You Can Now Purchase the New Microsoft Classic IntelliMouse for $40

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
The rumors that Microsoft could be releasing a modern take on the IntelliMouse have turned out to be true, as a modern version of the Microsoft Classic IntelliMouse is now available at the Microsoft Store online for $40. The mouse keeps the same classic look and feel but adds in modern improvements such as more precise tracking and reliable button action.

It’s a wired mouse, meaning you can quickly and easily connect the mouse to your PC via USB to get into all the clicking action. Please be aware that customization of buttons is only available on Windows 10 Pro, Windows 10 Home, Windows 8.1, and Windows 8. Customization is not available on Windows 10 S because a software download is required for customization.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/sto...ouse/94k0pmt1cmfw?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks! Was wondering when these would be released. This will be a good Christmas gift for my dad.

I liked my old Intellimouse Explorer 3. I wish these were wireless.

I’m still using my 3.0. Great mouse. I’ll buy one of these as a backup just in case.

If they'd reboot the Intellimouse Optical I'd be very interested (as I've been using one for almost 15 years now and still going), but I was never a fan of the non-symmetrical style (disclaimer: I am right handed). I just prefer the design of the IMO and having a button on each side but not two buttons along the one side, just my personal preference on things.

But it's nice to see someone at Microsoft taking a minute or two to think "You know, we really did well with those mice of ours even if we didn't directly make them (Kensington made the original Intellimouse and many other models for Microsoft), let's do it again..."

I hope it's successful and sells like crazy and perhaps it'll spark interest in an IMO reboot too.

very sexy looking mouse...love the color scheme...I've always liked the size and feel of Microsoft mice...just feels good in your hand, not too heavy, great tracking...only thing I don't like about this new IntelliMouse is that the side buttons are both on the same side...I was hoping they went old school and put one side button on each side like the good ole days

Ah memories, I got one in a gift bag at a MS event and used it for years and years.... great mouse at the time, without competition.

I loved this mouse, pending reviews I will pick one up for my work station. Using the Anker percision mouse but those MS mice had a great feel.

Good mouse in a time where most mice were garbage. I see no need for it in a modern field outside nostalgia. Also wired just makes it useless.

I still am using 2 of these in service at the house.....damn things will NOT die or even fall apart. I don't even remember how long ago I bought these. Easily could be 10 years or more though. I don't want to replace just because they are old, I'm waiting for them to give me a reason to be replaced.

3d.jpg

I also have a Microsoft Starck mouse that still sees normal usage. I have nothing but good things to say about Microsoft mouses. They are like IBM keyboards. Comfortable and reliable.

31BE0XPA87L.jpg

Never will I buy a USB mouse that forces a user to have a specific version of Windows in order to customize it.

Never will I buy a USB mouse that forces a user to have a specific version of Windows in order to customize it.

I know what you mean, but I bet this is more on the OS team side. I did read the why for no 10 s, I dont think the team making the mouse said "let's exclude 10s." More likely they came up with some ideas to get around the issue and the OS side said "no" for some reason.

Even when the issue is that the OS itself doesn't allow a 3rd party application to be ran? It doesn't sound like they had a choice with Windows S (and I don't think S is really the kind of environment they had in mind).

Nice to see two thumbs navigation buttons on the side...simplicity and functionality.

I loved that mouse. I have one, but it no longer works anymore. Damn cable is worn out and it keeps randomly disconnecting itself. I had that mouse since probably 2001 or 2002 and it lasted until about 2 or 3 years ago. I wish they still made them.

Also $40 for that mouse is ridiculous. I know damn well it doesn't cost anywhere near that to make. $20 would be worth it.

Even when the issue is that the OS itself doesn't allow a 3rd party application to be ran? It doesn't sound like they had a choice with Windows S (and I don't think S is really the kind of environment they had in mind).

I was more referring to Windows 7, there's still a very large base of users (myself included) who use it. I know a lot of businesses do, as well. My company (with over 45+ communities) all use Windows 7 still.

I know what you mean, but I bet this is more on the OS team side. I did read the why for no 10 s, I dont think the team making the mouse said "let's exclude 10s." More likely they came up with some ideas to get around the issue and the OS side said "no" for some reason.

See my above post. I get the Windows 10 S thing, but who no love for Windows 7 when so many people still use it? If they made it work for Windows 10 and Windows 8, why not 7?

I was more referring to Windows 7, there's still a very large base of users (myself included) who use it. I know a lot of businesses do, as well. My company (with over 45+ communities) all use Windows 7 still.

Gotcha, I flew over Window 7 not being included in the list. Carry on good sir (y)

I still am using 2 of these in service at the house.....damn things will NOT die or even fall apart. I don't even remember how long ago I bought these. Easily could be 10 years or more though. I don't want to replace just because they are old, I'm waiting for them to give me a reason to be replaced.

3d.jpg
Aww yeah! I have the wireless version and it's still trucking after about 15 years. Great mice.

See my above post. I get the Windows 10 S thing, but who no love for Windows 7 when so many people still use it? If they made it work for Windows 10 and Windows 8, why not 7?

Probably an OS side push as well. Which does lend some support to your argument of not supporting a hardware project hobbled by a software push.

Win 7 is a dwindling market, and how many win 7 users are buying mice over $9.99 anyway? A few high tech hold outs, but I'd bet a majority of win 7 users at this point are on win 7 for economic reasons and won't be plunking down $40 for a quasi retro mouse.

My personal mouse progression has been Logitech MX510, MX515, MX518, and G502, but the Intellimouse was a fine mouse for the price.

Their Sidewinder joysticks were solid, too. The rubber grips on my Saitek flight controllers turned sticky and gross after a couple of years but my old Sidewider force-feedback stick still works great.

My personal mouse progression has been Logitech MX510, MX515, MX518, and G502, but the Intellimouse was a fine mouse for the price.

Their Sidewinder joysticks were solid, too. The rubber grips on my Saitek flight controllers turned sticky and gross after a couple of years but my old Sidewider force-feedback stick still works great.

That Sidewinder Force Feedback Pro was a fantastic stick, still got one working A-OK and it's about 14 years old, running through a gameport-USB 2.0 adapter.

Shame about the sensor's max tracking speed. I may still get one to replace the G602 I use at work.

I'd totally consider this.

I remember loving the feel of my Microsoft Optical mouse back in the day.

After the Ms. Mouse I switched to a Logtiech G5 and later a G500 and loved them both.

When the G500 finally gave up on me, I was torn. Couldn't find a a decent, subtle, comfortable mouse that fit my hand well and had a good sensor.

I tried the SteelSeries Rival, but found its sensor or be awful, often moving the pointer across my screen on its own without being touched.

I eventually sucked it up and bought the hideously ugly G502 Proteus Core. It works OK I guess, but I'm not a huge fan.

I love my Logitech infinite scroll wheel too much to go back. Nice of them to offer it to everyone though.

Got mine in, seems very close to the original "feel" wise. The buttons are a little harder and the sensor is obviously faster with higher DPI. Same great shape though, I actually really like it.

IMG_0601.jpg

IMG_0602.jpg

Got mine in, seems very close to the original "feel" wise. The buttons are a little harder and the sensor is obviously faster with higher DPI. Same great shape though, I actually really like it.

IMG_0601.jpg

IMG_0602.jpg

Cool. When you say "feel" are you talking about the physical fit and weight in your hand, or about the performance characteristics of the sensor?

Of course i bought a steelseries sensei just a few months ago to replace my 3.0....tempting....

No cool translucent red bottom, no buy. :p

But seriously...was a really nice mouse back in the day, I seem to recall it had a lifetime warranty? I think I had to have mine replaced a few times for various reasons.

Nowadays, we have gaming-grade wireless mice with more buttons, so I don't see myself going back to one of these.

IMG_0601.jpg

IMG_0602.jpg
Is it really smaller than the original, or is it the angle of your photo? It would be a shame if it's smaller because the size of the original was perfect for my hand.
I'd totally consider this.

I remember loving the feel of my Microsoft Optical mouse back in the day.

After the Ms. Mouse I switched to a Logtiech G5 and later a G500 and loved them both.

When the G500 finally gave up on me, I was torn. Couldn't find a a decent, subtle, comfortable mouse that fit my hand well and had a good sensor.

I tried the SteelSeries Rival, but found its sensor or be awful, often moving the pointer across my screen on its own without being touched.

I eventually sucked it up and bought the hideously ugly G502 Proteus Core. It works OK I guess, but I'm not a huge fan.
Agreed that the G502 is okay. My only issue is it is a little too small and seems to be made for claw gamers. I liked my G700S, but the thing broke too easily which prevented me from replacing it with another. At least the durability of the G502 seems fantastic.

Back