YMMV: Office Depot Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 $99 or less

Octonaut

Gawd
So in this weeks Office Depot ad, there was a price mistake for the Nighthawk AC1900.

While most Office Depots are not honoring it, you can price match using the ad at other stores. I pricematched at my local Best Buy and got it for $99.

If you can get walmart to price match, you get a $30 gift card with it.

you must have the local AD paper or this will not work. It shows up as 199 online.

How would you know if most of the OD stores are honoring it or not? Did you go to most of the 2,000 stores and ask??

I got one at the Euless, Texas, OD this morning for $99 plus a $10 gift card. Some OD stores are honoring it.

I pricematched at Walmart without any issues, got the gift card. Already have it installed and running.... Don't have any 5ghz devices, and the 2.4 covers the house but a little weak in one section although it seems stable at least.

So far Im happy with it, gonna hook up a USB HD and see what it can do with it in the next few days.

Try it with DDWRT, it works better.

I never said they weren't, but mine had a sign printed and up this evening. Maybe they will, maybe they wont? I letting people know about it, not being rude.

Good router been running mine since the price mistake at Walmart on black friday. Haven't tossed dd-wrt on it yet.

Try it with DDWRT, it works better.

I never said they weren't, but mine had a sign printed and up this evening. Maybe they will, maybe they wont? I letting people know about it, not being rude.

Understood.

I'm glad my store didn't have the sign up and apparently didn't know about whether it was a mistake or not. I had missed the Wal-mart sale so this was a sweet find.

Got mine at the Office Depot closes to my work.. Had no issues.. she called the manager for an override.. he came and override it.. and they gave me a $10 GC.

FullSizeRender by darktiger, on Flickr

Thanks for the heads up on this deal.. Since I missed the Black Friday one.. :)

My first gen E4200 is 4-5 years old at this point, and has just enough wifi signal strength to keep my phone on from switching to 4G (but not let it transfer any data) when I'm sitting in the driveway letting the car warm up. Yes, obviously moving it closer to the driveway would be the logical solution, but there are other issues in play. It likes to overheat and require resets when passively cooled, so I have it set up over the 200mm top exhaust fan in my tower, and it's been very stable there.

Do you figure the AC1900 will be any better in terms of signal strength?

Sounds like your router is having issues, I'd replace it if it is over heating.

Bought a TP-LINK C7 last week for 60 bucks and the performance has been great. But this deal was too good to pass up.

Netgear's R7000 performs much better in the 5ghz realm, boosting my Roku's connection by two bars, from poor to good. The router is located on the second floor, opposite side of my townhouse, while the Roku is on the first floor. Every channel and setting was tried on both routers.

Edit: Did some tinkering and got the R7000 to full bars (excellent strength rating) using DD-WRT. Left the power at stock (71).

Crazy good router, this one!

Last edited by a moderator:
Which DD-WRT are you running? I'm using Kong's.

Likewise. That's the one to get for the R7000.

Do you have a Note 4 by chance? If so, could you tell me what your throughput is on your lan using wifi Sweetspots? I get 423 Mbps.

Last edited by a moderator:
I picked up an ad at office depot, there was a flyer stating the pricing error above it. Gonna hit up Fry's/Walmart tomorrow. Ad expires this Saturday.

I picked up an ad at office depot, there was a flyer stating the pricing error above it. Gonna hit up Fry's/Walmart tomorrow. Ad expires this Saturday.

They printed a different flyer for the ad, pointing out the error?

I paid 169.00 not too long ago. It's a good router....the usb 3.0 doesn't put out those speeds but no hiccups anywhere else. I max out speeds like I'm on a LAN. So yeah, if u can get this router on the cheap go for it.

Big foot print though....not for small desks or work-spaces.

Which DD-WRT are you running? I'm using Kong's.

Based on the little bit of research that I did prior to having Walmart price match for me, the general consensus was to just use the stock firmware for this router. DD-WRT gives more advanced routing options, but it is buggier and lowers throughput of the router due to some proprietary stuff that the stock firmware can take advantage of.

Based on the little bit of research that I did prior to having Walmart price match for me, the general consensus was to just use the stock firmware for this router. DD-WRT gives more advanced routing options, but it is buggier and lowers throughput of the router due to some proprietary stuff that the stock firmware can take advantage of.

Unless you have greater than 450 Mbps Internet speeds you won't encounter any throughput problems using DD-WRT. If you don't need the options opened up by DD-WRT, than by all means stick to the simpler stock firmware. Kong's firmware for this router is extremely stable and this has been one of the greatest success stories for DD-WRT in terms of stability and performance.

Opinions will differ. The answer is: it depends.

If you're happy with the range of stock and don't need any of the advanced settings (such as more power), stick with stock. Yet this is true for most 3rd party mods.

Kong owns the R7000 and it's a labor of love; something like 12 releases by my count.

Passed by the local Office Depot and Walmart (they're side by side) and got the last one at Walmart.

They matched the $99.99 and gave me the $30.00 gift card at the register.

Thanks OP for the deal and the win!

Maybe I'm missing something but why is Walmart giving out $30 GC when price matching this? Looked at their ad I had (Walmart) and didn't see anything that might clue me in.

Damn, so the Nighthawk vs the Linksys EA6900 vs TPLink Archer C7?

EDIT: How are you guys finding the Nighthawk at Walmart? Online it shows as Sold and Shipped by TigerDirect and no available in any stores.

EDIT: How are you guys finding the Nighthawk at Walmart? Online it shows as Sold and Shipped by TigerDirect and no available in any stores.

Personally I would take the nighthawk, but that EA6900 is very nice too, the TP Link isn't bad.

Also it depends on the store, I would call and NOT rely on what it says online.

When I checked online it showed none in stock within a 50 mile radius. I passed by Office Depot and Walmart on a whim while having my car serviced and found it.

YMMV...

Unless you have greater than 450 Mbps Internet speeds you won't encounter any throughput problems using DD-WRT. If you don't need the options opened up by DD-WRT, than by all means stick to the simpler stock firmware. Kong's firmware for this router is extremely stable and this has been one of the greatest success stories for DD-WRT in terms of stability and performance.

Precisely true. In my case, my Internet speed is 100Mbps so this is not a consideration. However, I need time-based access restrictions for my kids that the stock firmware doesn't provide, so using DD-WRT was practically a requirement for me. BTW, it's been fully stable so far, and the range is better than my RT-N66U was in the same areas of the house.

woot, found the circular at my local store. Bestbuy is closing in 40 mins so I wont have time to get it tonight.

EDIT: Bestbuy price matched, no questions asked.

Last edited:
One of the less busy local Office Max had 1 left in stock with a BIG sign in front of it saying that there was a pricing error and they will not honor the $99.99 price. So I grabbed their flyer and went 2 doors down to the Best Buy in the same shopping center, had them price match the $99.99 without any issues but no gift card. I had a $10 reward zone certificate to use anyways, and I did not want to deal with circus that is the local Walmart.
For those that can get the $100 deal and the $30 GC...well you earned it! Especially if your Walmart is any bit the ridiculousness the one here is these days with returns and what not.

Can someone please elaborate on the $30 gift card deal at Wal*Mart. I see nothing about that in their latest ad.

Just went and got mine. Manager didn't even flinch when typing in the override. I don't think he even looked at what the item was. I got a $10 gift card, not a $30. No complaints. Now to upgrade the wireless bridges..... ugh....

Office Depot had a sign at the entrance that it was a misprint and would not be honored. Stopped at Best Buy and Wal-Mart on the way home and they were, of course, sold out. I decided it wasn't worth the hassle and didn't check any more stores, because I wasn't strongly considering a purchase due to being happy with my Archer C7.

Just went and got mine. Manager didn't even flinch when typing in the override. I don't think he even looked at what the item was. I got a $10 gift card, not a $30. No complaints. Now to upgrade the wireless bridges..... ugh....
Same. Upgrading from a Asus AC66U. Not much of a increase, but hah, faster wifi is always a good thing.

Almost didn't get mine because they pulled the item up online and it was showing $199.99.

Same. Upgrading from a Asus AC66U. Not much of a increase, but hah, faster wifi is always a good thing.

I had a Ubiquiti Air Router. It was okay but the signal wasn't the best. No issues in the house now.

Scored the $99 pricematch and automatically got a $30 gift card at local Wal-Mart. Remember: make sure to take the entire sales ad so they can see the dates, and don't ask about the gift card, it should pop-up automatically during check-out. First store I tried said they would have to call to see if it was in stock at my local office depot (which is bs) in order to pricematch. Didn't waste my time with that idiot. Second store no trouble.

Back