You Don't Have To Be Okay With Violence In Video Games

Sure. You also don't have to buy games you don't care for. This isn't a call to become some sort of social justice warrior.

Violence in video games is overdone. Personally, I believe in the "make love not war" mantra, and I demand a sexy version of Portal, World of Whorecraft, Skyrimjob, etc.

You don't have to play violent video games. Buy the other ones. Fuck the mob's censorship.

You don't have to play violent video games. Buy the other ones. Fuck the mob's censorship.

No you see, society needs to become more homogenous in thought, thus supporting some nebulous diversity we all need.

Don't you see????

I not ashamed that I like certain things. Doesn't matter. I never apologize for myself. Am I obnoxious, always offending, etc? No .....

Don't going around saying sorry to people for what you like.

Too many pussies out there, especially big business that have started to hold the hands of gay / lesbian because they are scared to lose out on the ol'mighty dollar

My 6 year old daughter is tougher and more self-secure than this moron.

Didn't we already have this discussion in 1992 when Mortal Kombat came out?

It is really as simple as this:

Nobody is forcing anyone to play anything. One does not NEED to buy or play anything that he or she does not want to. PERIOD.

I'm not into some types of violence like I've said before. Other types don't bother me at all. I'm fine with making my own decisions on what I want to play. I don't feel embarrassed one way or the other. I don't have to be embarrassed for playing a game with violence, and I don't have to be embarrassed if I pass on one because I find it over the top in a direction I'm not into. I'm not into torcher scenes. If I know ahead of time that a movie/game/whatever is full of them, or has lengthy sequences like that, then I'll skip it. I don't mind creeping up behind someone and slitting their throat in Dishonored though, blowing people up with rockets in Quake/Doom/etc. I don't mind aliens ripping people up either. It's completely context sensitive.

Why people can't make informed decisions and decide what's right for THEMSELVES or THEIR FAMILIES is beyond me...

.... people... pfff...

Umm, violence has been around since Wolfenstein. The graphics have only gotten better.

Remember Mortal Kombat in the 90s? that's what? like 22 going on 23 years ago? Punching heads off, ripping peoples' heads off with spine still attached, ripping peoples beating hearts out, nut shots by Johnny cage?

Remember Carmageddon? Primal Rage? DOOM with all of it's demonic and satanic imagry????

This guy is a quarter century too late to be complaining about violence in video games. Dude needs to grow a pair so it gives Johnny something to punch instead of a fleshy sack with no contents.

Didn't we already have this discussion in 1992 when Mortal Kombat came out?

Same shit, different era.

I was embarrassed by how the trailer made me squirm.

kJ6jsYb.jpg

This guy is a lunatic:

Am I getting soft? I've played through a majority of the Assassin's Creed games. I've stabbed plenty of necks in what must be 100+ hours of combined playtime in the the Crusades, the Renaissance, the American Revolution and the Golden Age of Piracy. Something's different about this footage.

I partly blame the packaging. Combining all of the kills into such a brief window has the numbing effect of a supercut, a critical format that strings together an exhaustive number of clips to prove a point./QUOTE]

So it's ok to kill lots of NPCs, just not in such a short time frame. :rolleyes:
What the fuck.

This guy is a lunatic:

Am I getting soft? I've played through a majority of the Assassin's Creed games. I've stabbed plenty of necks in what must be 100+ hours of combined playtime in the the Crusades, the Renaissance, the American Revolution and the Golden Age of Piracy. Something's different about this footage.

I partly blame the packaging. Combining all of the kills into such a brief window has the numbing effect of a supercut, a critical format that strings together an exhaustive number of clips to prove a point./QUOTE]

So it's ok to kill lots of NPCs, just not in such a short time frame. :rolleyes:
What the fuck.

If he doesn't like the violence itself, fine. Explaining it like that though makes zero sense.

Ah, another SJW

"I hate violent videogames, instead of not playing them, I'm going to write a huge article about how bad they are"

Or just don't play them?

Critical reading skills FTW...

The trailer is misleading. I know when Assassin's Creed Unity is released, this isn't the game I'll get. It will be about movement and daring escapes and history and spectacular set pieces and drama. That's the game I want to play.

TFA isn't saying the game is too violent. It's saying that the marketing is. That they're taking a game with a whole bunch of facets and boiling it down to two minutes of dudes getting stabbed in the throat.

Long story short, stop taking things that aren't Halo and marketing them like they are.

Maybe Ubi needs to trade marketing teams with Activision's CoD guys. There's a franchise that's marketed by it's sweeping set pieces (with Kevin Spacey, and his dog!) when we all know that its gameplay really is two minutes of stabbing dudes in the throat...

Quite awesome.. Except the meme' should not have an apostrophe.

With the apostrophe, it is either possessive or "vagina is"

lol, you're right, but I just found it and thought it was funny, I didn't make it. ;)

Maybe Ubi needs to trade marketing teams with Activision's CoD guys. There's a franchise that's marketed by it's sweeping set pieces (with Kevin Spacey, and his dog!) when we all know that its gameplay really is two minutes of stabbing dudes in the throat...

Nice! :D

Critical reading skills FTW...

TFA isn't saying the game is too violent. It's saying that the marketing is. That they're taking a game with a whole bunch of facets and boiling it down to two minutes of dudes getting stabbed in the throat.

Long story short, stop taking things that aren't Halo and marketing them like they are.

Ya it is quite apparent that most of the half-wits that posted, didn't read the article. Steve included by his own admission.

Wait, the game is called "Assassin's Creed".

What the actual fuck was this moron expecting?

Carebears?

My Little Pony?

It made him squirm? Well, don't watch the evening news, or he'll piss his pants. He doesn't have to play violent video games. If he can't take it, that's fine. But, don't ruin it for everyone else. Some people don't like spicy foods, but they aren't telling people they can't do it. They just don't partake in those foods. Simple.

Ya it is quite apparent that most of the half-wits that posted, didn't read the article. Steve included by his own admission.
The title of the article is click bait, plain and simple. If it actually described the point he was trying to make, everyone would have ignored it. While I agree with the point that marketing is a problem, the author is still bouncing around the issue with trigger words and phrases. The result is his point is ultimately lost and he comes off sounding like a whiny bitch.

I hate americanized marketing so damn much. Every time I see a trailer for a movie to be released in the US that I have a slight interest in, I go searching for the international trailer so I can find out what the movie is actually about. Tired of being bombarded by sub-bass and music video cuts and insertion of action just for the sake of grabbing the attention of the average american with a short attention span... I remember seeing Michael Clayton in the theatre and overhearing people after it was over saying things like "I thought this was supposed to be an action movie."

The title of the article is click bait, plain and simple. If it actually described the point he was trying to make, everyone would have ignored it. While I agree with the point that marketing is a problem, the author is still bouncing around the issue with trigger words and phrases. The result is his point is ultimately lost and he comes off sounding like a whiny bitch.

I hate americanized marketing so damn much. Every time I see a trailer for a movie to be released in the US that I have a slight interest in, I go searching for the international trailer so I can find out what the movie is actually about. Tired of being bombarded by sub-bass and music video cuts and insertion of action just for the sake of grabbing the attention of the average american with a short attention span... I remember seeing Michael Clayton in the theatre and overhearing people after it was over saying things like "I thought this was supposed to be an action movie."

Marketing is just the nature of the beast ... the goal of any entertainment media (including games) are sales ... as long as they don't flat out lie then anything that increases sales is fair game (including cherry picking visuals to enhance audience interest) ... I play few action games these days so I don't care how accurate the advertising is or how balanced the game play is as long as the game is fun for a reasonable length of time (20-40 hours for an Action or FPS game) ... if I want more time from a game than that I look to other genres like strategy and RPGs

argh. one of those days... type the exact definition.. minus the "don't" word.

Ummm.... i'mi pretty sure you just typed the EXACT definition of Marketing (just ask them, or read any marketing material/show/ad/etc). ;)

It all comes down to what you consider to be a lie (and that can vary a lot legally from one product to another) ... omitting negative details about a product might be more disingenuous (in the case of games) rather than a lie ... and lots of products exaggerate how they describe performance or features (highlighting the action sequences to make it look like an intense action title when there is only about 10% of the game that does that wouldn't generally be a lie, just an exaggeration) ... However, claiming a game runs on a Mac when it doesn't (or only runs in Windows mode, if you have Windows installed) would generally be considered a lie ... it is tricky, which is why many people wait for the products to launch and check reviews from actual players to see what a title can or cannot do

Wait, the game is called "Assassin's Creed".

What the actual fuck was this moron expecting?

Carebears?

My Little Pony?

Aaaaaayup.

"Assassin" being the key word that would indicate the focus of the game is that of playing the role of an assassin who.......gasp........assassinates people.

I know I don't like certain genres or styles of games, so I (again.......gasp...) don't buy them. If enough people get sick of AC, or feel that there is too much violence, they will vote with their wallets and not buy the game.

Aaaaaayup.

"Assassin" being the key word that would indicate the focus of the game is that of playing the role of an assassin who.......gasp........assassinates people.

I know I don't like certain genres or styles of games, so I (again.......gasp...) don't buy them. If enough people get sick of AC, or feel that there is too much violence, they will vote with their wallets and not buy the game.

That's not how it works!

People will continue to buy the game, continue to squirm more and more from the violence, and then go write about it on a blog somewhere to complain.

:D

Back