they had added an option to use the original SNES soundtrack instead of the remade music, so playing through it has been a real treat for me.

I’m looking forward to Trials for the same reason, cheesiness and all. Some game remakes try to do a total rework of everything, but with these they tried to keep that early 90s game design intact, and I think it can be really jarring for some.

Meh, born in 76, not as bad as early anime back then.

I saw Lensman at the city art-house theater as a kid (in '89 I think). I had no idea what it was and neither did my Dad, but he wanted to expose me to different cultural stuff I guess. It was amazing seeing it on a big screen, but I'm glad the visuals and story were so good because, otherwise, that English dub may have put me off ever watching another anime.

Back then, you had a shit load of kids and had life insurance on each one. Raise them the best you could and let them free-range the neighborhood, if something happened to one, no biggie, you get a nice payday. Oh, we also grewup with George Carlin! :)
Damn my parents must have not loved me, never had life insurance on me... I think :D

But yeah "free range" gotta love this terminology. No cell phones either, my mom just went outside and yelled my name at the top of her lungs, that was useful to about a 3 block radius, and if I wasn't home in 15 minutes and she had to go get me... oooh boy. :D But yeah good times.

This voice acting is pretty bad, but I expected worse. I expected Thundercats from the 1980's kind of bad and this wasn't remotely on that level.

Sounds like your typically lazy, poorly cast and acted valley girl voice over used in most anime dubs. No surprise really. I imagine they probably never do more than 1 take.
Aaaand this is why subs > dubs overall. Why settle for less than the original, anyway?

Reactions: zehoo
like this
Game was good. Faithful remake. Loved the original SD3 back in the day of fan translated SNES ROMS. This scratched the itch. My only complaint was the game was too easy. Definitely could use a modders touch to bring an insanity difficulty.

No cell phones either

Would you like to take a collect call from, ..."MOMjasonandmearedoneatthemoviescomegetusattheusualplac"... Charges of one dollar will be applied to your current phone bill.

I never saw any anime stuff show up at a real theater until about Princess Mononoke. Before that it was all underground with the occasional fan favorite at the art house.

Several reasons including tone and pacing.

Also who says the original is any better? I think some people give OG voice acting more credit than it deserves. They can't understand it, so they don't realize it sucks. Ya, sometimes a game will have its original language done properly and just phone in the others, but quite often the same care is spent on all languages meaning if one sucks, they all do. This is particularly true on newer games as we now live in a global world where hiring voice actors in another country is easy.

I mean, there was a point where dubs were horrible.

If you are talking about 1980's anime or kung fu flicks.

But that was also like 40 years ago. Times have changed.

Back