You Don't Need An iPhone

HardOCP News

[H] News
I am not posting this article because I like being a dick to Apple. I am posting this article so I can share this horrendous picture. I don't know how Tim Cook is keeping a straight face. Somebody please, kill it with fire. :D

It was a worthless article, but some of the fanboys in the comments section were just as cringeworthy.

You also don't need to post, yet here we are.

;)

Phones aren't just phones. They're DAPs, Cameras, mini computers and so on. I don't think this iPhone is worth getting if you have a 6s, but maybe if you have a 6 series it is (for the extra ram) or perhaps the better camera. For older iPhone owners, add the bigger screen, cpu and perhaps force touch (or whatever it's called). As a rule, i think it's nuts to buy a new phone every year (even if you can afford it), but change is happening fast enough that upgrading every 2-3 years definitely makes sense, IMO.

Phones aren't just phones. They're DAPs, Cameras, mini computers and so on. I don't think this iPhone is worth getting if you have a 6s, but maybe if you have a 6 series it is (for the extra ram) or perhaps the better camera. For older iPhone owners, add the bigger screen, cpu and perhaps force touch (or whatever it's called). As a rule, i think it's nuts to buy a new phone every year (even if you can afford it), but change is happening fast enough that upgrading every 2-3 years definitely makes sense, IMO.

Even at 2-3 years it's not necessary.

I plan to keep 6S until it literally breaks by doing one simple thing: Not updating the software.

And I'm with Steve on this one....what the hell is that?

iu

Reactions: MoFoQ
like this
I'd tap it. Take away the huge bow (and most likely the fucking psycho crazy looney part)....

Why do you NEED an iPhone? You don't. There are a ton of alternatives. If you are looking for a phone, camera, etc. device, there are a lot of options. iPhone is just one of many. It's a great device if you do choose it. It works just fine. Is there anything an iPhone will do that another phone can't do? Maybe running a few different apps (which a ton are on Android, too... 6 useful ones are on Windows Phone.).

I like the iPhone. It's a nice phone. The Windows Phone wouldn't cut it for me (great phone, just lacking a lot). So, my needs were met with the iPhone. If work allowed Android, I'd probably go with that, though.

meh.

iPhone was a great option at the beginning of the full touchscreen smartphone era and now it's just another expensive flagship. I liked the iPhone when I had one, but I'm not considering another one right now.

I had to defend the author a bit, even if it was a whiny article. Once phones hit quad core ages ago how much more responsive would I possibly need one to be for phone calls, texts, emails and music?

Only flagship phone I owned was $250 Nexus 4 when google had that price drop.

Ahhh, senility already kicking in. Starting to get set in my ways with age. :p

I guess I am missing the problem with the picture.

but why iphone over any other brand. All you have said is that you should buy a new phone because newer phones are faster.

I had to defend the author a bit, even if it was a whiny article. Once phones hit quad core ages ago how much more responsive would I possibly need one to be for phone calls, texts, emails and music?

Only flagship phone I owned was $250 Nexus 4 when google had that price drop.

Ahhh, senility already kicking in. Starting to get set in my ways with age. :p
I actually found the 6 a bit sluggish after a year. The 6s+ was definitely better. Now maybe that's an issue with iOS9, but if you had 9, then the 6s/+ was better. This time around, I'm sticking with what I've got. Let's see what the iPhone 8 is like next year.

correct me if I'm wrong both the iphone and Android run some form of Linux?
I don't know of any Apple product that runs on linux. OS X was apparently based on BSD. I have no idea what iOS is based on.

Reactions: MoFoQ
like this
I guess I am missing the problem with the picture.
but why iphone over any other brand. All you have said is that you should buy a new phone because newer phones are faster.

Most people aren't going to switch their platform. And in some cases, developers don't even develop for the other OS. I recall some saying they didn't do Android, because people don't buy software on the platform (kinda the same reason why many didn't develop for Mac OS back in the day, though that was almost exclusively piracy, but no sales = no sales).

I may change some day, but I have no real desire to. I did android and switched to Apple at work and decided I liked it. Maybe someday there will be something Samsung does that makes me switch, but otherwise, why bother? It's not like the latest high end Samsung is cheap.

It is actually very sad. Apple hasn't been this stagnant, innovation wise, since 1995. Profits wise they are making out like bandits.

The author of the article is correct in a whiny bitch sort of way. We end up buying a lot of shit that we don't need. What's his point? If I could get a Tesla S P90D today I sure is hell would. Do I need one? No.

I will get a seven as soon as they are available because my company will pay for it. Do I need one? No. My 6s still works fine. I use my phone constantly both at work and at home. It has value to me so perhaps the increase in battery life will be good for me.

What he and a lot of non apple users miss is that Apple is an ecosystem. In addition to my gaming PCs I have Macbooks, iPhones, AppleTVs, and Apple network devices that hook to my stereo gear. They all work together, and they just work. Always. If I really wanted to there is a slick home automation platform too.

If that stuff is not important to you get whatever makes you feel good about yourself and move on.

The article is just click bait.

(p.s. no one doubts you post this stuff to be a dick)

correct me if I'm wrong both the iphone and Android run some form of Linux?

Linux is just the kernel and is but one tiny part of the entire OS platform. Look at it like this: an automotive manufacturer can produce one engine that's used in both their cars and their trucks. The car is going to do some things than the truck won't be able to do and vice versa. It's what built around the Linux kernel that differentiates Android from Ubuntu.

I don't know of any Apple product that runs on linux. OS X was apparently based on BSD. I have no idea what iOS is based on.
iOS started as a modified OS X, so it's BSD as well.

Reading Gizmodo just gave me cancer, then I looked at the comment section there and got A.I.D.S.

I wish they would have been shut down, the whole gawker lot of em.

For some reason non Apple users seem to be really bothered by the fact they don't have Apple products. I wonder why.

Hmm... I'd rather keep my grenade, err I mean Samsung Galaxy Note 7 over the IPhone 7. But there's going to be no doubt that many will upgrade from the 6 to 7. Heck, being an android fan person, I upgraded from a HTC M8 to the Note 7. I really had no reason to upgrade The M8 did everything I needed it to do.

Is it just me, or does Tim Cook's proportions look really out of whack in that shot as well? Reminds me of Wallace, from Wallace and Gromit...
Wallace-and-Gromit.jpg

Most people aren't going to switch their platform. And in some cases, developers don't even develop for the other OS. I recall some saying they didn't do Android, because people don't buy software on the platform (kinda the same reason why many didn't develop for Mac OS back in the day, though that was almost exclusively piracy, but no sales = no sales).

I may change some day, but I have no real desire to. I did android and switched to Apple at work and decided I liked it. Maybe someday there will be something Samsung does that makes me switch, but otherwise, why bother? It's not like the latest high end Samsung is cheap.

I can't think of an app that is only ios that wasn't something extremely obscure. Now I have a Windows phone and there is nothing for that, but 96% of apps I see are ios and google play.

and I know plenty of people that have moved away. Back in the day of iPhone 4 my work replaced all flip phones with iPhone 4 or for the later batches the 4 S. Today, I have a Windows phone, half the people have switched to android. Anyone in my family that had an iPhone has moved to an android phone. So people will move.

And I do not need an ANDROID Phone either, your point? No, my Windows Phone is not dead, it is working beautifully. :) However, I still prefer the phone itself without a case but, I do not carry my phone in my pocket.

So no, I do NOT need an Android phone and I do NOT need an iPhone. (Maybe in a couple of years but not today.) However, I will not spend more than $300 on a phone so, thank you guys for subsidizing the super expensive prices so I can pay less later on. :)

For some reason non Apple users seem to be really bothered by the fact they don't have Apple products. I wonder why.

It's not any different than those of us around here that get bothered by not having the latest and greatest hardware, even going so far as to be early adopters of new tech.

I dunno, I think he made his point.

He doesn't get paid very well.

Excellent article. Good rant against mindless consumerism. Adam and Eve are a nice touch. But boy, are the whining masses touchy about being told where they can stuff their new toys. Sheesh!

I can't think of an app that is only ios that wasn't something extremely obscure. Now I have a Windows phone and there is nothing for that, but 96% of apps I see are ios and google play.

and I know plenty of people that have moved away. Back in the day of iPhone 4 my work replaced all flip phones with iPhone 4 or for the later batches the 4 S. Today, I have a Windows phone, half the people have switched to android. Anyone in my family that had an iPhone has moved to an android phone. So people will move.
Even if that's true, I'd likely have to buy the app again if I switch platforms (in either direction). If I've spent a hundred bucks on apps, do I really want to do it again just to switch to iOS or Android? I don't think so.

And while I'm not going to track down apps that are only on one system, they exist. On the Android side there's Touchdown. yes, there's one for iOS, but last I checked it was barely a shadow of the Android version. I think you can assume the reverse is also true. I can remember a few years ago (a bit before he died), Roger Ebert answered people who kept asking why some app he had wasn't available on Android and the developer said they didn't think they'd make money on that platform (see piracy/unwillingness to pay for apps).

I'd be shocked if there wasn't music apps for iOS that aren't on Android, because honestly almost every working musician I've known is an Apple customer (generally PC, Phone and Tablet).

I plan to keep 6S until it literally breaks by doing one simple thing: Not updating the software.
picard1.jpg

This is why we can't have nice things.

I know Apple doesn't necessarily always keep up with security patches, but disregarding the ones you DO get is irresponsible, and harms everyone on th einternet, not just you.

No matter what the device, no matter what the operating system, it is always absolutely crucial to immediately patch everything!

I'd tap it. Take away the huge bow (and most likely the fucking psycho crazy looney part)....

Why do you NEED an iPhone? You don't. There are a ton of alternatives. If you are looking for a phone, camera, etc. device, there are a lot of options. iPhone is just one of many. It's a great device if you do choose it. It works just fine. Is there anything an iPhone will do that another phone can't do? Maybe running a few different apps (which a ton are on Android, too... 6 useful ones are on Windows Phone.).

I like the iPhone. It's a nice phone. The Windows Phone wouldn't cut it for me (great phone, just lacking a lot). So, my needs were met with the iPhone. If work allowed Android, I'd probably go with that, though.
that photo is Maddie Ziegler next to Tim Cooke. I think she is 13 or 14 years old.

Back