You guys have experience with turntables?

Pinipig523

[H]ard|Gawd
Anyone here has experience with turntables? If so, shout out some contenders as I am in full gear of searching for my own.

Thanks fellas.

Technics 1200's are good. They've been around for along time and are very durable. I would recommend them.

Thanks for the links....

I was thinking between the VPI ScoutMaster and the VPI Super ScoutMaster.

The Super ScoutMaster could probably be the last turntable I ever buy and this is why it intrigues the heck out of me. However, finances point towards the Scoutmaster as the ideal turntable for now... and I can upgrade it towards a Super Scoutmaster at a later date by adding accessories to it.

Anyone else got input?

I was looking for a connection between how to use a turntable with a computer audio setup.

If you are looking for pure audio (non-computer) equipment, this ain't the place.

I was looking for a connection between how to use a turntable with a computer audio setup.

If you are looking for pure audio (non-computer) equipment, this ain't the place.

Yeah, but it's all connected to my PC altogether... so how do you figure that? It's just an auxilliary component on the side.

I was just wondering if there was anyone who heard the two or some other good ones that I may not have thought of. I know for a fact that there are several people on this site who have much more experience than me.

Alright, so I got some pics...

Scoutmaster
vpiscoutmaster2.jpg

Super Scoutmaster
VPI_Super_big.jpg

The Super Scoutmaster is definitely the better of the two, but the Scoutmaster is no slouch as it is a regular Scout on steroids. I haven't heard either but I've heard my share of TTs... these are supposed to be real good. I'm sure that these being popular, someone has heard these on here.

Thoughts?

Here's my 2 cents:

I recorded some 33s to CDs for a friend using an old (early 90s) Magnavox turntable and an X-Fi Elite Pro. The quality of the songs turned out excellent. Perhaps an expensive turntable would produce better results but there will come a point of diminishing returns.

I'd hit up ebay for a good, older turntable if you have the inputs to support them. If you need something with USB output or some other modern output I don't think you'll find much under $100 US. You seem to be looking at some serious equipment so I take it you already have an extensive vinyl library. Good luck!

Technics 1200's are good. They've been around for along time and are very durable. I would recommend them.

1200s all the way!!
Very heavy and great at absorbing outside noise, interference and feedback.
I used to have 1200s a few years ago. Now i'm using the Vestax PDX-2000, excellent tracking but the sound isn't as good. If you're just playing records from your collection, try the Vestax BDT-2000 or CM-01.
Don't forget your needles either. I've had good experience with Shure needles, the M44-G has some of the cleanest sound I've used on the road and the Shure Whitelabel has some good reviews too. Both are known for minimal vinyl wear.
Anyway...thats my experience.
My Vestax's and cheap backup mixer.​
PICT0347.jpg

Also, I have these hooked up from the mixer to my soudcard via RCA to 1/8" wires. Using Creative Media Recorder (or whatever its called) to record to mp3 it sounds pretty good (only for the sake of jamming at work). I've noticed there's more depth in my vinyl rips then cd rips.

MithShrike said:
http://www.audiokarma.org/
The guys there are very helpful and are completely devoted to analog audio
Those guys have some crazy gear! Lots of vintage and audiophile stuff. :drool:

I'm looking into audiokarma... a lot of knowledgeable guys there.

Gotta pull the trigger soon... not sure if I'm excited or scared....

Thanks guys. I got my TT today, bought it last week and arrived today.

I'm going to set it up sometime later this week.... gotta study for a big exam and I promised myself that no audio toys until I finish.

:(

1200 w/ a Goldring or M447 with staight tonearm mod is what I used to use. 1200's have been around for 3 decades or so, with minior changes cosmetically and mechanically

Thanks sixthsense... but I already bought and took receipt/delivery of the table as of today. :)

Thanks sixthsense... but I already bought and took receipt/delivery of the table as of today. :)

Cool...pix?

@sixthsense: M44-7's are great! I got a good deal at GH for $100 for a pair. I don't like the finger-type needles. However...IMO the M44-G sounds better if you just "play" records.

Cool...pix?

@sixthsense: M44-7's are great! I got a good deal at GH for $100 for a pair. I don't like the finger-type needles. However...IMO the M44-G sounds better if you just "play" records.

Ahh, they're long gone now. I ebayed those modded 1200's for 700 each or so last year. I have a Vestax Samurize paired with normal 1200's and a Allen & Heath paired with HDX's

p1010043ft9.jpg

http://nuhdx.com/showthread.php?t=39

@sixthsense: M44-7's are great! I got a good deal at GH for $100 for a pair

You lucked out on that one, that is a good deal

I have a Vestax Samurize paired with normal 1200's and a Allen & Heath paired with HDX's
I can't find the Samurai anymore, i think Vestax stopped making them. Its too bad cuz those were powerful for the price.

You lucked out on that one, that is a good deal
Thanks, I got hold of the M44-G when Shure started importing them to the US again and they were like $80 each. When i bought the new decks, i talked the sales guy down for that price on the M44-7. After some dealing, i got 2 PDX-2000's for $350 each and the pair of shure needles for $100. I just signed up for the 2 year warranty and made the deal.

How do you like the HDX? I tried them at the store but couldn't get the right feel.

Well there are a few different things you can get Turntables for.

You can get turntables for, yaknow, mixing and scratching and doing that sort of live performance sort of thing.

Or you can get turntables for sound quality playback, to record your old "listening, not mixing" LP's to FLAC or some other lossless for archival purposes.

So which is it?

Technics 1200's I agree tried and tested built rock solid. From hip hop to raves to clubs all over the world they are the standard. Drop one down a flight of stairs I wouldn't be surprised if it still worked (other than the broken arm) they are great.

I can't find the Samurai anymore, i think Vestax stopped making them. Its too bad cuz those were powerful for the price.

Thanks, I got hold of the M44-G when Shure started importing them to the US again and they were like $80 each. When i bought the new decks, i talked the sales guy down for that price on the M44-7. After some dealing, i got 2 PDX-2000's for $350 each and the pair of shure needles for $100. I just signed up for the 2 year warranty and made the deal.

How do you like the HDX? I tried them at the store but couldn't get the right feel.

The HDX's are respectable in it's own right, it still can't compare to physical lifting the tonearm on a 1200 and forwarding to the break. Torque wise, it's on par with the 1200. You can see the Allen & Heath is in my garage, since we primarly use it for events. The feel is good, imo the HDX is unequaled in the CD player market with a 1200 feel ( since Technics messed up royally on the SLDZ). Although I primarly session on my Vestax, 1200's and Serato.

On a sidenote, I can record live sets on the HDX while I play. Which transfers to the SATA HD with a multitude of formats to choose from ogg,wav,mp3 etc

Back