You Can Now Put Windows 98 on Your Wrist

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
There are myriad things you can do with a Raspberry Pi, and this guy decided to turn one into a Windows 98 smartwatch. He has posted a tutorial on how to make one yourself, but I don’t want to be reminded of my Aptiva ever again.

I have always had somewhat of a soft-spot for Windows 98, despite it driving me insane back in the day on my old Pentium II system with 64mb RAM and using some god awful on-board graphics. But these days I don’t HAVE to suffer it as my only source of computing; which, somehow makes me want to go back and use it – I’ve built my own dream Windows 98 PC that I like to fire up every now and then and I love it. I also love emulation, the idea of running an operating system on virtual hardware? That’s awesome. It’s like the Matrix, or something. On top of this I love wearable/small tech and nowadays I have the ability to make things like this. So I thought, wouldn’t it be ridiculous and awesome to have Windows 98 on my wrist?

Reactions: N4CR
like this
I'd love a nice BX motherboard and a modded slotket to stuff my 1.13Ghz P!!! Tualatin into under Windows 98. A 3dfx Voodoo 3 would be the icing on the cake!

Good days, when overclocking was a method of getting more for less as opposed to showing off your e-wang.

I'd love a nice BX motherboard and a modded slotket to stuff my 1.13Ghz P!!! Tualatin into under Windows 98. A 3dfx Voodoo 3 would be the icing on the cake!

Good days, when overclocking was a method of getting more for less as opposed to showing off your e-wang.

Just need my X800XT and you're running an unbeatable beast W98 rig xD Oh man when OCing was like winning the lottery, you never really knew what you were going to get or even if you could OC it full stop!

I am a strong supporter of W98SE over W98 though. That USB support! Wireless even! I remember using PCMCIA 802.11a/b WLAN cards growing up, fucking hell...

Just need my X800XT and you're running an unbeatable beast W98 rig xD Oh man when OCing was like winning the lottery, you never really knew what you were going to get or even if you could OC it full stop!

How good was it! I had a P!!! 667 that I overclocked to 800mhz, I upgraded that for a P!!! 1Ghz that overclocked 8Mhz and I had a P!!! Tialatin 1.2 that went right up to 1.6Ghz showing it's heels to the latest P4's! Those were the days.

But why would I, when I got these many option for smart watches?

The size and cabling makes me choke and then some but hey, there were a lot of cool games back then.

How's the V.A.T.S. on that thing? I mean, I've got the Sniper, Concentrated Fire, and Grim Reaper's Sprint perks, so I need something to put them to good practice. Thing needs a built-in bottle opener, because there's nothing greater than cracking open a cold Nuka-Cola while icing dickheads from the comfort of my own porch. You may think that's crazy, but War...War Never Changes.

The question here is.... Why would you really want to?

The last time I came across 95/98/2K(yeah I know 2K was different) was about 2 years ago. I had to break off the rust to figure out what was going on since the last time I even used a 98 machine was about 12 years ago. The only reason was for a software package the mechanics in the shop used for the computer systems in heavy equipment. The only laptop that couple work on the older systems needed to be Win2K or below. I think that laptop was dead or die shortly after I left there. We had it on life support. The rest of the shop and office ran on XP Pro. I digress. I run into XP still from time to time. The software I work with now, works on XP pro machines but is officially unsupported. This means if the software company needs to come in to verify an issue, they are going to want Windows 10 or newer. Even Vista, 7, and series 8 they say nope the OS needs to be updated first. Some customers keep these old boxes alive due to the hardware on them can only be run by these boxes like first and second generation vinyl cutting equipment. Once the boxes die, their hardware dies with it.

Back