You can now play Stadia games on Xbox using the new Edge browser

Marees

2[H]4U
Xbox owners in the new Skip-Ahead testing program are now able to run Stadia on their Xbox consoles and play games via controller support. This is due to the new Chromium-based Edge browser that's offered in the update, which allows compatibility with Google services like Stadia as well as other extensions and plugins.

The functionality is particularly interesting as Microsoft's own streaming service, Project xCloud, doesn't yet stream games to Xbox consoles.

Read more: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/7814...heir-consoles-via-new-edge-browser/index.html

The Edge update isn't available to everyone yet, but it should roll out soon as Microsoft is pulling the current Edge browser app soon.

940x450-Ryan-Reynold-Reaction-GIFs.jpg

Because the Xbox One S costs $200 new & $150 refurbished ?

What are the prices like now ?

Or you can get a Chromecast Ultra or new Google TV for less than half of that still if you want to use Stadia. The Stadia version of games run considerably better than base Xbone and PS4 consoles too, esp. for newer games like CP2077. But I think this is more of a "funny you can do it" thing rather than something many people will actually consider and do.

Personally, streaming games to me is what playing console games is to DukenukemX; I'll rebel against it as long as possible despite its merits and advantages. Otherwise I'll continue to buy all the game hardware I can since I enjoy all things gaming that don't require a fast or constant internet connection.

This is funny and a bit awesome just for the novelty of it, this means my Xbox can now play just about every Xbox games, stadia games, and every emulator up to the PS2 and Nintendo Wii. Really does make it the best all in one system (outside of PC gaming of course lol).

Because the Xbox One S costs $200 new & $150 refurbished ?

What are the prices like now ?
Google is backing away from Stadia and they require you to buy their games from their store. Some games that are a few hundred megabytes in size like Sonic Mania are going to consumes hundreds of gigabytes to play them. Unlike Sony, Microsoft plans to continue to support Xbox One. Halo Infinite will be released on Xbox One, Windows, and Xbox Series. Good thing Stadia doesn't have any exclusive games because they wouldn't have any plans to bring them to other platforms.

Or you can get a Chromecast Ultra or new Google TV for less than half of that still if you want to use Stadia.
No you don't. Chromecast is far worse when it comes to input lag, as tested by Gamers Nexus. Nearly doubling in input lag in some games, compared to a web browser on PC. You're still better off using a PC to play Stadia, and that's really redundant. Like playing Stadia on Xbox consoles. As for image quality, Gamers Nexus said, "It looks a video you compressed and then recompessed multiple times, and transcoded multiple times."

The Stadia version of games run considerably better than base Xbone and PS4 consoles too, esp. for newer games like CP2077. But I think this is more of a "funny you can do it" thing rather than something many people will actually consider and do.
I doubt it, and would like to see some tests.

No you don't. Chromecast is far worse when it comes to input lag, as tested by Gamers Nexus. Nearly doubling in input lag in some games, compared to a web browser on PC. You're still better off using a PC to play Stadia, and that's really redundant. Like playing Stadia on Xbox consoles. As for image quality, Gamers Nexus said, "It looks a video you compressed and then recompessed multiple times, and transcoded multiple times."

I doubt it, and would like to see some tests.

Huh? No I don't what? Nothing you said disputes my post about the Chromecast or Google TV being less than half the cost of a base Xbone. That video is like 18 months old now and at this point is outdated considering how many updates for the client and service have invariably been rolled out since then, and I don't care enough to watch it or even know if he used it on a hard-wired connection. I already stated I don't like or care about Stadia though and have no stake in arguing for or against it.

Or you can get a Chromecast Ultra or new Google TV for less than half of that still if you want to use Stadia. The Stadia version of games run considerably better than base Xbone and PS4 consoles too, esp. for newer games like CP2077. But I think this is more of a "funny you can do it" thing rather than something many people will actually consider and do.

Personally, streaming games to me is what playing console games is to DukenukemX; I'll rebel against it as long as possible despite its merits and advantages. Otherwise I'll continue to buy all the game hardware I can since I enjoy all things gaming that don't require a fast or constant internet connection.
It is the future. Like it or not it will be forced down our throats. It won't be Stadia but some one will force it.

It is the future. Like it or not it will be forced down our throats. It won't be Stadia but some one will force it.
Will see about that, because I imagine there is competing force that want to force down our throats stuff that will have natural tension with streaming, TV received 48 Gbps and even that is a bit limiting for what they will push hardware wise, not only lag but before bandwidth get good enough it could take a very long time.

How little effort went to Stadia and the complete absence of exclusive do show that forcing down our throats is far from started at least, right now Sony-Microsoft can sell you both the hardware and an online pass (one that is locked to your hardware you bought and has no competition), they will not shift that to streaming alone if they are not forced to do so imo.

A bit like Hollywood and the giant cash cow that was DVD (or the music industry with the CD before), they resisted a long time to streaming and it was the consumer that push it down the studio throats quite violently, not the other way around.

Probably far in the future, but I really don't think the infrastructure will be there for hundreds of millions of people internationally in rural areas for a while still, like within the next decade at least. From what I've seen in Italy (where I live right now), you're lucky to get a 10 Mb DSL connection outside the center of most towns and GL streaming any games on that while anyone else is doing anything on the internet like watching Youtube or Netflix at the same time. Same for most rural areas in the US like my old home town where they still only offer 3-5 Mb.

Probably far in the future, but I really don't think the infrastructure will be there for hundreds of millions of people internationally in rural areas for a while still, like within the next decade at least. From what I've seen in Italy (where I live right now), you're lucky to get a 10 Mb DSL connection outside the center of most towns and GL streaming any games on that while anyone else is doing anything on the internet like watching Youtube or Netflix at the same time. Same for most rural areas in the US like my old home town where they still only offer 3-5 Mb.
In the next 20 years. You going to have Starlink from Elon all over the world by then.

Huh? No I don't what? Nothing you said disputes my post about the Chromecast or Google TV being less than half the cost of a base Xbone.
If it's not usable then any amount of money is a waste. 250MS is about 1/4 of a second of input lag. You'll notice it, and hate it.
That video is like 18 months old now and at this point is outdated considering how many updates for the client and service have invariably been rolled out since then,
They did a follow up video and nothing changed. Are you admitting that Stadia wasn't ready for release if it needs updates? No update is going to fix cloud gaming.

and I don't care enough to watch it or even know if he used it on a hard-wired connection.
They did with the best internet in the US. That means the latency will only get worse for others.
I already stated I don't like or care about Stadia though and have no stake in arguing for or against it.
Could have fooled me.

About as likely as the Earth being flat. Speed of light is absolute.

If it's not usable then any amount of money is a waste. 250MS is about 1/4 of a second of input lag. You'll notice it, and hate it.

They did a follow up video and nothing changed. Are you admitting that Stadia wasn't ready for release if it needs updates? No update is going to fix cloud gaming.

They did with the best internet in the US. That means the latency will only get worse for others.

Could have fooled me.

Cool man, I succeed to you in whatever incoherent argument you're trying to make from my OP about the Chromecast Ultra/Google TV being less than half the cost of an Xbone. You "win" and can go back to derailing threads into console debates now.

In the next 20 years. You going to have Starlink from Elon all over the world by then.
Quite possible, but I think even then people will be fighting it for the most part. But if the Starlink thing works out as planned and the bandwidth/latency is there to support it for everyone then, I'm sure it will convert a lot of people over from local hardware for sure. I'd say it will take another generation or two of gamers to fully adopt it though and agree that eventually streaming will be the standard.

Could have fooled me.

People want convince above all else. People are being condition to accept subscription model for everything. Believe me I will resist it as long as possible. Will probably quit gaming all togather once I don't have a choice.

Quite possible, but I think even then people will be fighting it for the most part. But if the Starlink thing works out as planned and the bandwidth/latency is there to support it for everyone then, I'm sure it will convert a lot of people over from local hardware for sure. I'd say it will take another generation or two of gamers to fully adopt it though and agree that eventually streaming will be the standard.
You do know that StarLink has worse latency than cable or fiber? You aren't solving the Stadia input lag, you're making it worse.

Stadia actually works better than you might assume. Some games, like Cyberpunk 2077, run great and are better than last-gen consoles.

Other games are not so great, Metro Exodus was basically unplayable due to lag and the compression on dark screens is very noticeable.

However, I think in the near future, streaming will be very popular. Once you can pay like $9.99/month and access a huge back catalog of games, it will be a huge success for a lot of people (and I guess this is what Microsoft wants to do).

That said, Stadia in it's current form isn't there. Paying $60 for a game, and not even technically owning it is a hard sell. And Google does not seem particularly invested (closing their studios, Chromecast w/ Google TV still doesn't officially support it, etc.).

But everything else is going virtual, the days of dedicated console systems are probably numbered. Just like most people today probably don't even own a Blu-Ray player.

You do know that StarLink has worse latency than cable or fiber? You aren't solving the Stadia input lag, you're making it worse.

Indeed, and I applaud your effort to continue arguing with me about a service that I dislike as much as you do.

Stadia actually works better than you might assume. Some games, like Cyberpunk 2077, run great and are better than last-gen consoles.
Stadia works so well that it failed faster than Google glasses. Seriously, Stadia is dead. When Google pulled out any exclusives they were working on, that's when you step away from Stadia.
However, I think in the near future, streaming will be very popular. Once you can pay like $9.99/month and access a huge back catalog of games, it will be a huge success for a lot of people (and I guess this is what Microsoft wants to do).
If cloud gaming had any leg to stand on, it would be right now. You know, during a pandemic where people can't find affordable hardware. There's a reason why people are sticking to their GTX 1060's.
That said, Stadia in it's current form isn't there. Paying $60 for a game, and not even technically owning it is a hard sell. And Google does not seem particularly invested (closing their studios, Chromecast w/ Google TV still doesn't officially support it, etc.).
Stadia made the same mistake that Geforce Now did, and that's require you to buy games from them. Nvidia eventually changed it so that you can also play those games on Steam, as they would give you a Steam key for the game you purchased. Nvidia had also limited Geforce Now to their hardware, but now you can use it anywhere. Stadia is currently limiting Stadia to a very small amount of devices. Stadia should have looked at Nvidia before releasing their service, as even Nvidia can't seem to gain members on Geforce Now.
But everything else is going virtual, the days of dedicated console systems are probably numbered. Just like most people today probably don't even own a Blu-Ray player.
I perceive the GTX 1060 to live on another 5 years. Cloud gaming is already dead.... again.
s45sso2q9dn51.jpg

Yeah, the GTX 1060 is popular. McDonald's is also popular. Doesn't make it good food or mean you should eat it.

Well, to be fair, I have a GTX 1060 in my spare rig. I was surprised that most games actually run okay (even Cyberpunk) after tweaking settings.

The original point was that just cause there is a cheap popular option (like McDonald's) doesn't mean you can't also get a nice $15 burger at a local restaurant (or a more expensive GPU).

There is room for both options, and it's not a one size fits all kind of problem.

Well, to be fair, I have a GTX 1060 in my spare rig. I was surprised that most games actually run okay (even Cyberpunk) after tweaking settings.

The original point was that just cause there is a cheap popular option (like McDonald's) doesn't mean you can't also get a nice $15 burger at a local restaurant (or a more expensive GPU).

There is room for both options, and it's not a one size fits all kind of problem.
Yea but a GTX 1060 is still 10x better than Stadia. McDonald's is still better than the frozen burgers you get at the supermarket. We all can't afford to spend $15 for a burger.

Now imagine a beef shortage. Who's going to have burgers to sell?

Back