YMMV - Sennheiser Momentum on-ear $99 in-store Best Buy

Jeremy C

Gawd
These guys

I was in store this weekend and found these same headphones marked $99. Sales confirmed the price and stated that Senn is pulling their merchandise from in-store, so everything is clearanced. This was the only pair of Senn's left in the store, and for 50% off the regular price, I couldn't pass it up.

So again, YMMV, but it looks like you might want to check local stores for any Sennheiser headphones as the price you get might be worthwhile.

Nice low impedence unlike other sennheiser products. These should make quality sound without a headphone amp.

The on-ear design can cause some ear irritation after long use if you're not used to it...but this model looks to have softer padding than what I'm used to - might not even be a problem with this pair.

Picked up a pair to try. I needed some new headphones for work, and ear buds/IEMs sometimes bug me after extended use. I thought I'd give some on ear ones a shot.

Just bought these in Portland, ME for $99. Plan to use them at work where they will get 4+ hours of use daily.

Initial impressions are fantastic. I was previously using Koss KCS-75 ear clips and JVC HA-RX700 headphones. These Momentum headphones have good isolation and feel comfortable so far. Gotten multiple comments on the look as well.

Last edited:
Went to my local BB on lunch... they had them for $99. Tried them on and really didn't like the feeling of them being on my ears. Bummer, too bad they didn't have the over the ear momentums. I guess I'll be sticking with my HD 428s at work.

Overall, I like these a lot. I'm not a huge audiophile, but I can definitely tell these have a v-shaped signature. The mids are a bit more recessed than I like (I listen to mostly rock), but it's not nearly as bad as some of the other on ear stuff on the market. I'm still debating whether I want to keep the Momentums or not.

Edit: BTW, if you care about looks at all, these are sexy as hell...probably the best looking cans I've seen.

Found the last set for $99 in Sparks, NV.

There appears to be some stock at the Reno, NV store.

Thanks OP!

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up! I was just looking at these today and online in my area they are 124.99. I'll check my store later to see if they have them marked off for clearance.

I didn't really care for how the felt on my ears but the Carolina Place location in Charlotte, NC has about 4 pairs of these at $99 if anyone is looking for them.

My local BB has 3 pairs left and when I tried them on I didnt like the way they sounded at all! maybe BB had them hooked up wrong or something but they sounded flat on both rock/pop songs. Theres hardly any bass or mids. They sounded good for jazz/classical music if thats your thing, my 49.99 JVC HARX900 sounded better for rock/pc gaming. Just heads up for those of you with similar taste.

Their display unit must be borked.

My set works just fine for rock / metal.

Also beware there are two different Momentum series headphones. On the ear and over the ear. The local BB here had the over the ear on display.

My local BB has 3 pairs left and when I tried them on I didnt like the way they sounded at all! maybe BB had them hooked up wrong or something but they sounded flat on both rock/pop songs. Theres hardly any bass or mids. They sounded good for jazz/classical music if thats your thing, my 49.99 JVC HARX900 sounded better for rock/pc gaming. Just heads up for those of you with similar taste.

Could be just those demo units? I normally don't try on headphones much past "does this fit on my head and not cause immediate harm to my ears." Hard to know what the demo units have been through or what is powering them (and if it is EQ'd or not).

Anyway so far I've only listened to these when connected to an iPhone 5, they sound great with possibly too much bass (using Kanye West - "Monster" as a reference).

Their display unit must be borked.

My set works just fine for rock / metal.

Also beware there are two different Momentum series headphones. On the ear and over the ear. The local BB here had the over the ear on display.

What was the price they were offering on the over the ear(those are the ones I wanted)? Retail on the over the ears are $300.

What was the price they were offering on the over the ear(those are the ones I wanted)? Retail on the over the ears are $300.

the $300 (299.99) are for the OVER the ear (aka circumaural), the $99.99 are for the ON ear (Supra-aural) phones. The circumaural come with leather pads, and a swivel mount, where as the over the ear, are foam/velvet pads and an angled (90 degree) mount.

edit:

Over the ear: (circumaural)
http://en-us.sennheiser.com/over-ear-headphone-momentum-stereo
8M09C8H.jpg

8G77fwp.jpg

On the ear: (Supra-aural)
http://en-us.sennheiser.com/momentum-on-ear-headphones
6FSLvvh.jpg

j57lp7c.jpg

Last edited:
Well $99 is a horrible deal if these are for the on ear version. I saw Momentum and immediately thought the over-ear ones.

Back