YMMV BB Visiontek HD4850 $149

Sabrewulf165

2[H]4U
this sale ended June 21st

25% off all Visiontek cards this week, and there was a tag out for the 4850 marked down to $149 accordingly. None on the shelf, so I asked customer service about a rain check. They should be able to do it since there's a tag out and the item is covered by the sale in the flyer, but the computer won't let them, so I got a store manager to make a copy of the tag and write permission on there for me two buy two at that price, from that store.

I have no idea if any other stores actually have these on the shelf or even have the tags out for them. None in my area had any in stock according to the store's computer.

photo0047we9.jpg

Sorry for the crap image quality, I didn't realize my phone was on "mobile" (176x144, wtf?)

and yeah I know that sounds questionable but I already admitted this is probably just extreme luck on my part, so I don't really mind if anyone doesn't believe me.

edit - forgot I could just take a picture of the note, duh :rolleyes: :p

DSC04409.jpg

Yea what is the exact detalis of the visiontek deals? I have never heard of this.

when is the exact dates for the visiontek deal and is this all bestbuys or ymmv as well

Visiontek deal is through the 21st on the flyer I got from the front of the store, no idea if it's nationwide or not, but it's on page 22 of the flyer for my area on Best Buy's website. No listing of the card on their site though, so I suspect that I just got extremely lucky. Of course all I have is a photocopy of the tag with a manager's note, so it still remains to be seen whether or not I will actually be able to get 2 cards at this price.

think his store had a pricing error and put out a 4850 tag for the 3850s and he got them to write him a raincheck or something.

think his store had a pricing error and put out a 4850 tag for the 3850s and he got them to write him a raincheck or something.

No it was definitely the right tag for the 4850, but I think you are right about an error in the sense that they just printed the tags and put them out too early.

The tag specifically mentions terascale, so it's definitely not just a misprinted 3850 tag.

yea which BB is this? damn if this deal is true i'd totally push over to ati 4850s and a new gigabyte x48 d6q mobo

I saw the 25% off flyer in Sundays paper. Sounds legit to me.

Reminds me of the 33% off all PNY video cards coupon that Computer City put out a few summers ago when the 6800 series cards came out.

reminder:: Computer City put out the circular and then added the 6800 Ultras to the computer during the week. If you "Pre-Paid" for the card at the business sales counter they had to honor the price. Well - I bought one and waited like 6 weeks to get the card because nVidia soft launched the card with 0 availability.....

This should go much smoother for you. Good luck.

You can go to BB website and load up the Weekly ad for your area by zipcode. I just checked it for my area and it shows the VisioinTek discount. Gonna head to BB after work and see if they have any in stock but I doubt they will.

Edit: Link to add finder: http://bestbuy.shoplocal.com Its on page 22 on the ad I am looking at.

Damn these cards are cheap. If Im not on 2560x1600 Id buy 2. Not sure if how bad the bandwidth limit hit will be at that resolution.

According to Anandtech's preview the games they tested were playable @ 2560x1600 with 4850s in CF

Here are their results

COD4 4xAA - 88.2fps
ET: Quake Wars 4xAA - 53.7fps
Assassin's Creed - 51.9 fps
Oblivion 4xAA 16x AF - 39.5fps

They did note that ATI still seems to have CF issue and the scaling wasn't what you would expect in some games like Bioshock and The Witcher you see little to no difference in performance from 1 to 2 cards... Hopefully they can iron that out with a offical driver release but from what I have heard they haven't had the best results with CF with previous cards.

They did note that ATI still seems to have CF issue and the scaling wasn't what you would expect.

Actually I think it was more like the scaling was awesome in games where it worked, and non-existent in games where it didn't. I'd have to re-check but I think it was about a 50/50 spread. Most of the games where it didn't work well (or at all) were games than ran exceedingly well on a single 4850 already, and the other games will be fixed with driver updates I'm sure. I see nothing but a bright road ahead for the 4850.

I wonder if they can possibly squeeze the kind of performance margins out of it that they got on CoD4 and ETQW. It absolutely destroys the competition in those games.

The games that scaled well in CF were exception scaling... close to 100% in some games. If true, then it bodes well for the fact that supposedly they made actual hardware CF improvements

Actually I think it was more like the scaling was awesome in games where it worked, and non-existent in games where it didn't. I'd have to re-check but I think it was about a 50/50 spread. Most of the games where it didn't work well (or at all) were games than ran exceedingly well on a single 4850 already, and the other games will be fixed with driver updates I'm sure. I see nothing but a bright road ahead for the 4850.

I wonder if they can possibly squeeze the kind of performance margins out of it that they got on CoD4 and ETQW. It absolutely destroys the competition in those games.

Thats pretty much what I meant... in some games the scaling was poor, or non-exisistant like in Bioshock and The Witcher. Overall its a nice cardand extreme value at the price. It definitely has a bright future. Hopefully I can score one on my way home from work and see how well it performs in AoC!!! ;) :D

Went to my local BB just now. They don't have a price sticker for the 4850, but they did have a tag for the 4870x2, 399.00. Didn't show they 25 % off thing so I'll wait

Just got back from my local BB. Nothing in Jersey, NYC or Philly areas. Anyone that feels like driving to Norwalk or Danbury (Connecticut) will be rewarded, though. :) (You're welcome.)

Went to my local BB just now. They don't have a price sticker for the 4850, but they did have a tag for the 4870x2, 399.00. Didn't show they 25 % off thing so I'll wait

You sure that was a 4870X2 at $399 :eek: ? If so, you should get a rain check... those things are supposed to be > GTX280 levels at $499-599... if you can get a commitment for $399 at least you'll make some money selling it off if you don't use it :D

I passed up the $125 Visiontek 3870 a couple weeks back at BB and was just ready to go in and lay down $150 for this thing on the spot. I hit 2 BBs (99th Ave & Happy Valley and I-17 and Happy Valley for all you Phoenicians) and no luck. Actually really disappointed with the selection at one location and the other had the 3870 a couple weeks back. Just goes to show I have horrible timing. If anybody stumbles on one in the Phx, let me know!

Did you miss the tag that said - ALL Visiontek cards 25% off? The hard part is knowing if 300 is a good price for the 4870 x2...

All of the other Visiontek tags had the price already reduced. The 4870x2 tag didnt have a sale price on it like the others.... It also had a little tag underneath it handwritten by the Manager stating the product wa snot in stock and not for sale yet :(

Just went to the Best Buy in Pleasant Hill, CA. Saw the tag for $149 but no video cards around.

I was able to get the 4850 for $162.37 after tax here in Texas. I went to a store close to me and they didn't have the tag out or any of the cards displayed. I asked a salesman to check the system for it and he stated that they should of had 4(prolly some employee snagged them), but he looked everywhere and couldn't find one. So I had him check the next closest store and they reported having 6. I was able to get there 10 minutes before they closed and get one. It rang up full price but I showed them the ad and the manager took the 25% off.

So even if they tag isn't there and even if they ring it up full price you should be able to show them the ad and still get it for $149.99+ tax., at least until the 21st.

THX OP!!!

Just about to install now.. Did some of my own benchmarking in the games I played with my old 8800GTS 512...just to see the difference.

lol. you serious? a 4870x2 for $399. ahaha. that'd be a steal at that price. it looks about right. the 4870x2 is supposed to msrp at $499. dayum.... i'd rain check that. could you please take a pic or scan of that price tag for me?

i saw a tag for the 4850 in the hillsboro store in oregon, but when i asked about it the dude said he couldn't rain check it. i gave up. wish i woulda talked with a manager instead. doh! would have been frikkin awesome. i'm going to go tomorrow and see if i can do it. that'd be awesome if you could scan that and post it. i'd like to use it as leverage. then again that might crap out your deal... so you know... hehe.

i've got 2 on my way from fxvideocards anyhow, but it'd be awesome to have them at that price anyhow.

Just got back from my local BB. Nothing in Jersey, NYC or Philly areas. Anyone that feels like driving to Norwalk or Danbury (Connecticut) will be rewarded, though. :) (You're welcome.)

Hmm no rainchecks? I'm in SJ and want one.. or two.

My question: I currently have dual 8800 GTS 640Mb card. Would moving to the 4850 make sense? If I can get the 4870 X2 for 300 - would that make sense? (assuming I can find the 399 price tag and get them to take 25% off).

Just got 2 at the BestBuy in Rochester MI. 317 after tax. Crossfire here I come.

2 left btw

Going to go look for the card today after work. If I find any in Houston I'll let you guys know....but leave some for other [H]'ers. :p

6 available at the Brandon, Florida store. They are in the back of the computer dept and not on the shelf yet.

Back