Yoga Teacher Fired For Banning Cell Phones at Facebook

Which from what I read she did, it appears from the reporting that she picked up the phone, looked at it and went into the hall to handle the call, email or message (the stories are not clear which it is.)

From the article:

Van Ness said her class at Facebook was just beginning when she noticed a student in the front row using a cell phone. She asked the entire class to shut the devices off. Halfway into their routine, just as they began the pose known as ardha chandrasna, the same student picked up her phone again.

Van Ness said nothing, but shot the student a look.

The student left class for a few minutes to complete her phone business. She later complained to the fitness center's managers, and two weeks later, Van Ness' boss called her into the office and fired her.

So she asked once, at the beginning, and then the person did it anyway. The second time she didn't even say anything.

And yes I think it is appalling that one bitchy person (you know she got in a huff and went bitching everywhere. Who dares tell ME to turn off my phone, everyone else doesn't matter) can get another person fired like that.

I could understand if the instructor grabbed the phone and broke it or something but come on!

Well, I suspect it has more to do with her "it's not important, it's only Facebook" attitude then it did this incident, I mean try telling your boss that about your company and see how fast your out of a job.

Ah yes...our perpetual pandering to whiny bitches who refuse to follow the rules.

:rolleyes:

It was a stern look, she didn't even actually say anything. Nevermind the fact that there are signs specifically saying "Please turn off cell phones during class". Why do we have laws and rules making people turn off cell phones in school classrooms, or in other places. Because it's common fucking decency, that's why.

So yes, since that lady was teaching the yoga class, she has some authority in how her class operates, and if a student was being disruptive, she had every right, under the basis tenant of keeping class in order, to not be distracting to not only the teacher but the rest of the students who were following the rules properly.

Yep. I hate to break it to you, but this will only become more and more common. I see it all the time... pretty much everywhere. People in my generation rarely have any respect for anything and it's sort of amusing how all this technology that is supposed to connect us is actually making us withdrawn into little worlds and isolated bubbles...

Should rehire the instructor and Facebook management should penalize the stupid bitch. Next time they're having a meeting (an important one) guess who is going to be paying attention? Or doing work? Not the idiot employee.

Leave them be. If we are lucky enough they'll get their sorry asses out of the gene pool as soon as possible. ;)

The only problem with this is that while removing themselves from the gene pool they usually end up removing others. Then again, we are talking about California so that might not be a bad thing.;)

I have a strong feeling the reality of the situation was:

1) Instructor tells facebook employee to turn off phone
2) Facebook employee complains and/or boss of facebook employee that was needing to get a message to him/her complains to change the policy
3) Instructor refuses to allow cellphones
4) Instructor gets fired.

Yep. I hate to break it to you, but this will only become more and more common. I see it all the time... pretty much everywhere. People in my generation rarely have any respect for anything and it's sort of amusing how all this technology that is supposed to connect us is actually making us withdrawn into little worlds and isolated bubbles...

Should rehire the instructor and Facebook management should penalize the stupid bitch. Next time they're having a meeting (an important one) guess who is going to be paying attention? Or doing work? Not the idiot employee.

For all you know it could have been Facebook's management calling the woman, especially considering the instructor ranting on about it not being important because it's only Facebook, which is likely the reason she was fired as opposed to her wetting herself over the woman leaving to take a call or message.

These types of benifits, when offered on site, are often done during work hours with the understanding that attendance is as business allows and as such many of those in attendance might well be expected to respond to calls in case a problem develops that requires their input.

For all you know it could have been Facebook's management calling the woman, especially considering the instructor ranting on about it not being important because it's only Facebook, which is likely the reason she was fired as opposed to her wetting herself over the woman leaving to take a call or message.

I'm pretty sure she "ranted" about it in her blog after she got fired, but it's not really clear from the article.

I'm pretty sure she "ranted" about it in her blog after she got fired, but it's not really clear from the article.

Yeah, there are a lot of details missing from the story, and since the story was from the instructor I can't see her omitting them if they in fact helped her case. I mean if your are attempting to try your case in the court of public opinion you air everything that helps your case, but omit that which doesn't, and that is what I have to assume is taking place here.

Turn off the cell when youre in any class or at a movie. It's common courtesy not to prove an asshole. I sweat to God, someday I'll lose control seeing yet another flash of cellphone light in the theater and break a kid's teeth. Emergency I can understand, but texting in a social context when you damn well know it's going to be disruptive? You deserve every single broken bone.

These types of benifits, when offered on site, are often done during work hours with the understanding that attendance is as business allows and as such many of those in attendance might well be expected to respond to calls in case a problem develops that requires their input.

Then, as a company signing a contract with a contractor, you tell them they cannot have a no cellphone rule.

Turn off the cell when youre in any class or at a movie. It's common courtesy not to prove an asshole. I sweat to God, someday I'll lose control seeing yet another flash of cellphone light in the theater and break a kid's teeth. Emergency I can understand, but texting in a social context when you damn well know it's going to be disruptive? You deserve every single broken bone.

Violent, aren't we?

Violent, aren't we?

I tend to feel the same way, though. No one is forcing people to stay in a movie or class (most of the time), so it's not like you can't just get up and walk out if you need to take an important call. There's no excuse.

Let's be real, people that do this shit are self-important assholes, no question.

I tend to feel the same way, though. No one is forcing people to stay in a movie or class (most of the time), so it's not like you can't just get up and walk out if you need to take an important call. There's no excuse.

Let's be real, people that do this shit are self-important assholes, no question.

Oh I agree, it's very inconsiderate disrupting classes others enjoy. Ditto movies or talking loud in restaurants and things like that. But to break their bones over it? Ehhh... no.

My girlfriend says I have this super powers that make people stop doing something bad. I have this steely-eye stare she hates so much when I get upset because she said it makes her feel guilty as shit.

So I'll be giving cell phone users steely-eye stares, not broken bones :-P

Well yeah, I wouldn't actually break bones, but I can understand the rage that builds up sometimes when you see/hear about shit like this. That's all I'm saying. :cool:

With any plot, there is a predictable logical straightforward line to an outcome. When one detects a significant deviation from the predicted outcome, one then attempts to plot the logic which caused that deviation. I suppose if you can’t get to the truth, then you are going to have to speculate, or resort to making up jokes to fit the explanation. Of course, it always helps to analyse the words in the article, down to necessary LOD. Anyway, unlike some people, I bet she gets another job easily after this.

Not only is it disruptive but the event in question wasn't even compulsory, furthermore, this was specific instruction on physical meditation. People are coming to relax, not to see you mentally masturbate. Remove yourself from the room if it is important. It is much less distracting than twiddling there going subconsciously "Look how important I am! I have zero respect for anyone in this room! I've got Henry Kissinger on the SMS LOLZ!"

The worst is when you're in a university lecture and there are several to a dozen people texting or dicking around. I can see you, asshole, so can the professor/instructor. If I can see it, it is disruptive. The best instructors are the ones who don't miss a beat and tell them to stop or they'll be ejected. Forcibly if necessary.

I wish people had a modicum of respect and etiquette, something sorely lacking, unfortunately.

Seriously!? You don't tell Facebook employees no... because they are whiny little spoiled bitches that act like toddlers. No wonder the stock bombed.

That really seems like a way to gain some respect. Be a fucking cock to everyone. "Tell me no!? FUCK YOU YOU'RE FIRED!". Little toddler bitch. My kids NEVER acted like that. If they did, I'd just laugh at them. Yes, I just told your ass no. Don't like it? Leave.

7028048-an-attractive-athletic-businessman-doing-a-yoga-pose-while-using-his-mobile-phone-and-laptop-against.jpg

Everybody in the Yoga class will be doing this!:D

Didn't bother to click the article, I see. There's a picture of her.

Looks fairly average to me.

true. But I just can't come to believe that someone got fired for this. From my experience when people get fired its a combination of reasons not just the last reason.

Remove yourself from the room if it is important. It is much less distracting than twiddling there going subconsciously "Look how important I am! I have zero respect for anyone in this room! I've got Henry Kissinger on the SMS LOLZ!"

The worst is when you're in a university lecture and there are several to a dozen people texting or dicking around. I can see you, asshole, so can the professor/instructor. If I can see it, it is disruptive. The best instructors are the ones who don't miss a beat and tell them to stop or they'll be ejected. Forcibly if necessary.

I wish people had a modicum of respect and etiquette, something sorely lacking, unfortunately.

The woman in question did remove herself from the room but the instructor was butt hurt because the woman didn't think the instructor is as important and the instructor believes herself to be.

true. But I just can't come to believe that someone got fired for this. From my experience when people get fired its a combination of reasons not just the last reason.

Yep, but of course the person fired will never point out any other issues that had, especially when attempting to try their case in the court of public opinion, which this woman is doing.

everyone involved needs to calm down, take a deep breath, and take some Yoga classes.

Teacher was well within her rights. Gives you a little window into the facebook 'culture', doesn't it?

The woman in question did remove herself from the room but the instructor was butt hurt because the woman didn't think the instructor is as important and the instructor believes herself to be.

Yep, but of course the person fired will never point out any other issues that had, especially when attempting to try their case in the court of public opinion, which this woman is doing.

In the article, it says the woman was tapping away at her phone earlier, was told to stop, then whipped in out again later and left the class. That same woman filed a complaint about getting a dirty look.

Would you go out of your way to get someone fired for giving you a dirty look (for doing something you were asked specifically not to do)?

Teacher was well within her rights. Gives you a little window into the facebook 'culture', doesn't it?

Keep in mind the article says she was told she wasn't let go just because of a Facebook employee complaining, but rather because of a pattern of complaints from multiple companies including Cisco.

Keep in mind the article says she was told she wasn't let go just because of a Facebook employee complaining, but rather because of a pattern of complaints from multiple companies including Cisco.

She asked someone not to take photographs during a session at Cisco, doesn't seem like a big deal. If you can't be a professional in the work place, there are 2,000 people waiting to replace you.

There has to be more than what is publicly available. I find it hard to believe that having a no phone policy will get you fired.

On explanation could be the instructor was far more attractive than the yappy phone using woman. She was on her period. She was probably very concerned with defending her stance on skinny vs. tight jeans --- just to name a few.

Ex. Lifeguard gets fired for saving life, instructor gets fired by trying to enforce a meditative atmosphere. The details are being withheld.

These crybaby whiners need to stop being obsessed with their stupid fucking phone. That's what the problem is.

I have this steely-eye stare

In Hawaii we give "stink eye".

The cell phone woman was a whiny little bitch to complain and get her fired. However I can see why the company fired her. She was upsetting the customer.

Like several have said, those people taking yoga classes may be required to be contactable any time. It was on Facebook campus being paid for by Facebook. Facebook should be able to use phones if they need to. Someone should have explained this to the teacher before the incident - or she should have figured it out herself too.

I'd give the texter a T-shirt that said "I got someone fired because I couldn't stay off the phone for an hour." What an asshole. It's just plain bureaucratic bullshit like 'mandatory fun' in the military. Management doesn't offer yoga classes because they think it may help/aid their employees, they offer it so they can say they do, kinda like customer service.

In Hawaii we give "stink eye".

The cell phone woman was a whiny little bitch to complain and get her fired. However I can see why the company fired her. She was upsetting the customer.

Like several have said, those people taking yoga classes may be required to be contactable any time. It was on Facebook campus being paid for by Facebook. Facebook should be able to use phones if they need to. Someone should have explained this to the teacher before the incident - or she should have figured it out herself too.

We send instructors all over the planet to teach classes on private, public, and government campuses. Basically, if you don't follow the rules the instructor sets, you GTFO, fail your cert, and still pay up.

Of course, this is more important training than Yoga :p

Though, it is more important than doing Yoga at work.

I'm with the facebook/yoga contract company on this one. She got fired because she didn't realize that her class wasn't her's from the start. Facebook is allowing her to operate as business permits. The contracting company didn't want to lose a lucrative contract so instead of a reprimand, it was easier just to fire her as she is easily replaced.

This is pretty standard practice. A colleague of mine is a technical trainer and he goes on and on about the death of common courtesy and how people in his class sometime play solitaire, text, or talk in the back of the class. He can't say anything about it though since his contract prohibits him from speaking or interacting with any employee in a "negative" manner. I'm sure the yoga teacher's contract had a similar clause if she bothered to read it.

Back