You Can Burn Blu-Ray Like USB Drive in Ubuntu

cybereality

[H]F Junkie
For some reason, I was sure I tried this before (and it didn't work) but I'm able to burn Blu-Ray discs in Ubuntu just using the file manager (like a USB drive).

I guess people don't care about optical media anymore, but I like it as a second backup, and I had the burner already. Really happy this works.

Okay, I figured out why it didn't work before.

If you insert a blank rewritable disc, it will allow you to add files and burn, but this finalizes the disc and you can't add/modify files afterwards.

What you have to do is right click on the disc and choose format. I chose NTFS because I want to read in Windows, and then after it is formatted you can use it like a USB stick.

BD-RE is actually pretty cheap, $12 for a 10 pack of discs with 25GB each. Yes, not as convenient as a USB thumb drive, but it's a nice option for backup purposes.

Use Brasero, burn a data disk and make sure you finalize the disk so it is readable in other machines. As far as I'm aware, the need to finalize the disk to be readable on other Windows machines, even under Windows itself, has always been the case.

Thanks for the tip.
Thank me when it works... ;)

It's been a long time since I burnt data to Bluray. Although I do still make MP3/FLAC based CD's for the car at times and the 'make a data disc' under Brasero works perfectly.

Yeah well I might just give up on burning discs. Maybe there is a reason it died off.

You mean you can write to a bluray disc like a usb drive? Yeah, could do the same with DVDs and CDs if they were the rewritable kind. Problem with the rewritable discs is they weren't as reliable. Also, USB thumb drives were much cheaper per GB, and easier to carry around, so it didn't get popular except in certain circles.

edit: well, maybe not much lower $/gb, but the density was much higher at similar or slightly higher cost.

Yes, using an optical disc like a USB stick. I don't want to finalize the disc, because I want to write small files (like source code) every few days to it and keep the session open.

I thought it was a good idea to have a separate medium to write to (I already have an external HDD backup) and it is kind of fun to mess with discs again. But it seems like maybe not a good idea.

Yes, using an optical disc like a USB stick. I don't want to finalize the disc, because I want to write small files (like source code) every few days to it and keep the session open.

I thought it was a good idea to have a separate medium to write to (I already have an external HDD backup) and it is kind of fun to mess with discs again. But it seems like maybe not a good idea.
Just verify the data is correct and you should be fine. If it's not, copy again. If it's still bad, your disc may be eol

Just verify the data is correct and you should be fine. If it's not, copy again. If it's still bad, your disc may be eol
Which isn't uncommon. I always found optical media (as well as optical drives) very unreliable.

Back