Yonah to Merom

BGM

Limp Gawd
Hey,

What are the chances do you think of purchasing a Yonah laptop now and upgrading it to a Merom when they are released..

i know its a very longshot.. but i was considering buying a laptop in the next couple of months but would really really like a 64-bit Intel offering

or should i just wait and not spend anything!

ooo its so hard to decide.. :/

Are you planning on using more than 3 gigs of memory in your laptop? If not, forget 64-bit, it is worthless for now. XP64 still has crappy driver support and certain programs are buggy on it, and Vista will come in a 32-bit flavor. Nothing other than a handful of high end scientific apps and some major server stuff runs faster on 64 bit, and even then not by much. Get the Yonah now if you really want it, but if you can wait, Merom does have some added benefits beyond 64-bit.

my main reason for considering 64-bit was vista...

and the assumption that office 2007 will also ome in 64bit flavour

hmm.. but i think you are right.

ill have a think about it

cheers!

According to Intel , Merom is compatible with Yonah laptops , only a BIOS upgrade is needed.

savantu said:
According to Intel , Merom is compatible with Yonah laptops , only a BIOS upgrade is needed.
Well, if that actually is the case... maybe I should go ahead and get the Yonah and then decide if I need 64bit at a later date.

Surely there will be a difference in this support between machine manufacturers... do any laptop builders have a better reputation for this type of thing over others?

I am looking at an Asus V6J...

BGM said:
Well, if that actually is the case... maybe I should go ahead and get the Yonah and then decide if I need 64bit at a later date.

Surely there will be a difference in this support between machine manufacturers... do any laptop builders have a better reputation for this type of thing over others?

I am looking at an Asus V6J...

I expect Asus to deliver since they have arguably the best support for motherboards in the industry , their boards often supported "unsupported" cpus ( 955XE on the 955 chipset ) and they regularly uupdate the Bios database.

Back