You Can Now Run Windows 95 Inside Windows (or Linux or macOS)

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
Slacker developer Felix Rieseberg has developed a nice little app that allows you to run Windows 95 on Windows, macOS, and Linux. It weighs in at a whole 129MB. However, a problem with Internet Explorer has been noted and you won't be able to use that to connect to the internet. Regardless, this is a neat little app and it might be something you want to play with a little bit to bring back the old days. You can get it on GitHub.

I briefly kicked the app's tires on a Windows 10 machine and, well, it's Windows 95 as I remember it. All the old applications are there, like Minesweeper, Solitaire, and Media Player, to name a few.

How fortuitous since it is the anniversary of windows 95's launch day.

http%3A%2F%2Fa.amz.mshcdn.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2015%2F08%2Fwindows95small-6.jpg

Thank you Windows 95 for making 8M memory machines the standard and affordable so that powerhouse Linux systems could be obtained on the cheap.

Ah, the simpler times. Do I need to use a virtual modem to virtually dial up into AOL?

Win95 looked so small on my 32" monitor. Had to close it shortly.

I miss the old days of installing Win95 and fighting the problems then beat them to get PC up running smoothly.

I believe Windows 95 was a breakthrough. Even though it still had DOS under the hood, no more worrying about EMM386 and memmaker to configure conventional, upper, extended, and expanded memory. No more 8.3 file naming limitations. Try sorting a music library using rolli~01.mp3, rolli~02.mp3 ... rolli~99.mp3

I guess this is good news, as long as no one posts that video of Steve Ballmer and Bill Gates dancing for the Win95 launch. I get embarrassed just watching that.

Ah the good old days when you had to call to get hardware vendors to mail you a floppy with drivers.

Speaking of that, one of my favorite games in those days was Redneck Rampage, outstanding FPS for its day. Well the devs made replacement wav files for the audio in the game that were way more adults only. They called it the "Cuss Pack". You had to send away a check and they would send you a floppy disk with the replacement files.

That's how they got around any issues with the game being on store shelves in the era when games were under heavy scrutiny and did age verification, plus DLC wasn't a think. It was Mail-Away Content.

I still have the zip file with all the audio, it's in a folder of my few remaining bits of that era that still work on a modern OS.

I prefer Windows 93. Look it up if you haven't experienced the wonder!

One of the companies I do part time work for is a civil engineering outfit that has a very old App they wish they could still use that was load on a Server 2000 machine. Now if I can find an app like this that will run XP, so I can run the App in comparability mod for Server 2000, I'll make them pretty happy.

Ah the good old days when you had to call to get hardware vendors to mail you a floppy with drivers.

Wow I never did that. Used BBS's mostly, or usenet. The internet was pretty young back then but you could find some drivers on there.

One of the companies I do part time work for is a civil engineering outfit that has a very old App they wish they could still use that was load on a Server 2000 machine. Now if I can find an app like this that will run XP, so I can run the App in comparability mod for Server 2000, I'll make them pretty happy.

VMware is free for personal use, so is Virtual Box. You can find win xp ISO's on the net, who knows it might still be on the MS digital river ftp servers.

I prefer Virtual Box for this type of messing around, or for single-VM type things like my Windows 10 VM on my Macbook for example for my design software. It works very well, and requires very little setup, and no licensing hoops to jump through. Anything more than that though, I use VMWare.

Just bought it about a week ago off Ebay for $13, still sealed in the box with plastic film. I also purchased Windows 98 SE also sealed in the box.
IMG_0513.jpg

Just bought it about a week ago off Ebay for $13, still sealed in the box with plastic film. I also purchased Windows 98 SE also sealed in the box.
View attachment 98821

What are you going to upgrade from!?!?!?!? DOS 6.22? DOS 5.0? Windows 3.1? Windows for Workgroups 3.11? I must know!!

I would have held out for a good OSR2 disc. :D

What are you going to upgrade from!?!?!?!? DOS 6.22? DOS 5.0? Windows 3.1? Windows for Workgroups 3.11? I must know!!

Nothing, they both are staying in the box.

I still have WFW 3.11 on floppies somewhere, LOL

Agree about 95b-OSR2 . FAT32 was a big deal back then, what with those massive 1-2gb hard drives of the day. Come to think of it, I may still have a 2gb WD ide hard drive in the closet as well. Guess I need to do some housecleaning, LOL

How fortuitous since it is the anniversary of windows 95's launch day.

I dragged my Dad (or he dragged me) to the CompUSA on launch night. I got a free Windows 95 for dummies mini book out of it. I think there were some decent prizes if you showed up earlier, though. We got our P75 Compaq a few months earlier, because it came with Windows 3.1, and would ship the 95 upgrade for free -- in case it was crap, we had somewhere to go back to. IMHO, Win95 was not crap, but we did upgrade to 16MB ram PDQ.

I still have WFW 3.11 on floppies somewhere, LOL

Agree about 95b-OSR2 . FAT32 was a big deal back then, what with those massive 1-2gb hard drives of the day. Come to think of it, I may still have a 2gb WD ide hard drive in the closet as well. Guess I need to do some housecleaning, LOL
Heck my first hard drive was like 40MB, no GB just MB!

VMware is free for personal use, so is Virtual Box. You can find win xp ISO's on the net, who knows it might still be on the MS digital river ftp servers.

My user has a hard time with email. His eyes would roll up in his skull if I showed him the vclient app.

Back