You got to be kidding me. This is a nightmare! Visible Bug INSIDE monitor!

kindasmart

[H]ard|Gawd
So I'm sitting at the computer surfing the web, youtube, normal stuff and there's a small bug on my screen. I go to wipe it off. AND IT'S UNDER THE FRIGGEN SCREEN!

You got to be kidding me. This is a nightmare!

Now I have this black spot on my 43" screen that's 9 pixels in size! WTF.

I'm a sad panda right now. Downright depressed.

monitor-bug.JPG

monitor-bug2.JPG

monitor-bug3.JPG

Last edited:
o.0

Is there an air gap between the front of the display and the LCD itself, or is it just really bad luck?

I can honestly say I have never heard of this happening before. I don't even know how it could happen.

Maybe hit up YouTube and see if there are any videos for tearing down your model. May be an easy fix of just opening it up and dumping that thing out.

I had this recently with my U2711, I was pissed, thought it had been somehow fried by one of my lasers (this has happened with the VA TV >_<). The Dell had magically recovered last year from water ingress to LCD on the top by being left off for months.

But you probably want to hear what I did to fix the dust spot.
I tapped/banged pretty hard on and around the spot and it just fell through and went away - you shake the panel layering.
That said, yours does look like a bug (how in the hell?!), perhaps wait for it to dry out so it won't 'squish'.. you want it out in one piece if possible.

Good luck! Try it warm and cold to see if gap increases.

There are bugs that are very attracted to LCD panels I'm told, and can really cause a lot of damage.

Yeah it's the following morning and I'm still pretty bummed out about it. 99.99% sure it's a bug and not just dust. I did google "bug in computer monitor" and there is a frightening number of hits about said issue. I can't tell if it's behind the panel in front of the back-light or in front of the panel but behind the outer protective layer. Who knew there were air gaps between various layers. Since it was moving when I tried to swipe it I think I "bent" the outer layer (or panel?) enough to kill and maybe? squish said bug. Lots of tapping and bumping of monitor and yeah it's stuck.

I'm a bit uncomfortable opening up monitor to wipe away said bug. And the thought of RMA'ing this huge 43" monitor seems like a nightmare. I wonder if I paid for the on-site Dell tech support. Better not mention bug and just mention dead pixels. /sad-sigh

Honestly if you have an expensive, or at least "expensive for you," monitor check out the size of the vent holes on your monitor and maybe tape on some no-see-em ultra-fine mesh screens to prevent bug infiltration. Crazy.

I must have been a really, really, REALLY horrible person in a past life. F me.

You could probably get it out of there with some canned air if you just pop the case off. You don't have much to lose.

Reactions: noko
like this
this is probably a ridiculous question, but is there the tiniest chance it's been there all along (and was a manufacturing 'bug') and this is simply the first time you've noticed it?

I started laughing out loud when I saw this. Thanks for brightening my day. I'm sorry for your frustration - but it sure is a funny situation.

I once had a Ant crawling around inside the monitor. I could see it moving around. It ended making its way out eventually or died and fell of. No harm done.

I always knew Dell monitors were buggy so no surprise here 🤣

Take it to a TV repair shop, they could probably disassemble it and get the bug out.

This might be a hard fix getting to the lcd part might be near impossible depending on how the LCD is designed.

I've heard of people using suction cups to open up the gap a bit and let the bug fall. I've also seen firsthand a bug fall away out of view in a TV after it was handled and transported to a new location. Good luck getting it out.

How about a air compressor and blow that sucker ant out? Not sure if there are any holes on the bottom or top.

No joke, last year I had my cat's fur get inside my monitor between the panel and backlight. Don't try to open it--it'll just get worse. Trust me.

This is surprising. Never had anything come in between the screen like that. That's a bummer.

Update: tl;dr = Bug dropped down to bottom row of pixels. Screen is good. <happy-dance>

My nightmare has ended. I can stop crying now. Depression is lifting. :)

I have been tapping and banging on my monitor screen harder than I ever thought I would or should these last few troubling days and nights. So after dinner I'm sitting at my computer and once again bang on my screen. HOLE-E-SHITE!!! The bug moved. Insta-joy. OK. Stop and figure this out.

Crap, bug only moved an inch and has stopped moving. I continue to tap with varying degrees of firmness and distance from bug to find the sweet spot to get him moving again. Come on you little fucker move some more. Oh NICE, it's moving good now and dropping to the bottom edge of the screen. YYYYYYYYYEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bug is now on bottom edge of the screen. I no longer have an, IMPOSSIBLE NOT TO SEE, 9-12 pixel dead spot on the middle left of my screen.

A tiny disappointment in that the bug is still on the screen but only on bottom two rows of pixels. I don't hide my taskbar so I just moved a taskbar icon that has a black square background over bug. Gone.

THANK GOD. The evil is defeated.

Two pics below. First is where the bug used to be. It's still possible, but you can barely make out the old bug location. It's about 16 pixels above and a couple pixels right of the cursor. Takes a few seconds to find the old smear on a pure white background.

Second pic is the bugs new location at bottom of monitor. All but invisible covered by the taskbar icon now.

I hope you all were able to enjoy your popcorn during my mental breakdown, but it's over now.

And BTW, thanks for reading. ;)

old bug spot.JPG

Edit:
Above pic doesn't show spot much. I converted it to B&W and played with brightness and contrast a bit. Circled spot. Doesn't look much better. Anyways you can see the spot, if you really look at screen. Casual glance and you don't see spot.

edit_old bug spot.jpg

new bug spot.JPG

Last edited:
Can you take a vacuum to the bottom part of the monitor?

I can feel vents on the bottom of the monitor so I'll give it a shot and let you all know.
Taco wonders if cooling the screen in the fridge will make everything shrink and cause the rest drop out?

Kindasmart wonders if a 43" monitor will actually fit in a fridge?

Back