You Can Try the Xbox One X at Best Buy This Weekend

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Best Buy will begin holding retail demos of Microsoft's new superpowered console this weekend, offering up Madden 18, Forza 7, FIFA 17, Minecraft, Final Fantasy XV, Super Lucky’s Tale, and Rocket League in 4K. As of right now, the demos will be available at 40 Best Buy stores in 20 cities, and they'll be coming back for four more unspecified weekends throughout the fall.

These sorts of demos are absolutely essential for selling the Xbox One X. Generational console leaps make for good ads: ideally, the graphics are improved in such a way that they can be easily communicated just by throwing up some impressive-looking scenes on TV or Youtube, and they shouldn't need any special explanation for why they look good. The 4K upgrade that is that Xbox One X is a bit trickier: it's difficult to communicate outside of ideal circumstances, and TV ads are all but useless in a world where nobody is going to be watching ads on a 4K TV and a 4K broadcast.

I preoorded my first console lol. ... just because with kids its hard to sit in another room and play on a computer.

Hopefully they have it on a nice big HDR or OLED set instead of some cheapo 4K TV to really show it off.

I preoorded my first console lol. ... just because with kids its hard to sit in another room and play on a computer.

Sounds like a good use for the Steam Link or Shield TV. But I game on consoles as well (mostly Sony exclusives here lately) a lot for that same reason. With the exception of playing Gears multiplayer with my son, I have a One S that hasn't been touched in months since it has no exclusives; same games are on PC and play better (than One X too), so I don't see much point in picking up the One X between my PC and other consoles.

Sounds like a win-win for Best Buy: Microsoft gets to sell their consoles by showing it off in the ideal conditions while Best Buy gets the chance to upsell buyers on their shitty install services if they also choose to get a 4K HDR TV.

Hopefully they have it on a nice big HDR or OLED set instead of some cheapo 4K TV to really show it off.

Sounds like a good use for the Steam Link or Shield TV. But I game on consoles as well (mostly Sony exclusives here lately) a lot for that same reason. With the exception of playing Gears multiplayer with my son, I have a One S that hasn't been touched in months since it has no exclusives; same games are on PC and play better (than One X too), so I don't see much point in picking up the One X between my PC and other consoles.

Or you know... you could play with your kids and spend time with them.

Average xbox user > latest.png

While you are there, be sure to try out Wipeout Omega on PS4 Pro...and Horizon Zero Dawn. XB1X has great hardware, just no software worth a $500 outlay for said hardware. PS4 Pro might be weaker ON PAPER, but when you look at the GAMES that it plays, it's a FAR better value for $100 less!

Or you know... you could play with your kids and spend time with them.

PUBG. I've only done team, but will be trying squad this weekend. Stupid internet is being fucky. My kids are good, and it's one of the few FPS's I'm good at. I love the Xbox, but I suck horribly at FPS's on consoles. At least the fast paced ones. I'm great on PC, though. Single player, slower paced games (not so much FPS's, but shooters like Last of Us, Uncharted, Just Cause, etc.) I'm fine, too.

I need to upgrade my TV before I get a console that's designed for 4K. The Optoma looks good, but I want the UHD65, but it has shit lag for gaming. So, I'm waiting until next years offerings unless something cool comes out this year with low latency.

I'll get in when it's $350 or so. :D Great looking console, but I just want to make sure I can really utilize it. I already have a couple Xbox One's in the house.

While you are there, be sure to try out Wipeout Omega on PS4 Pro...and Horizon Zero Dawn. XB1X has great hardware, just no software worth a $500 outlay for said hardware. PS4 Pro might be weaker ON PAPER, but when you look at the GAMES that it plays, it's a FAR better value for $100 less!
As a day one Pro owner GTFO with this post here.

As a day one Pro owner GTFO with this post here.

If you own a pro, then you KNOW that the PS4 pro has TONS more games available in 4k than the Xb1X will EVER have. YOU "GTFO", you are obviously biased and incapable of a rational discussion.

Back